PvP

Discussion in 'PvP Gameplay' started by mikeaw1101, Dec 14, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bolck

Bolck Avatar

Real sandbox games are not for everyone ......

blaquerogue and Abydos like this.
  2. ElCabong

ElCabong Avatar

Hardcore PvP players are a decided minority of online gamers but they have very strong views that they strongly express in online forums.

3. Xi_

Xi_ Avatar

i've never seen any imperical evidence to back up this claim

Abydos, blaquerogue and Tahru like this.
  4. Heskel

Heskel Avatar

well 73% of all statistics are made up

5. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

Well you dont have to flag PVP with the current set up, PVP is something of a choice for you in this game. So you can very well play it without ever having to PVP, as it should be based on choices!

Abydos likes this.
  6. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

Dont worry solstar im already on it, to stop rampage pks! along with most of my guild! That is my play style i look for those exact people!;)

Abydos likes this.
  7. mikeaw1101

mikeaw1101 Avatar

WTF why are you advertising some other game on these forums? Isn't that against the rules or something? Lord knows I've been "moderated" enough just for arguing with people...

Abydos likes this.
  8. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

It's a trap! as soon as you start fighting about it you are engaging in PvP! D:"

Moonshadow likes this.
  9. Silent Strider

Silent Strider Avatar

Depends on how you define "hardcore PvP player". Besides, the exact numbers are often kept by the devs and publishers of MMOs as strategic data anyway, so there is little info that can be trusted.

Some tidbits do escape at times, though.

For example, PvPers and raiders, together, never reached 10% of the LotRO player base: https://www.lotro.com/forums/showth...RE-Raids-and-the-future&p=7190231#post7190231

Or, in EVE, according to CCP, roughly 50% of new players leave during the first month, a bit over 40% only play safe solo professions like mining and mission running, and less than 10% go do the kind of group and PvP content EVE is famous for: http://massively.joystiq.com/2014/0...ves-plan-to-remove-tutorials-and-reinvent-th/

Add to this that the hardcore PvP games tend to have few players, and the PvP games that do attract millions tend to use matchmaking and not have things such as actual consequences for losing, and I think it's a safe bet that hardcore PvPers are a minority of players overall. Of course, though, how prevalent they are can vary wildly across different games.

10. Ultima Aficionado

Ultima Aficionado Avatar

I think the enticement has to be worth it. Everyone who steps foot into a contested PvP area with full loot endures the same amount of risk. There has been mention of rare monsters and resources with a higher spawn rate in contested territories. These same resources and mobs will be elsewhere, but will appear more frequently in contested territories. I think this is worthy enticement for many PvE players to venture into more dangerous territory.

Now, powerful guilds/coalitions will have strong hold on these resources. I think combat in PvP should be skill based, players who are better at the game or have more experience will emerge victorious even at times against numerical superiority. I remember often engaging against 3-5 players with a good friend of mine in Ultima Online and winning. However, this is a topic worth discussing in another thread.

I remember reading post about the ransom system. This system seems flawed and can easily be taken advantage of. The ransom system could work if the victor could choose whether or not to accept the ransom and could choose a single item to loot. A suit of platemail would weigh far too much for one to carry. Gold and valuable trinkets, even weapons on the other hand can be taken and looted. A system such as this one presents a problem with players who are warriors versus those who are mages. The warrior would not lose as much as a mage whose equipment is lighter. This actually happened in Ultima Online anyway with the weight restrictions.

I am in full agreement upon full loot as it not only amps up the risk, it makes death much more punishing. It seems like a system that is already in place and the algorithms presumably written already with monster loot, therefore simple to implement.

Moonshadow likes this.
  11. Lord Spaz

Lord Spaz Avatar

exactly or how about this: Since you are a wealthy merchant you can hire a group of pvpers if you know someone is waiting for you or if you enter a really hot area. And on the other hand there may be guilds who have pvpers to protect their merchants and miners or whatever

12. ElCabong

ElCabong Avatar

Oh, well, I can't provide any except that I've been playing mmorphs since the first week Ultima Online came out.

I used the the term Hardcore PvP players. These are the people who get killed again and again and again by higher level players and just get made and play on until they're able to get revenge. Most people will quit in this environment. This situation happens in every gave I've played in eventually. It occurs when the majority of players reach the max level and new people starting out at level 10 gets steamrolled by a level 50, this is a DAOC reference.. The worst example of this was when a high level "bot", a macro driven character that was unattended, was left in a newbi starting area. I forget the name of this game, it was a Korean game that got implementing in America. I found out about this from a guy that quit the game. Very few players are Hardcore players.

The best people I've ever met online are PvP players. The WORST people I've ever met online are PvP players. If you could keep the one and remove the other, ALL games would be 100 percent PvP.

Xandra7, Rufus D`Asperdi and Ristra like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.