POT Choice to remove Single Player Online Mode

Discussion in 'Player Owned Towns' started by Poor game design, Oct 28, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

Yeah, no, their game, their rules, your control over your POT within their rules.

amaasing, Greyfox and Alley Oop like this.
  2. Jatvardur

Jatvardur Avatar

Fine, then let's exclude your POT entirely from the rest of the game. It sits within the game which I donated to: this includes the backend, the art, the template that your POT uses and the server(s) which host your town. My donation went to all of those. Please remove your POT from the servers and also pay for a custom template.

amaasing, Greyfox and galdrmadhr like this.
  3. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

The idea that someone is arguing that my PVP POT is somehow supposed to augment their non-pvp playing style is disturbing. Single Player Online mode (and even single player mode for that matter) cripples my POTs ability to function as intended.

PVP can't be marginalized in areas where the entire purpose of the area is to PVP. At some point in time there has to be a line drawn and the PVE people have to understand that they don't get universal rights to 100% of the game when it comes to where you can and can't PVP. This is clearly one of those times.

I'm not saying all PVP POTs should function like this. I'm just saying MINE should, and that each POT owner should have that choice.

4. Bubonic

Bubonic Avatar

Doesn't the suggestion to kick a player back to the start of the scene (or the overworld map) when changing to or from SPO solve this issue?

serolrom likes this.
  5. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

Think of it like this. How is it any different than your current instance of your POT is full and then 1 more person zones in. They get the entire instance solo, no one has zoned in yet.

Are you going to ask for no instancing of your POT next?

amaasing and Jatvardur like this.
  6. Drocis the Devious

It solves some issues. But it leaves several in the wake of that change.

My POT wasn't designed to be a side show for the curious. Allowing players to "scout" and "map" areas without risk in single player mode is not the biggest problem in the world, but it's significant when it comes to my POT. What value does it provide? Yes, it allows explorers to explore, but they can already do that in my PVP POT, the only difference is that they exclude themselves from the risk of PVP. It's like we're allowing people that refuse to PVP to log into a PVP server. It just doesn't make any sense.

CaptainJack asked the right question earlier. If a tree falls in the forest, does it make a sound? Well in the case of single player online, it does make a sound, and if you're able to interact with the NPC's at the bank, or get to your home for a good nights sleep using single player online mode (without the risk of pvp), then the sound you make when you log back into multiplayer mode is one that goes like this "Ha ha suckers, I used your town resources and I was always safe!" as you immediately take the boat out of Rats Nest.

7. Drocis the Devious

I would expect that if you could have 100 players max in an instance, the new instance would begin to form once we hit 80 and there would be some balancing so that no scene ever had 1 person only in it.

8. Browncoat Jayson

Browncoat Jayson Legend of the Hearth

Untrue. PVP is an aspect of the online game, and can be participated in multiple ways. I plan to play in Friends Online mode, and i know one of my companions has already stated his intention to focus on Chaos, so trips to Shardfalls are obviously going to happen. We intend to fight creatures there, and engage some of our other friends in some friendly PVP, but I acknowledge that not being in Open Play "marginalizes" my PVP. I'm counting on it.

Not because I don't want to engage in risks to harvest materials within the Shardfall, but just because I don't care to deal with dudebros who just want to slaughter every random person who zones in. Friendly competition is fine, anonymous online harassment is not.

I don't particularly care about your POT, but the way I look at it, it should behave in the same way regardless of what style I'm playing in. If I have friends there, they can engage me in our instance and have some fun, if not then I guess I "marginalized" your PVP playstyle. But if you try to force me (or anyone else) into OPO just to zone in, then you might as well remove your POT from the overworld in other modes. It makes more sense for only folks who can enter to even see it, than for it to show for everyone and force them to change to accomodate it.

9. Drocis the Devious

I would say no friends only mode for my POT too.

The rest of the world can act how it wants, but my POT should be set up for good pvp, not the stinky pvp that single player online and friends only mode supports.

mikeaw1101 likes this.
  10. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

Once people figure out the math it's still the same issue.

Now 21 people in a guild pop in and visit your vendors without any PvP.

11. Drocis the Devious

That's a possibility. But they don't have complete control over who shows up in my 563 lot town. If the game is popular and the combat is fun, my town will be overflowing with people that like pvp. If the game is boring and stupid and we only have 100 people in my town, well we've got bigger problems that are beyond my control. I'm not really worried about that use case.

Besides, if I have people trying to game the system like that just to use my vendors, then I must be doing something right. ;)

12. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

If it's like you describe. Will it matter if someone you don't know, don't see, ever, pops in as SPO and disappears forever?

After all, the town will be flowing with people, do you really want that person that is not interested in PvP in there with you? If they are interested in PvP then SPO isn't the mode they want to be in.

Browncoat Jayson likes this.
  13. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

Interesting thought:

The Oracle judges and remembers. Someone flags PvP regularly and their actions are tracked. Same for people that do not PvP. Immoral actions are still tracked. Going into a PvP zone in SPO or FPO does not exempt you from this tracking of actions.

If someone goes into a PvP POT and the NPCs know your reputation as a murderer, thief, or what ever uncivilized act you've committed then the guards are alerted. Woosh, sucked into OPO.

Go into a PvP POT while in good standing with the NPCs and perform any act that alarms the NPC enough to call for help could force OPO.

mikeaw1101 likes this.
  14. Drocis the Devious

There are going to be margins of players, including hardcore PVPers that will weigh the risk vs. reward and play the odds. What I don't want is people playing the odds by using single player online mode, specifically because it decreases traffic in my POT and PVP NEEDS TRAFFIC to survive.

What you're asking me is if I want to hurt people that don't like PVP and I'm telling you there won't be any PVP unless there's a very black and white option. You can look at the shardfalls right now, no one is there because they don't have to be. Right now you can go into single player online mode to get your "obsidian chips" and not have to worry about PVP. That's why it's a bad mechanic, because it gives people a way out of PVP, even if they enjoy it.

I'm not a fan of the Crowfall development team, but at least they "get it" when it comes to pvp...the game of pvp isn't for everyone, and they continously tell people that whenever someone tries to say "but what about my niche playstyle where I only pvp on Tuesday afternoon with my friends when all we can lose are our shoelaces?" They politely say, "maybe you should find another game to play."

Here in SOTA, the world is 98% PVE with no PVP in sight. All I'm saying is make my POT (and the shardfalls) a place where you either accept PVP or you don't play in the 2% of the world where you have to PVP. It's not at all unreasonable.

15. Drocis the Devious

That's a good thought and I understand the spirit of it. The problem is that you're letting people PVE their way around PVP environments. Show me where I get to PVP around PVE environments? I don't get to do that, ever. So when I read ideas like this, all I can see is the further marginalization of my playing style. All I can see is people saying "it's great that you want to pvp, but go do that without other people (like us)" and I'm sitting here thinking "if you don't like PVP, then don't go into pvp areas, what in the world are you thinking?" I mean, can people log onto pvp servers and not pvp? Is that a thing now?

16. Drocis the Devious

Like, here's an idea. How about I get to attack people that are not flagged for PVP and then they will be flagged for pvp because I attacked them. That's basically the same logic, Ristra. It's like even in my $6000+ POT that I specifically made PVP, I still have people saying "well it's fine but I should still get to walk into your living room, put my feet on your coffee table, drink from your refrigerator and use all your stuff. You won't mind it because I won't even be where you can see me!"

What the heck did I buy when I bought this POT? A fish bowl for PVE guys to walk around and shop in? Frustration times 10000.

17. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

In the Shardfall case, those rare resources/creatures (the PvP motivator) will be available in other places. It's the abundance that makes the Shardfall a place of interest. That abundance has very little weight when the demand isn't there. Such is life in a dev testing phase.

In the case of a POT, is there a PvP motivator all?

18. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

The problem with this is there is an assumption that IF people are not allowed to go into a PvP POT in SPO there will be more PvPers.

All it will do is ensure there are nothing a POT owner can do to pull people into the POT.

If people want to PvP, they will, if they do not want to PvP they will not. If going to a PvP POT is the only option available then what is the reason they are there? Why would it be there in that specific POT only and why would it matter if someone didn't want to PvP. The explorer for example, sight seeing all the zones, no harm what so ever if they are not PvP.

19. Sir Frank

Sir Frank Master of the Mint

Part of the emotional payoff for PvPers is the feeling they get from control.
    Controlling other players. Controlling access to content. Controlling the developers.

20. Beaumaris

Beaumaris Avatar

Wait! What happened to nobody ever being kicked from Rat's Nest?!:rolleyes:

Seriously though, I could see the concern about potential exploits if someone in single player mode has some power to interact with stuff in someone's house or town on an otherwise multiplayer server.

I just don't understand the details of this system enough. Surely exploits will be squashed, no?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.