POT: Central Square

Discussion in 'Player Owned Towns' started by Poor game design, Jan 23, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

All these POTs are supposed to come with a "Central Square". It seems like this should be an asset, like a paver or sometime.

Thoughts?

2. Senash Kasigal

Senash Kasigal Avatar

As you can see in my current layout, i dont need a central square.
    My "central sqaure" is a Keep Lot.
    But it would be nice to have a few paverns for the ways around the lot.

Btw.: I "have to" plan a new layout, because they flatened the area and i dont have to Build around the obstacles. :)
    Is there now enough space for your 524 Row-Lots?

[​IMG]

3. Solstar

Solstar Avatar

It would be nice if we could design the town center dynamically to suit the dynamic entrances that are going to be introduced.

4. Drocis the Devious

I'm not sure yet. I put down 84 lots in QA and it's much better than it was in R25. But there are still many problems with trees. You have to first get rid of the trees, then place stuff where you want it, then deal with the tree again. It's a pain.

I'm hoping that by the end of next week we have more options for castle walls. This will give me for flexibility and I should be able to push the limits of the template to figure out if it will work or not. Right now, I'm leaning towards doing a static town so I can ensure that I get what I want.

John Markus likes this.
  5. Senash Kasigal

Senash Kasigal Avatar

Trees can be a pain in the .....
    Some are growing in my city walls and i cant pass them when i walk on them.

6. Coconut

Coconut Avatar

There are "central" (flat areas players can design around, do you want a pre fab one? No ty, they need to keep on their track of dynamic stuff for players to design and get away from this template "junk" that we have to use and player keep asking for.

7. ThurisazSheol

ThurisazSheol Avatar

when dynamic towns were not yet A Thing, there was the idea of the central square - then dynamic towns got fairly popular - that let the devs not build around that, and gave us the functionality if we wish to design around it with lot placement, pavers, etc.

i don't see any reason why there should be an asset for this, all the assets they'd use anywayy, are already implemented - fountains pavers lights, etc.

8. Drocis the Devious

Yeah, my thinking is more about paving for the most part. Because we're looking to reduce the number of POT decorations, many of us might not want to create a defined public square using pavers. It would take up a lot of slots. But if there were one single LARGE paver that came with the POT and didn't count against the decoration count, I think that would be well received. :)

9. Coconut

Coconut Avatar

I would not mind a Keep or Castle Sized paver avail to POT owners, but I would still have to count as a deco, but like 2 or 4 each counting a city lot size deco and even add a city size one also, make them craftable abd purchasable :)

But POTs still need that HUGE deco limit increase :)

ThurisazSheol likes this.
  10. redfish

redfish Avatar

Yes, I have an alternative solution which I think is better.

See this thread,
    https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/forum/index.php?threads/surveyors-tools.38617/#post-457872

The thread as a whole is about being able to place surveyor's plots, for things like layout, design, spacing. I still think the suggestion in the OP is a good idea. But at the end, I suggest they could also be used for landscaping.

So for instance, lets say you have a plot of land, and in the plot's menu you have three options --
    - Original landscape (with trees, bushes, etc)
    - Clear trees (flat land only)
    - Paved

This would take care of the "lawnmower" function the devs are talking about. Instead of permanently deleting trees, you could purposely level them, and then return them when you want them back. You could also use this tool to build paved roads, by placing surveyor's plots between house lots and setting their landscaping to "paved."

I'd also suggest the same options apply to housing plots. So lets say you place down a lot, but don't want to clear the trees (because you like them), or want the ground to be paved instead of grassy. You'd just choose the appropriate option in the lot's menu.

No need for a "large paver decoration" to place and fill an entire lot's space, be draggable, and subtract from the decoration count. Just make the landscaping option built-in for lots. Then, in theory, they could even add more options later.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.