1. Here you will find official announcements and updates. These announcements are also linked in the Official SotA Discord server.
    We encourage comments from the community! To keep the announcements official, we ask that comment threads be created in the General forums for player input.

Thanks!

PVP & Death: Current Thinking Megapost

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by DarkStarr, Mar 6, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ilcontegis

ilcontegis Avatar

My 2 cent..

- NO gear based
    - YES (player) skill based
    - YES to full loot always
    - Possibility to do macros (timing was everything in UO) pushing buttons mindlessly like in all mmorpg is horrible
    - 2 areas (Trammel PVE & Felucca PVP) with incentives to go to the PVP zone (e.g. double resources)

Basically give us back the old and great Ultima Online Renaissance. Thanks to the insure, 100% safe worlds and gear based objects UO was totally ruined.
    Please do not ruin SotA even before it's out!!

Thank you.

2. Silent Strider

Silent Strider Avatar

I believe vivid yellow — just like most colors with maximum saturation — is actually an eyestrain color. It's also too bright against the dark gray background of the forum. To minimize the effect I would suggest reducing the saturation first, then to darken the color to match the brightness of the gray used in the default text.

3. digitallyjinxed

digitallyjinxed Avatar

I wouldn't worry too much from the vibe I get I fear we pvpers will be doing the majority of the compromising...I will still play because. .. Well it's RG and I'm not going to let one factor of the game drive me away from it. ..I will adapt. ... Although I can't see a majority of pve ers adapting to a pvp world. .. which is why imo it will be catered to them.... Not to mention there is more money in casual gaming. .. and we all know it's money that makes the world go round. ...

4. digitallyjinxed

digitallyjinxed Avatar

I fear a player run economy will fail without full loot.... If nobody is losing items.... nobody is buying them. .. especially if we want to stay away from the WoW epic item based gaming system

5. digitallyjinxed

digitallyjinxed Avatar

The way it was described was that a sword could gain attributes over time such as "elf slayer for killing a set number of elves" this means if I buy this elf slaying sword. .. magically I'm better at killing elves. ...-.- I'm all for silver killing undead better. .. But a sword should be a sword. .. simple as that. .. Then full loot isn't an issue either

6. digitallyjinxed

digitallyjinxed Avatar

When he says skill based he means the skill of the player not the character

7. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

People will be losing items via the decay system. Which is tied to dead and usage. Vastly more controllable and integrated than PvP full loot.

Beno Ledoux and Noctiflora like this.
  8. digitallyjinxed

digitallyjinxed Avatar

They talk about legendary weapons that have aquired attributes. ... Sorry but this doesn't portray much of a decay system to me. .. and I'm sure there will be some way you can pay real money to make your items indestructible. .. This game seems more and more out to make easy money lately

9. Noctiflora

Noctiflora Avatar

The slippery slope of how full loot spills over into, and affects, the whole game and why we could never have any kind of cool features for items like the devs are currently planning, like the item affinities, or like lotro's fascinating "legendaries," in my opinion.

Everything has to keep getting nerfed into oblivion to "balance" pvp until finally they've leveled the playing field to the point there's nothing much interesting left. Back to the same old, same old. Everybody wearing bland, boring gear so the pvpers can full loot each other of all the stuff nobody cares about losing anyway, can replace quickly, and the crafters can just pump out volumes of crap gear.

Not related to full loot necessarily but it's the same with abilities. Any cool, innovative systems or abilities have to end up getting nerfed into bland sameness so pvp can be "balanced." Seen it happen in so many games it gets downright depressing sometimes.

I have high hopes that this team will not cave to the demands for something that, in my opinion, will ruin the potential this game has. I think these guys have all been around long enough that they're aware of these things, as well as ramifications that even most of us haven't thought of.

Ned888 likes this.
  10. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

Where is this talk about legendary weapons?

Item affinity, yes, but not legendary. The items that have no decay are not the best items in the game. The store bought tools have equal counterparts available in game (only they have a decay) but better can be crafted.

I think you are reading doom and gloom into places that there are none.

Gear will decay and can be repaired. Eventually the cost to repair will outweigh the value of the gear. The economy will thrive.

11. digitallyjinxed

digitallyjinxed Avatar

I'm all about swords with cool names. .. Just saying I don't want to see this become post aos UO and everyone running around with the same gear

12. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/forum/index.php?threads/lets-talk-about-combat.4094/

In a simple character leveling progression where you improve your character's stats and abilities, yes, skill over character.

If you look at the focus skill tree in that link you will see that it is going to be a lot more detailed. The character build will be part of the player skill. One small part of the picture but it's the overall "weapon" you bring to the table that wins the fights.

13. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

I am saying it's nothing like UO everything has been designed from the ground up as a new game. Using UO as a model to say what will work and what will not isn't logical comparison in any way.

Take what they have shown us, look at the overall direction, and then reference each individual system. Such as looting, what value does it bring. Yeah, it will make some people happy, but it will make some people unhappy. Other than that what does it bring. Item loss? No, it just changes hands. Item decay handles item loss much more effectively.

Numa, Time Lord, Ned888 and 1 other person like this.
  14. Dhailen

Dhailen Avatar

Just like many of you have stated, decent gear with top notch player skill should be able to win fights against top geared average skilled player, the inverse should be true also. I just take it further... Well built character, high quality items that support your build, and competent player skill should be on par with someone with top level player skill, a decent character build, and good gear... In other words, player skill shouldn't trump all just like you don't want gear to trump all... If we have the same gear, but I'm great at developing my character but my combat skill is slightly above par, and you are top tier at player skill but average at character building.. We should be on par with each other. My player skill at character development should help me compete with your player skill at combat.

Time Lord likes this.
  15. digitallyjinxed

digitallyjinxed Avatar

Sorry I'm totally against gear based pvp..... seen too many pay to win games

16. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

It's not gear based...

Just because some gear is better than other gear does not make it gear based.

Time Lord likes this.
  17. Dhailen

Dhailen Avatar

Never said anything about gear based anything... Especially in that statement. I have said there should be a noticeable difference in the quality of gear, minor but noticeable. Difference that is easily compensated for by quality character development and/or player skill. But I say the same should be true for all 3 sides. You should be able to compensate for not being the greatest at pressing buttons and moving a mouse by developing you character the way you want, getting the best gear you can to support your build, and tactics that compliment the 2.

Time Lord likes this.
  18. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

Get used to disappointment.

Silent Strider and Time Lord like this.
  19. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

[​IMG]
    Rufus D`Asperdi said;

New
    ilcontegis said:
    Give us back the old and great Ultima Online Renaissance.​
    Get used to disappointment.​
    ----------------------------------------------------------------​
    ~TL~
    Rufus is very correct, "this is not that game".
    We can't see or invent anything new by wearing the same old cloths and new invention is always found outside of our comfort zones...
    Because we've already been there ;)
    ~Time Lord~:rolleyes:

20. ilcontegis

ilcontegis Avatar

So you are telling me that SotA will be another garbage mmorpg (full grinding, full item based, fully insured, garbage pvp system, etc..) ?

I thought with SotA they wanted to make the "spiritual sequel" of Ultima Online, not another useless garbage mindless mmorpg...
    If you are true I would be very disappointed...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.