PvP Players have a different Mindset

Discussion in 'PvP Gameplay' started by Myrcello, Dec 6, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Myrcello

Myrcello Avatar

I searched reasons why players love PvP or find it "FUN"

These statements i found:

The love of winning

The discussions with the opponent or teammates after a match.

A Human is more challenging and unpredictable - winning against a human delivers a higher sence of accomblishment

A PvP Environment is a more thrilling experience

The sense of danger can only come from other players - this gives me the opportunity to experience danger within a save environment - a game

It breaks up the boring Grinding and ads excitement

It's the game we love in a setting where it's not just memorise attack pattern and then hit when safe

Because I like sticking sharp bits of metal into people.

When it's just you and your opponent, and you win because you outwitted them, or out maneuvered them, it's a damn good feeling. 1 shotting people who obviously didn't stand a chance is going to be pretty boring.

The reaction and emotions of real humans before, during and after

It is not repetitive

2. Myrcello

Myrcello Avatar

I am pepper. Not salt.
    And a PvP wan'ts not a toy. He wants to be challenged.
    PvE players need toys. Huge Swords they carry, awesome armors, titles and more titles, symbols and symbols, special emotes. what is perfectly ok.

PvP players will try to remove all the glitter to create a balanced match.

We are pepper my friend.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2016
    blaquerogue likes this.
  3. Gravidy

Gravidy Avatar

I think a lot of the dislike of this 'system' is that it offers a general reward for a specific play-style. Personally I think the game would be better off if PvP was enjoyable standing on its own, rather than giving out general rewards for participation (which is essentially a general punishment non-participation). I suspect a lot of PvPers would be equally frustrated if they were forced to plant and grow a 100 tea trees in order to have their PvP flag enabled.

This is an important point. Different people like different activities. To be successful, the game needs to cater appropriately to different types of people, without forcing people into situations where they are not going to have fun. That, ultimately, is what makes an MMORPG "massively" multiplayer.

Yes, because some people think that it is unfair. You may disagree with them, but it's not unreasonable to call this out as being unfair. (personally, I don't think much of it, but if people care strongly about it, then it's worth having the discussion.)

I agree. I think using "sticks" like this to push people into PvP is a poor decision. I think PvP should be a well designed system that doesn't require unfair prods to coerce involvement. Ultimately, PvP should be its own reward.

Xandra7, Jens_T and Myrcello like this.
  4. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

Do me the favour and back that up with some valid proofs.
    Thanks.

5. Alrik Doom

Alrik Doom Avatar

Mind sets? From what I've seen, some people take games to far, it is just a game, pvp is NOT the main focus for sota, nor is any system, all I see here is people being selfish to what they want, no game can satisfy everyone! To see the complaining on the forums though is a sign of selfish one sided arguments that rarely involve the OP considering everyone else in there complaints!

People, this is a game, still in early release, something so many players neglect to understand! Specially the PVP players that complain about not being catered to, yet from what I see, they are the first to exploit the system to gain there kills! If pvpers actually had a mindset to make there game what they want, they would take the time to arrange events within the game to compliment there pvp gaming, instead they cry out to the devs to do it for them!

Malimn and Myrcello like this.
  6. Earl Atogrim von Draken

No.
    Swatting away arguments is sefish.
    That beeing said, player events dosen't count toward a good pvp system.
    Because the system is still crappy. Only the players try to make the best out of it.
    They have my respect for it but that dosen't change the fact that the underlying system is bad.

Myrcello likes this.
  7. Vallo Frostbane

Vallo Frostbane Avatar

Sry dude I mistook you for another OP in another thread. Ur cool ^^

Myrcello likes this.
  8. Vallo Frostbane

Vallo Frostbane Avatar

Don't get memberberries. Look forward. Leaving an MMO you started is always and YES ALWAYS a mistake. We do it from time to time and noone is immune to it. But you will just see the rollercoaster going up and down again and again.

Myrcello and Gravidy like this.
  9. Insinious FizzleThorpe

Insinious FizzleThorpe Avatar

+1

10. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Nah, he is right.
    I guess it's just natural that the mood swung from fluffyfluffyjoyjoy to...what we have now.
    One extrem to the other.

Blake Blackstone likes this.
  11. Jordizzle

Jordizzle Avatar

I don't think he's right in the slightest. Make a post where you are generally looking for help with something in game and you'll find several players in the community willing to help you for nothing in return. It's when you get into these discussions where peoples opinions are so north pole/south pole that you will see signs of toxicity.

Numa likes this.
  12. Myrcello

Myrcello Avatar

No. i am 1704

13. Myrcello

Myrcello Avatar

Discussions are important. Different opinions also. Even if we get toxic.

Else we end up accepting that

2+2 is 5.

Jordizzle and Vallo Frostbane like this.
  14. Audacity

Audacity Avatar

This is an amazing community. The peeps are mostly all super cool.

The free and open discussion rocks. Just keep in mind that there are always occassional trips to the bargin bins in any Marketplace of Ideas.

Numa, iansmellios and Cordelayne like this.
  15. Cordelayne

Cordelayne Bug Hunter

Myrcello likes this.
  16. Vallo Frostbane

Vallo Frostbane Avatar

Well you brought up an argument... the others here so far were just shooting for breaking their world view ^^

17. Vallo Frostbane

Vallo Frostbane Avatar

WHAT THE HELL HAPPENED?! True for MMOs as well IMHO. ;)

Myrcello, blaquerogue and kl4nk like this.
  18. Duke Lorimus

Duke Lorimus Avatar

One of the best posts I have seen to date .. thanks OP very well said.

19. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

Reasons I Like PVP................

I love to kill off someone that kills off weaker players for a living! (its satisfying when putting someone like that down) and of course I loot them dry!

I like to loot people of everything because 1. they have to go re gear up and I can get away! 2. so I can actually take that awesome sword or armor from you! (I'm not a crafter)

I do like the chance I could get ganked! or the chance you can try to gank me and now your nekkid because that was a bad choice on your behalf!

I like to play the "Hero", the "bounty hunter", "healer" or the "evil guy" that someone needs to kill off!

The only perk I would need would be to have our own economy, and rule (may the most powerful king win) in turn this would build, whos in charge and whos not and if you want that power you have to take it, even if it means building your own army to overthrow the one in power!

We would have our own laws and punishments (screw the Oracle!)
    bounties would be posted and people would collect on them!

PVE can have all their own crap but when they come into our world they will either follow the rules or fall at the wayside!

If Portalarium designed something like that we wouldn't need any perks! If you wanted to come live in the wild west you would be welcomed!

Numa and Myrcello like this.
  20. Kambrius

Kambrius Avatar

As an RP'r that used to play on RP-PVP servers in other games, I've seen two differing mindsets in a PVP population. Mind you, these were servers where being flagged was mandatory, and not this consensual PVP stuff.

One is the competitive, kill for fun, "breaking spirits", "no f**ks given" type who played the game as a game, and sometimes with callous disregard for other players. The other type is the kind that makes the effort to RP the villain, the hero, the bandit, the misanthrope, etc.

To illustrate, it would be

versus

I prefer the latter type because it requires effort and imagination, is perhaps more menacing and entertaining, is more inviting rather than divisive, and can create opportunities for great stories and memories.
    If you look at some of the tools we have, people can play as kobolds, elves, bandits, zombies, etc. if they choose to and it would be great fun to have events and wars and scene occupations etc. if there was community support for such and encouragement for that sort of play. That's why I can appreciate what @Kinkara and @blaquerogue has to say because that's the spirit of RP-PVP. Although spawn camping is bad form and should not be encouraged, if folks are being forced out of scenes for RP reasons, it is justifiable.

Granted, I'm not saying the former manner of play is bad. The way @Myrcello put things is valid. The way @Duke Avery is experiencing it is valid (although I disagree with the 'gaming the game' that is being encouraged). As long as people are having fun together even if it's killing one another over and over again then it's a good thing. Having fun at the expense of others can only occur in non-consensual play, so that form of play is not valid in this game.

As to what's wrong with the PVP scene has more to do with the poor implementation of mechanics (the 25% extra XP is not enticing enough for anyone to go out of their comfort zone), flavor-of-the-month builds that wind up getting nerfed sooner or later, non-randomized spawn zones in all scenes, lack of randomized resurrection spawn points (a la Chaos ankh), lack of diminishing returns for xp loss/gain to discourage griefing, lack of PVP rewards or PVP-earned resources (such as resources used in crafting to help boost item stats to a capped amount higher than those made with regular mats. These could possibly bring in more folks based on mechanics alone rather than needing RP reasons if RPing and immersion-seeking behavior is not one's thing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.