PvP Players have a different Mindset

Discussion in 'PvP Gameplay' started by Myrcello, Dec 6, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

@Ristra yes, i did a lot of suffering there and don't want it in SotA.
    That's why i'll not going into pvp until i feel ready to it.
    Skillpoints, Gear, Gold

Maybe, if there will be no caps this will be never.
    Maybe in a year or two...

@Kinkara like your pureness.
    Most people are talking about fairness and want to have a challenge.
    While i don't doubt some want that i think most people don't get it that the basic idea of pvp is: I own U

Most people seem to not say it loud because of moralists denunciation or their own cognitive dissonance

2. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

Yep, it's the level/gear wall. A fundamental source of hatred when it comes to WoW PvP. Unless you get into the game early and grind out the leveling while the population is still low. Then you get to beat on those still working the process.

3. Vallo Frostbane

Vallo Frostbane Avatar

Well you wouldn't PVE if you don't get sth out of it... so what are we discussing here? If a game has PVP, PVP will always get you sth you wouldn't necessarily get without doing it.
    If people can avoid competition without any disadvantage they will always do that.

The XP Bonus was a low hanging fruit to fix risk vs reward in flagging and made the game vastly more interesting for the most people I play with.

Adam Crow, Numa, EDDYCORP and 2 others like this.
  4. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

Blood Walls in Yssam, oh ja bloodwalls :-D

Vallo Frostbane likes this.
  5. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

I thought it's the thrill that wants them to flag pvp, the challenge...

I would love to add some thrill to my rp'ish immersion playstyle.

But suicide is no thrill :-D

Still believe that not loosing XP from pvp death is the best solution.

Solazur likes this.
  6. Vallo Frostbane

Vallo Frostbane Avatar

Since we all come from UO or Ultima I would appreciate we stay as close to the original as possible. Which the XP bonus does well. Ofc I would like to see more, PVP Gear, Special Skills etc etc... but NEVER EVER break PVE and PVP in two branches. Both will die in the end.

We need to learn to live together again and compromise. So if you guys get a new PVE super dungeon, we stop complaining that it's not a Open MP instance, and you PVErs recognize that Competition won't work without rewarding those who participate in it? Deal?

7. Vallo Frostbane

Vallo Frostbane Avatar

That's very idealistic, but not realistic. ;)

Adam Crow likes this.
  8. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

Small edit above, yeah damn idealistic :D

Last edited: Dec 6, 2016
  9. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

Depends on how you do it.

10. Gideon Thrax

Gideon Thrax Avatar

I'm trying to disprove this idea with how I'm learning to PVP in SotA. All the gear I'm using has starter stats - and I can feel the difference in a fight. I come to a fair fight already at a disadvantage, but that's ok. Nothing I have is enchanted or socketed and every buff I use is on a timer... on the one hand it means I get rocked more often than not, and I mitigate that by unstacking my inventory and carrying only what I'm willing to lose. Death penalties stack up and they suck - but I don't grind solo anymore - I'm joining a party now every time I go out for XP, so it balances out.

And on the other hand, this strategy is forcing me to become very creative in how I use my character, my deck, and I'm learning pretty quickly what works and what doesn't. A few other new/PVE players have taken to this strategy as well - I see them flagged in 5skull scenes all the time. I hope it catches on, because more PVE people will turn out if they feel like they'll have time and opportunity to learn while they level and prepare themselves for greater risk.

11. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

There is value to many aspects of PvP. @Duke Avery Your comments reinforce this.

My thought is they should be adding some content that gives those high level high gear players a better place to be.

Those working on being at that high level won't be getting slowed down and the 25% for being slowed wouldn't be needed.

Numa, iansmellios and Duke Avery like this.
  12. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

It angers you enough to post ss thread that is couterdictory to a post I made clearly stating why PvP in Sota will never be balanced- and as a result will be nothing but a drain on the development team until the end of time.

You even hint at why but you are wrong - it is not practice - it is learning what works or not, It is becoming higher in levels than another player.

A PvP game has a balance from the start - pick up rifle it shoot so far has certain accuracy, and hit so hard. It matter not if you played for a year or a minute.

SotA and any other MMORPG that adds PvP has the problem of equipment, levels of avatars, Sill/spell levels, and templates cannot balance a game that includes those , never.

Now lets look at your thread in general

Try it :rolleyes:

Um this is nothing but a PvP game - sure you can stand around and do whatever you want but each and every player PvPs to actually play the game it is not a RPG.

No wounder it died - one it was a PvP game that left the imbalances there and never overgame them - because it is not possible.

But everyone keeps telling me that is not the point or problem with PvP - hummm:eek:

My point it is a fundamental flaw that can never be overcome with the way the game is set up.

And yet another post stating he needs better gear and learn which skill / deck / "set-up" works pest.

Those are the problems with PvP. There are at least 5 posts saying it is imbalanced even the OP says it. Templates / Equipment / Skills / Spells of the day . . . . . . .

Those are what makes the players and those still trying to play angry with all that is being done to "support" PvP.

Finish the Game that was sold, then spend years trying to balance and make PvP fun and rewarding.

Malimn and Stundorn like this.
  13. Gideon Thrax

Gideon Thrax Avatar

@Weins201 - my post was meant to illustrate that I'm in the game in starter gear and it's possible because I'm mitigating my risks by taking a conservative approach to skill discovery. I didn't say I needed better gear... in fact, I'm 100% positive I can pwn your ass anywhere anytime - and I'll be the lvl62 with 2weeks of PVP history in starter gear doing it. See you around buddy. :cool:

14. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

@Weins201 Totally agree!!!

If people say skillpoints, gold and equip weren't viable, they lie.

It's mainly about these 3 and 75%
    The 25% left is playerskill and practice.

I am a not so bad at pvp, but i never have a chance to even practice, cause i'm always behind everybody expect the roleplayers who just create a Charakter and always and just roleplay and do crafting with materials they can achieve in T1 scenes or they were gifted.
    I know such a Charakter, but it's not me :p

I'm fine with all that, i didnt come here to pvp, was always an option to me and still is a possibility for later.

Malimn and Weins201 like this.
  15. Korim Rackham

Korim Rackham Avatar

All of what yo usaid is true, unless you go competitive play in Overwatch, that is another story.

Myrcello likes this.
  16. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

Ive not read any of the above, sorry.

1. most fun ive had in the game r36
    2. most pvp ive seen r36 vrs r4-35 combined.
    3. consenual system your not forced to pvp.

4. the one ill give the complainers +25% is a very large bonus. 10-15% seams ample pull.

Damn im loving this game!

17. Solazur

Solazur Avatar

well, you hit the nail (or one of them) on the head there. I've never been particularly good at PvP.. idk..

The other day Chris popped on Discord and said he was having a GM event in some (newer I think) PvP zone because he needed to test some stuff.
    As there were not that many people who responded and I had a little time I joined in. Anyway.. PvP'r being.. well PvP thinkers.. a couple fast thinkers zoned out to see if there might be easy pickings.
    Well,, lol there were. Parts were humorous...One individual made a semi plea for a truce as he/we were there to help test something which was not supposed to include our skill at PvP.
    That produced a line that still makes me chuckle as one responded with "Don't tell me how to sota".

That should be on a t-shirt

Anyway... I had to leave before it was all over but I did congratulate whoever it was (ok I know who it was) on their plunder.. in addition to my hand... which I'll admit I was somewhat attached to...they got my beloved bone needle.

I was rather surprised (this on Discord mind you) at part of their reply. They said "...PvP isn't about loot.. it's about breaking your spirit..."
    I had to think about that for a minute.. I mean.. for this individual... "fun" can be defined as intentionally breaking the spirit of another...

I'll admit... I feel kinda bad for them.. their kids... their neighbors... us..

But.. as I like to think I am the eternal optimist (if colored with the realism from my seat) I hold out hope for us all.

I therefore send herewith a big ole {{{HUG}}} to any and all out there who also feel the need to "break a spirit"

I'm gonna kill you with kindness

ps. Ok Ok trimming the snark is on my New Years list

Numa and Myrcello like this.
  18. Audacity

Audacity Avatar

Ex 1: I was in Grunvald Shardfall (sorry House Serenite!) and got too close to those dragons and they killed me. I kid you not, that thing followed me to the anhk and killed me again as I popped up. I did not get mad at the dragon for killing me. I just got determined to get stronger so I can take him down in the future.

Ex 2: I've been with groups in the Rise that wiped multiple times. We didn't complain that those damn fire mages were ganking, we called in friends to fill out our group and tried different strategies until we could take the room.

Pvpers use this same mindset as pve. They just also apply it to fighting other players.

Belgtor, Numa, 3devious and 5 others like this.
  19. Jordizzle

Jordizzle Avatar

I feel the same way. Through all 35 releases the game has been focused on non pvp content. They finally throw PVP players a bone to encourage more people to flag, and the rest of the community cries and cries as if the world is about to end. It's really sad to see how childish people are acting, especially when we were told up front the 25% xp bonus is simply a test. So sad. The pvp flag isn't even forced on anyone. Some people feel like they "have" to flag to "keep up" with everyone else in the game. By that logic I should feel like I should "have" to powergame and play 24/7 in order to keep up with people who are reaching 10 + gm skills already . . .but guess what, I don't feel like I need to do that, so people need to correct their mindset because something in their thinking is screwed up.

Crowquills and Myrcello like this.
  20. Vallo Frostbane

Vallo Frostbane Avatar

Exaclty... OP is just salty and wants a toy someone else has.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.