PVP Full Loot and the PKing experience!

Discussion in 'PvP Gameplay' started by Greed., Feb 1, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Greed.

Greed. Avatar

Hi everyone! i'm a 25yo guy and i've played UO since 2004, LOVED mmo games since then!...

I have to say that recently i've been really disapointed with the gameplay of the new mmo's... in my honest opinion world of warcraft TOTALLY screwed up the gameplay of mmo's, with the attractive of 3d graphics people leaved Ultima to try it... at the first time was pretty fun but suddenly it became soooo boring...basically because there was no thrill in playin it!

Yes, the thrill, because i honestly think that that"thrill" was what made my experience on Ultima Online UNFORGETTABLE, i lived amazing adventures, with great wins and great loss...but all i can remember now is just the FUN i had playing it... you had freedom to do whatever you liked! but always with the fear of seeing a red name pop up in the screen!

i'd really love to see that open pvp world again... and please, i mean PLEASE *_* give us FULL LOOT!
    without it the game looses all of his attractive! it was so realistic, well balanced, moved the economy and, actually, made the game fun to play!

don't look at modern mmo's, the gameplay is boring as hell:
    you spawn
    you farm as bad as you can
    you die everytime without consequences
    you pvp in arenas, pvm in insances....
    player's skills are worth nothing...just click the ability and who farmed more wins!
    BLEAH!

Ultima Online was the 1st and GREATEST mmo ever created, basically for it's gameplay...please don't forget what made it so good to play! complex pvp system, player's ability more important than "equip" or "lvl", FULL LOOT! PKING! and actual THRILL!

thanks anyway to all the developers!
    (love u lord B!)
    ps. sorry for my english it's not my 1st language

EDIT: i was forgotten, some say that a today's kid wouldn't stand loosing all of his stuff to a pk...I say that those kids havn't really seen another style of gameplay yet, despite the wow-like games, i can assure you when they'll see HOW FUN a sandbox with full loot, open and complex pvp, complex economy, housing, crafting etc, can be they will go MAD FOR IT!
    you promised to don't follow the traced path, and to go where few dare...now prove it and MAKE HISTORY(again)!

2. MagickVile

MagickVile Avatar

I like this.

fumblefingers likes this.
  3. Abydos

Abydos Avatar

Great. Add pickpocket ! :D

4. Phredicon

Phredicon Avatar

This post feels very familiar, as if I had read it before...

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk

5. Orladin

Orladin Avatar

That's one of the worst thing's about WoW though. Sure their may be a 3d environment and graphics but on the other hand they're shoddy at best. Although all the Warcraft games are completely centered and themed around a cartoon theme.
    Also the people over at Blizzard aren't a bunch of fools when it comes to keeping a very broad market. You can run WoW with no problems on a strait out of the box 250$ laptop.
    Broke college students. Check
    Broke high school and jr high kids. Check
    Consoles. Check
    Even if you get the "This computer does not meet the system requirements to play World of Warcraft" gump there's an option to install anyways. Chances are you can still run it. I have a dusty 11 year old Dell desktop (no upgrades to it period) that'll run it absolutely fine.
    Even the original Guild Wars is harder on a comp than WoW.

Not to mention they support ISPs that a lot of publishers don't mess with and actually runs extremely smoothly on it as compared to other games. The way they stream data back and forward streamlines very well with Satellite providers. That opens it up to bored Military people and a lot of people who are out in extremely remote or rural locations. You can't even connect to online console networks via Playstation, XBox, or Nintendo. Free to play games? Nope it's not happening on most of those either.
    You have about a second of lag between your actions but with the way the UI works you can stack up abilities to fire streamline after you get it down. Which takes about 10 minutes to get used to.

fumblefingers likes this.
  6. Ara

Ara Avatar

Yeah lets hope for a game like old felucca UO.

Rilman, apoc01, fumblefingers and 2 others like this.
  7. Morghanu

Morghanu Avatar

I favor open pvp world with full loot rights and thief being able to steal anything...

No instanced pvm plz
    No instanced pvp

Murderers should have penaltys and with right penalties &
    this being a single character game narrows the pk active population

Dont think this will be like UO cause is not isometric gameplay ... Still curious to Check the combat gameplay!

I really just hope they dont make a revamped ultima 9

8. Dulgrand

Dulgrand Avatar

These topics about PvP vs PvE are hot these days, it seems (I joined yesterday).
    Hera are my cents on this. No offenses intented. As I said on another topic, I respect every playstyle and, above all, everybody.

OP, I know EXACTLY what you mean. "Modern" MMOs are boooooring.
    I've played UO and I've doing PvP since 98 release (if I remember right).
    Today's MMOs are made for spoiled kids that don't know how to lost and are weak enough to risk some newbie items for a chance to win. Quoting Aerosmith band, "You got to lose to know how to win". Something I believe, maybe you don't. It's fine.

PvP makes people immerse themselves into the game. You dont simply go AFK into a PvP zone, man... You commit youself, you pay attention, you FEEL the game in a new level. A new world of colors that you've never seen before.

Besides, I think PvP is great for economy AND interaction. Before reading, takes in account that I'm no social engineer neither economist (if I would, I'd be doing this very wrong), but I liketo think I have clear thoughts about a thing or two.

About INTERATION: People these days are too lazy... They see a PK and start non-stop crying, drowning in tears of frustration. They could simply gather a group and hunt the guy. A red-named guy cannot enter on normal cities, they can't buy things that are needed from anyone. Kill that guy, loot him and he's kind of screwed. He will need to find another PK to sell things to him. This crafter PK in question will need to train crafting skills in detriment of a combat one, which means that he's weaker and easily killed.
    All PK problem are easily solved with little thinking.

About ECONOMY: Beyond all that I wrote above, there's a issue of "if I don't lose my items EVER, I don't need a new ones"... There will be a time when EVERY single guy on the server will be the same, have the same gear. Then, the developers will need to lauch new items patch to save us all from boredom. And one might say "Hey, but I will lose my stuff to NPCs if I die"... No, I think you won't. I mean, you don't wanna do dungeons alone, right? What the odds to all of your group dies at the same situation. If even one of them survives, he or she always could loot your body and get your loved stuff back.

Its a never ending cycle that breaks the economy and, as I see, ruins the motivation to be a crafter (besides the skills needed to decorate your and your friends house).

PS on your edit: I think you're right. Today's kids don't know jack about real fun which PvP is. They don't know there's a place beyond that "uh, I need to farm 8 weeks for a new tier 89 for my gear", a place risky - but rewarding.
    WoW-like MMO have spoiled them for years. Grindfest and railroading everywhere and stanced PvPs. I'm talking here like a 80yo grumpy, I know, but these WoW kids need some guidance from oldschool guys lol.

9. Nahin

Nahin Avatar

Why not split servers? Almost every MMO today have PVE only and PVP servers. I think would be better this way. So, for casual players and people that don like PVP at all, just go farm NPC in a PVE server.

Would be a problem if one of those servers get low population, but i dont think it would happen. People would be able to play in both server, would be better if you could transfer your character between servers, or at least transfer itens between Characters.

But i wwould enjoy more as one server with full loot and open pvp, make more sense to a sandbox like SOTA.

blaquerogue likes this.
  10. NRaas

NRaas Avatar

Due to the selective multiplayer nature of the game, one does not need to have phyiscally separate "shards" to separate game-play in this manner.

Those that have the PvP flag enabled will be filtered into their own instance of each hex map, separate from those that do not have the flag enabled. Essentially they will never cross paths, except when the hex map enforces one play-style or the other.

deadq and docdoom77 like this.
  11. Owain

Owain Avatar

With Selective Multiplayer, why have multiple servers? Multiple servers is a much less sophisticated technology, and prohibits players on different servers from EVER getting together.

No thanks.

blaquerogue, Eriador, Devoid and 4 others like this.
  12. Dulgrand

Dulgrand Avatar

Someone please can explain me this "Selective Multiplayer" a bit further? I read a lot of this on the forum but never found a "official" answer.

Anybody could switch their "PvE/PvP tag" at will, any time, or there's a limit/cooldown between changes?

A PvP enabled guy will never see a PvE enabled guy or it is only outside of guarded cities?

Jivalax Azon likes this.
  13. NRaas

NRaas Avatar

Since the devs have been quite hush-hush regarding how PvP will be implemented, there is no real *official* details on such.

The information we have is simply a deduction, based on the fact that selective multiplayer *will* be a core function of the game. So it logically follows that the PvP flag will simply be an extension of that system.

However, as you noted, there has been no official word on the subject.

----

Switching multiplayer modes has been noted by the devs as being possible when in the safety of certain towns. So most likely will require that you not be in a PvP settings at the time of switching.

The filtering of selective multiplayer determines who will appear in the same instance as you, since there is a limited number of slots per instance. The filtering will choose the most appropriate instance (when multiple are available) for you to appear, leading to the presumption that if you have the PvP flag enabled, you will will be added to a PvP instance.

14. Owain

Owain Avatar

Selective Multiplayer matches players based on their preferences. If I'm flagged for open PvP, I won't see PvE players. If I later unflattering in a safe area such as a town, I will then be able to see PvE players.

This is of benefit in that my wife is uninterested in PvP, but when I'm not hunting PK's with the KGB, we can still play together.

15. Dulgrand

Dulgrand Avatar

Thank you both, MRaas and Owain, for the answers!

It's a interesting, good way to keep everyone satisfied I think. I have a bunch of friends that are not interested in PvP and that system might suit them well.
    My only concern was if we would be able to see both PvE and PvP people inside certain cities, but with the answers, now I'm sure we can.

16. Nahin

Nahin Avatar

OMG. And i was hoping for something awesome like UO. If this system get real, this game is going to be another WoW. Another piece of garbage.

apoc01 and Greed. like this.
  17. Ned888

Ned888 Avatar

Just to clarify, this is not a MMO.... UO and WoW are MMO's this is a Selective Multiplayer Game.

I have seen people compare it to something like Neverwinter Nights except that the filter is run by the server and not by the GM of the game being run. The filter will probably only allow you to see up to 100 players at a single time on the whole map. It will try to group you with people who have things in common with you, if you are at the most liberal online mode, and then you can go down to friends only, single player online where you see nobody and offline if you want to play completely by yourself.

It's definitely not going to be like WoW and hopefully an improvement on UO.

18. Nahin

Nahin Avatar

When i say that this game can be like WoW, i mean a boring game. That nobody afford loss. Everybody is in a happy and magical land, that only good things happens to your Hero.
    I played NW for a while, good game if you play for 3 weeks, after that everything is the same. PVE, PVE and more PVE, sometimes Arena.
    Instances would be awesome to Dungeons, but for a whole world and cities, not so sure. I would like to see the "world" spinning as a normal day while im being chase or chasing someone down. Immersive. with intances it will be like an arena. Looks like it will be a Medieval The Sim with Craft system, PVE and sometimes a consensual PVP.

At least this is how all this information sounds to me.

But i will keep Faith in a better version of UO.

obs: i understand is not a mmo, its more a sandbox. Wich reminds me Mortal Online a 3d Sand box with Open pvp and full loot. Better game i played after UO. You guys should take a look, its F2p now.

apoc01, Greed. and blaquerogue like this.
  19. Phredicon

Phredicon Avatar

One of the core things regarding PvP that we *do* know, is that ALL PvP will be consensual. No one that wants to avoid being killed by another player will ever be forced to accept that possibility.

Akeashar, docdoom77 and NRaas like this.
  20. Malanthius

Malanthius Avatar

I'm also for full pvp/loot. And I despise pks! I say that in a good way. I've always wondered and maybe Starr or Richard could chime in on this since they were back there with UO. Were the complainers about the pvp system so many in numbers that they outweighed the populating on the game? Or did they just make the most noise? I just find it odd at how popular UO was with it's original rule set and then it was changed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.