PvP Zones : The richest 1% get richer?

Discussion in 'PvP Gameplay' started by Innessa Lelania, Feb 13, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

Who is this golem dragon?
    What does he know?

2. redfish

redfish Avatar

The most hidden secrets of the mortal plane.

crossbowsoda and Isaiah [MGT] like this.
  3. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

He is someone who thought to actually question Chris on this, chris has a wall of text incoming.

4. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

The fourth line of row row row your boat.?

crossbowsoda likes this.
  5. Ice Queen

Ice Queen Avatar

Well said, you're right about where I am on the discussion. I too lived in Felucca even after the Trammel/Felucca split and I hunted PvP'ers not PvE gatherers out mining and chopping wood. The fact people are being forced into a way of playing they do not like, to appease the minority of players (Pvp'ers) is what I disagree with.

It's basically saying if you want to get more of the rare resources you need to wander on over and get slaughtered to try and do so. It won't work, Pve players will just stay in the safe zones and gather more money to buy those resources and avoid PvP areas altogether, wait til the wee hours or off hours when there are less pvp'ers, and gather the few rare sources they can in PvE areas. It's the whining that will commence a month or so after release from the PvP crowd because no one will come play with them, asking for more ways to bring in the inexperienced so that their playtime will be funner, while sacrificing the PvE people's fun playtime as well, that will be most annoying.

Katrin Bekers [PeV] likes this.
  6. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

Where have they said you will get more rares?

They have said the rares will be more abundant. This does not mean anyone will get more.

PvE and PvP could easily provide the same influx of rares. The Job Board is also another option to obtain these rares.

Kaisa, Tahru and licemeat like this.
  7. Entrappedmind

Entrappedmind Avatar

Let's assume, for the moment, that the "rare resource" in question is "a Chunk of Astral Silver". The spawn rate in the Shardfall PvP zone is between 10 and 20 minutes realtime. In PvE, you need to kill a prohibitively dangerous creature to obtain this chunk. The spawn rate for this baddie is once per hour, and it takes roughly 30 minutes to battle it, depending on the party size. The loot rate for it is 50%.

SO - In three hours, someone camping the PvP zone can get, on average, 12 chunks. On the PvE end of things, you can expect to get, on average, 1 chunk.

Now, let's take this a step further. This Silver is a component of what would be the equivalent of UO's "Invuln" armor. Yeah, we'll go best-of-the-best, just for argument's sake. Let's look at the recipe for an Iron Plate chest piece, and substitute the Silver for Iron Ore. That'd be 7 Silver sheets, 3 Silver ingots per sheet, 4 Silver Chunks per ingot. So, assuming my math is right, 84 chunks.

Camping the PvP zone, you can have enough for a piece of the best armor in the game in 7 hours. A PvE player, on the other hand, is looking at roughly 252 hours. Causing him to resort to your last comment:
    And the PvPer, knowing the stranglehold they have on the market, can price them wherever they want and know that only the highest-level players will be able to afford them - and further, knowing they will pay, because there's no other way to get them.

You've now eliminated the viability of 95% of the crafters in the game, and most likely, forced them out of the game entirely to find a more even playing ground.

The overwhelming majority of pro-PvP posts and arguments on here are based not around making things equal for all playstyles, they're looking to make their chosen play style superior to the rest - despite the fact that we're talking about a statistically miniscule minority. And the more they're catered to, the more inequality the players will see in the final product - with the inevitable outcome being that minority becomes the only players left. This is not good for the game, the devs, the PvE players, or the PvP players. The sooner y'all recognize this, and begin basing your arguments around equality of playstyles - rather than pushing for what's good for you and forget the rest - the sooner a unified front of players can work together for the future of the game.

8. Archaon the Everchosen

Archaon the Everchosen Avatar

Where do you get this notion that pvp players are a small minority? Put in a good pvp system in a game and pvp players will show up.

Tahru likes this.
  9. Entrappedmind

Entrappedmind Avatar

Personal experience. I could go gather hard data, if you'd like - but I can virtually guarantee the data would support my assertion.

EDIT: Welcome to the boards, btw.

Tahru likes this.
  10. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

Compared to PVE in any game PVP is the minority. It just is.

11. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

There is one thing I have learned from reading posts around here. There are a lot of absolutely CRAZY ideas floating around from every type of person imaginable (including me). I am not saying there aren't good ideas sometimes, but it is absolutely depressing sometimes what people come up with.

But, I have not seen the dev's swayed by them and there is every reason to believe that they will continue to strive for a game that is as enjoyable as possible for everyone. I do not believe for a second that the dev's are going to give anyone a gold mine.

12. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

This is true. But I find it amusing that most of the player-run-events in the game right now are PvP?. ;)

13. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

14. Entrappedmind

Entrappedmind Avatar

Nobody ever questioned the passion or involvement of that minority. Just their size.

15. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

Lets be honest there isn't much game here yet....most player run events feature the same 20 or so people.

Themo Lock, Ice Queen and Tahru like this.
  16. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

My entire point is that in this economy thread started by Chris it has been shown that they can monitor and adjust the rate of rares produced. (actually in possession of the player)

The increased abundance is an innitial offset. If it's wrong, they have monitoring tools with dials and knobs to change the balance. If there is a PvP stranglehold, how long do you think it will last before they tweak the rates?

Tahru likes this.
  17. Archaon the Everchosen

Archaon the Everchosen Avatar

Not true, in WOW there is a near even split in population slightly in favor of pve servers but that still is millions of pvp players that play that game over ten years and almost the same statistical split between pvp and pve activity in the game.

I heard this same mantra about pvp players being a minority and a game like Archeage would never attract any interest yet it got over two million players and high sales and it would of kept a majority of the player base if wasn't a broken game, I know a lot people left the game over not being able to get any land space to build on.

Moba games are pvp base, League of Legends being one the biggest online games in the world now. A lot of those players play WoW and other mmorpgs. Things have change since ten plus years ago, pvp centic mmos are now being made because there is a large market for it.

Pvp population will be smaller in Shroud of the Avatar because the game is geared towards older players, but if the pvp mechanics are interesting enough it will attract a larger player base then some pve players are assuming in these forums.

Tahru likes this.
  18. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

This is a bit of wishful thinking....especially bringing up league of legends....there are a crap ton of players playing call of duty too, you could have mentioned them as well. Even if your claims were true about WoW, which I don't think they are but I haven't really looked lately, they still are the minority there by your own words.

Honestly, I don't really care....if it was as popular as you seem to think it is we would have a lot more games focusing on it, but you don't see them do you.

Ice Queen and Tahru like this.
  19. Entrappedmind

Entrappedmind Avatar

If it's not going to have the desired effect of luring victims players into the PvP zones, which is the whole point of putting "rare" resources in there, then why do it in the first place? Why not avoid the situation where it needs to be adjusted entirely?

At worst, without being "adjusted" afterwards, this whole scenario serves to benefit PvP players exclusively.

At best, after being adjusted or if it doesn't need adjusted, it benefits no one.

Under no scenario does it benefit the majority of the playerbase, and only if it's broken does it benefit the PvPers.

To me, that sounds like a concept that is doomed upon conception, and simply shouldn't be implemented - which is why I've argued against it as I have. It's a waste of time and resources that could be better spent/used elsewhere.

Tahru and Ice Queen like this.
  20. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

This statement is not correct. The whole point is an economic point that makes PvP a job (police, soldier, criminal) and allows players to play the job they want. Otherwise, they would be forcing PvP players to PvE, which many have stated they find immensely boring.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.