PvPers, would you play full-time on a full loot, open world PvP dedicated server?

Discussion in 'PvP Gameplay' started by Murdock, Dec 3, 2014.

?

PvPers, would you play full-time on a full loot, open world PvP dedicated server?

Poll closed Dec 13, 2014.
  1. Yes

55.3%
  2. No

39.5%
  3. Undecided

5.3%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hemswal The Descended

Hemswal The Descended Avatar

I was late to vote on the poll but my answer would have been yes. That's how it should be. If you kill someone, you should be able to take whatever you can carry.

Murdock likes this.
  2. Hemswal The Descended

Hemswal The Descended Avatar

I disagree. PvP isn't JUST about killing another player. The game experience is suppose to be immersive and have a certain level of realism. So, PvP is about more than one person killing another. It's about risk vs reward. If you beat someone and you're happy with the results and don't have an interest in their things, then sure, leave the loot. That choice comes down to what YOU want as a player. But, what if you were interested in that flaming sword they were using? Well? You earned it. Take it. Ohh look, they had a full bag of reagents too. Yep, thanks for that. Annnd I was hungry, thanks for dropping me that hunk of cheese.

Murdock likes this.
  3. Katu

Katu Avatar

I actually voted yes for some reason i don't remember anymore. Maybe it sounded right at first, but not anymore. Full loot is not coming, that has been stated by developers and full PVP server is not coming either ( because SotA technology allows all this to happen within one world ).

Memory is strange. It seems to glorify all the nice stuff from history. I already said this, but i will say it again. Ultima online PVP continued to be great, even there was insurance. Infact, fight started to last longer, because players started to have gears that allow you to perform at full level ( balance is other topic ). I mean, wake up! It's NOT the loot that is everything. I would love to have full loot or even one random item taken from person, but as long as there's atleast chance to fight, i give green light. If you are so much in love with UO full loot PVP, go visit UOGamers shards, there's plenty of UO servers out there, that do this.
    With just attacking possibility in PVP areas, that contain something that calls non fighters to come also, that would be great.

I play CS, Neocron, Smite and many other games, where competition is the main element, you fight and reward is that you are still alive.

This is last message i ever put on this or similar topics ( ever is long time, i might break my promise anytime).
    This will not happen.
    Meaningless chatter, that does not lead to anything.

PS: Focus on somekind of compromise and do not just go "me me me me me".
    PSS: IMHO

4. Roper Docholiday

Roper Docholiday Avatar

i would vote no as well... bottom line is even though this might make certain friends of mine mad... i prefer to have them playing with me and not somewhere else. everyone who starts this game now and moves over to a full loot server will/would have an advantage of someone who didn't. can you imagine a new player starting this game under those conditions. where i can see some players offering quarter i see the old habits of the big red guild choking a game down to its knees again more. by splitting the server up you take valuable players away from each other.

my personal recommendation that wont be liked but definitely would fix this problem. (at least for the real pvpers and not the people that just want to abuse low level players) is create an small area or a large island so to speak this size of port mirrion and have it listed as full loot pvp area. put in a top pvp counter in their as well where the one with the most kills has the most notoriety so every one knows who he is. he will have a bounty that can be collected should u kill him while he is on that island. the more kills a pvper has the higher the gold bounty is. heck you could put ranks on it.

this would allow for full pvp and keep the servers together and add a reason for a pve/pvm to actually go their. heck make a quest that requires you to kill x amount of people on that island for a reward (probably a new suit of armor cause u will have lost a few getting the quest done lol)

the only con i see to this will be that some of these hard core pvpers will not be their all the time and it will gradually die out cause of lack of participation. but that can only truly be decided by those that want that hard corp pvp. if it was successful then i believe yall would have a better case of making it a full server thing. but in my opinion if it was successful would u want to leave at that point knowing u can have the best of both worlds.

****sub note**** id make the island free of housing just rez points and banks and i would make a rez point somewhere that when u rezed u were not attackable as u geared up ie a building that while dead you could enter and rez, or when u died you took a timer penalty in a box where u could use the bank as u waited the timer out and get re geared and when the penalty was over it forced u out to a random location on the island so a pvper wouldn't be able to camp rez points to get easy kills.

please let me know if this would suit you as a pvper or pve/pvmer i try to focus on possible solutions than argue the merits of why we should shouldn't or why we cant or place blame on what caused this not to happen

5. Murdock

Murdock Avatar

Great for "immersion". Easy for someone to claim they want immersion, but another to walk-the-walk. Good post.

6. Murdock

Murdock Avatar

Another great post Applerust, thank you.

7. Murdock

Murdock Avatar

Thank you for weighing in and thinking outside the box. However, PvPers want full world PvP and not just an arena. We can go play FPS if that's all we wanted. We want sandbox environment, risk v. reward, accountability, skill, and reputation.

8. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

This is all going to be available, once everything is implemented.

9. Murdock

Murdock Avatar

The game is still being built along w/any "core foundation". Things can change along this path...in fact it would be silly if they didn't. I personally known that RG reads these debates and considers them deeply. If the course was set-in-stone there wouldn't be a need for forums.

Keira OFaolain likes this.
  10. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

As a developer, some things should never be changed after initial conception. For RG, this has been some very key principles. Such as everything in the game should be usable. Or the virtue system that reflects your action.

If UO dropped the virtues or made them easily circumventable it would have disenfranchised the players. Just as it would if SotA flipped over from being a fantasy game to a scifi in episode 2.

The Kickstarter put much of this on the table for us. The rest is what makes RG who he is, and why we are all fans.

11. Ninogan

Ninogan Avatar

Wait, is SOTA not going to be full loot open world pvp? I thought it was... Desire to play is now 0.

12. Arradin

Arradin Avatar

Welcome to SOTA Forums!

13. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

Should have read the Kickstarter or the SotA front page.

Heradite and Duke Arradin like this.
  14. Noctiflora

Noctiflora Avatar

Guess you missed this dev post, or maybe didn't read the whole thing. https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/forum/index.php?threads/pvp-death-current-thinking-megapost.8247/

He goes into great depth on the reasoning for the current thinking. Check out the section titled Why No Full Loot. He says "Since there has been at least a few people screaming, “FULL LOOT OR GTFO!!!” in the forums, I want to dig into what the actual implications are to game play and design. " and then he goes on to explain in depth. I really think that thread needs to be stickied somewhere because too many people fail to read it and then get all upset that this isn't UO2.

And also in it, while some things are considered "tweakable," there is this part, which is the one solid promise that convinced me to pledge.............."Rest assured that no matter what we do, players who wish to avoid PVP will never be forced to participate in PVP nor will there ever be non-consensual PVP."

Duke Arradin likes this.
  15. Ninogan

Ninogan Avatar

Heh, that solid promise that there will never be non-consensual PVP makes me feel so much less excited about the game but thanks for linking the post it was a good read. I'd pledge even if it wasn't any pvp in the game at all as I like a lot of other aspects of the game and their vision. I wanted full loot though and I thought i'd read there'd be that but I must have been mistaken, oh well.

16. smack

smack Avatar

PvP is definitely consensual. Full Loot in PvP is still being discussed and they openly gave some ideas on it at the recent Streamathon.

17. sn0tub

sn0tub Avatar

So you mean like how they said SOTA was not an MMO but then ask people to vote for it to be the most anticipated MMO of 2015?

And telling people off for misunderstanding the Kickstarter? You serious? That friggin thing was the best piece of marketing in the history of man kind. That was written to appeal to friggin anyone who had even just glanced at Ultima or UO.

18. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

Free advertising is free advertising. Look at any game on that list, none of them can be considered an MMO.

Impose anger or aggression into your own posts, leave mine out of it.

People read what they want to read. The Kickstarter is pretty straight forward.

19. sn0tub

sn0tub Avatar

Case in point no anger there bud. People read what they want to read.

20. ChosenPredator

ChosenPredator Avatar

I feel we're slowly creeping our way into the acceptance of full loot people are becoming more sanitized to it with all these open world survival games that have full loot, watching twitch.tv and always seeing dayz/arma/h1z1 type of games and probably more being the top viewed games, I would love full loot there is hundreds and hundreds of games that take the safe aspect and cater to those players i mean even if it's just a server that would be good ... if you can't lose anything the world feels fake to me, it's just like you're a untouchable god that risk nothing.

I miss the old UO so much and can't even play MMOs anymore because it was just so open so free to do whatever you wanted and it work

the community did it's thing to help against the biggest threat in the world other corrupt players.

Hagen and Keira OFaolain like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.