PvP town and Banning Permissions, Does it cross the line?

Discussion in 'Player Owned Towns' started by Sold and gone, Sep 20, 2015.

?

Do you like pvp towns to have banning permissions?

1. Yes

2. No

3. I do not care

Results are only viewable after voting.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hit Girl

Hit Girl Avatar

How are bans effective in any pvp area but negative, this thread is about pvp areas I think. Why would anyone want a pvp town if they do not want to cater to a pvp ruleset? Maybe they could have instead of a ban list an invite list and not have the town show up on the map unless you are invited.

2. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

Who makes the rule set?

3. Hit Girl

Hit Girl Avatar

Does the game not have consent pvp? If you are talked to the oracle then you give consent. Or you enter a pvp area then you give consent. These are game rules. If people have given consent by oracle or by entering a place that requires you to give consent then you are open pvp right? These are game rules.

4. smack

smack Avatar

Actually no. I think it's great that POT owners want to turn their town into a PvP-only one, where everyone is flagged while they are in town. All other towns obey the Oracle flag for only those players that want that wherever they go.

5. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

What if I purchases a POT because I wanted my own area for myself and the residents to RP a city of Orcs. I wish for additional rules to be placed on PvP. Such as all that PvP in my POT must either RP an Orc or be asked to leave.

Should someone visiting the POT be required to RP by ToS? Should the visitor be able to break character in a place that would not exist if I didn't set it up with the conditions that RP is required?

Why would I spend a sizable amount of money on a POT if I can not have some amount of influence on the POT.

6. Hit Girl

Hit Girl Avatar

I would do as grave said and do guild warz. Go PvE and RP guild style.

7. smack

smack Avatar

My only position is against a scene-ban. POT owners can and should be given in-game tools, much like property owners do with Houses and its physical doors. Perhaps an alternate solution would be to ask for town walls and gates. Just don't exploit scene instancing mechanics to do the same.

But having said that, I will re-quote what Richard said in his most recent interview:
    "If you’re going to lock a door and keep me out, if I’m a guy with a battleaxe, I better be able to get thru it. And if you don’t want me to get through it with a battleaxe, you better make it a steel door. But then if I’m a guy with a cannon, I better be able to get through it. And if you still don’t want me to get through it, you better put some kind of magical ward on it."

I'm sure he meant only PvE experiences, but just pointing that out that he's also against using/exploiting invisible walls mechanics, which was why they immediately removed that silly invisible walls for housing lots and gave us physical doors that lock. It's the same thing for POTs. Just ask for town walls and lockable gates. It also helps with the lore and makes the POTs even feel more a part of the map, as other NPC towns are designed with that kind of town design in mind.

But regarding the OP and also referencing to what redfish said in this thread and others, specifically regarding PvP towns, even with physical walls/gates, it would be even better if you can circumvent that using Richard's logic above. PvP is PvP is PvP, which can be managed by players and in-game tools. Breaking the ToS is breaking the ToS is breaking the ToS, which should be managed Devs/GMs, not players. Let's not confuse the two. In any case, they've given us /ignore and /block and /report.

8. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

I'd be more inclined to support no banning for open PvP in a PvE POT than I would for PvP POT.

Why else would you have a PvP POT if not to have a group of people all with like minded rules of engagement.
    I am not sure how that would fix things at all?

So the people in the POT should divide into 2 or more guilds. Then go to war with each other. Sounds rather limiting if you want to be able to have a RP PvP jousting tournament.

9. Hit Girl

Hit Girl Avatar

you could flag at oracle. You the then in a pvp area would still just be at the mercy of other flagged people who choose the oracle.

10. Abydos

Abydos Avatar

PvP Comunity want Great and Bloody guildes wars. We want real pvp. Bans have nothing to do in the PvP POT's.

Anyway, the PvP players do not want this option. No PvP POT owner wants this option.

This is an option that will greatly affect the PvP community.

I would be very embarrassed to tell my friends/guild that my favorite game has such a bad option for the development of PvP.

PvE people had what they want...
    PvP people dont want bad option like this one..

Plz @Chris

11. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

Tesla tower with a kill on sight list. I'd go for that over a ban command any day.

12. Hit Girl

Hit Girl Avatar

Why not put up a portcullis at the entry spot? and then you could set permissions on the gate?

13. Browncoat Jayson

Browncoat Jayson Legend of the Hearth

If no PvP POT owner wants it/will use it, then I don't think we agree on what the word greatly means.

14. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

That would keep people out but how would you get them out once they are in.

15. Hit Girl

Hit Girl Avatar

Ban = exploit of game. Portalarium should be the control of this in pvp.

16. Hit Girl

Hit Girl Avatar

put the anhk by the entry. then put the gate after this so if you had permissions then you can re enter.

17. sake888

sake888 Avatar

If I OWN the Chevy and I OWN the town, how in the world could anyone else make a decision on what I can or can't do with either? 60000 people didn't pay for my car and 60000 people didn't pay for my town, one guy, the same guy did, ME.

Full Definition of OWN

transitive verb
    a : to have or hold as property : possess

b : to have power or mastery over <wanted to own his own life>

For the record, I didn't vote in the poll and I don't, nor will I own a Player Owned Town. If' 230 owners decide I'm scum of the earth and unilaterally ban me, that's their right. I wouldn't disagree based on principle. I'm only in this conversation to better understand other peoples interpretation of logic and so far I'm struggling with some of it.

Budner, Lord Baldrith and Atogrim like this.
  18. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

Sorry Abydos but I know some pvp PoT owners that want this option.
    Though I admit that we might have a different understanding of what a pvp player is ;-)

Xandra7 likes this.
  19. Hit Girl

Hit Girl Avatar

People buy the game. If you town is in the game and they can enter without restriction or notice of restrictions then they should not be subject to the rules you set. Make your town invisible or invite only then people will not be misled or trapped into a situation that you control at your own whim.

wagram likes this.
  20. Hit Girl

Hit Girl Avatar

do your guild not do protections? Do you want people to hire you for defending events?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.