PvPers, would you play full-time on a full loot, open world PvP dedicated server?

Discussion in 'PvP Gameplay' started by Murdock, Dec 3, 2014.

?

PvPers, would you play full-time on a full loot, open world PvP dedicated server?

Poll closed Dec 13, 2014.
  1. Yes

55.3%
  2. No

39.5%
  3. Undecided

5.3%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. David J Thompson

David J Thompson Avatar

Is it possible to approach this from a different angle? Instead of different servers can they instead have a sliding PVP scale on one server that changes over time? One week each month or so it is full loot PVP everywhere. I'm not a PVP type myself but i like to have as many options as possible for people to play games as they like to.

Moonshadow likes this.
  2. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

@ rune 74 - It would be much better if people posted in posts that actually focused on their play! and not the opposite or what they hate the most!

@Ristra - sure we would a server full of full loot pvp would be nice! Then we dont have to get into dead end arguments between 2 totally different types of play, or 4 types its seem here! Im sure that full loot PVP server would be full enough, for us! then we wont have to worry about messing with each others playstyle or economy. Seems like a win/win situation?!

3. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

You just changed the server. Now there is full loot, what is looted. How do you get that loot other than looting from a player. If it comes from crafting, now there is crafting, what about gathering.

People that gather and craft are now affected by this PvP server.

Joviex likes this.
  4. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

Hate is a pretty strong word, as long as people are advocating changing the game to support PVP as the main facet of the game you will have many people commenting on not liking that. That isn't trolling, that is giving their opinion. You may not like hearing it, but they are just as entitled to voice their dislike of certain ideas.

5. Xi_

Xi_ Avatar

great idea and one I've not heard mentioned, this idea has great possibilities!

mbomber likes this.
  6. charock

charock Avatar

Open world PvP dedicated server for PvP Players !

YES !

blaquerogue and cariac like this.
  7. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

Maybe i need to clear the air here, the OP question was "Would you play full time on a full loot PVP dedicated server" If that option was offered yes i would! But i really dont think the OP meant only one server?! I think he meant if there was an additional server for it.

So the regular server (what they have set up now is still there) I dont think it was meant to push all to a full loot full world PVP server?

If someone has to be forced to play a certain way its not fun for anyone! I dont want to force anyone to play a certain way, but i on the other hand would like to play a different way than what we have right now, but until then i will just deal with it.

I hope that cleared up some of your thought process Arradin! and anyone else thats clinging to your shirt tail :)

Abydos likes this.
  8. Abydos

Abydos Avatar

What about the filter for not see the PvE players outside the cities ? The idea was discussed into a hangout.

blaquerogue and Tahru like this.
  9. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

The only problem is some of us still have PVE friends that are cool to adventure with, so i dont know how they will do that part of it, but if a second pvp only server were to open i would just be on there, possibly have another character to play with my PVE friends on the other server! If not i would just be on FullLoot PVP server and im sure most of my friends would come over there. They all know that if i had a choice i would pick that one, and they show the same respect for me and my play style as i do theirs, a lot more than some on here! :) I definitely would have a separate account to play with them in PVE.

Keira OFaolain and Abydos like this.
  10. Abydos

Abydos Avatar

Too many poeple ll go on steam and buy the game if we can get a full PvP server whit decent loot system. :D

I know a lot of guild waiting a full PvP game whit the depth of SotA.

Murdock and Keira OFaolain like this.
  11. jondavis

jondavis Avatar

Just to note:
    For me it is not just about a PVP server.
    If the sever was just to kill players like Battlefield/Battlefront than I'd probably still not play this game.
    I'm looking for:
    1. A criminal system
    2. red/blues or evil/good
    3. able to loot any and every corpse along the way but yea you could go criminal doing so

This along with things like
    Stealing
    Placing traps - like trapped chests - dropping poisoned food on the ground
    Take over each others land through control points.
    Have some buildings that can be torn town and rebuilt.
    Fight for whats right or Murder and terrorize others.

This is the kind of server I would play on even if it meant getting ganked all the time.
    That only means you find friends for protection or find ways to craft and make your items again.

This is what the game is missing now.
    So if this means going to a PVP server than I'm there.

12. Arradin

Arradin Avatar

Yes, this is something i was hoping for aswell. That is how i initually understood "Selective Multiplayer"

You would only see the kind of people that share interrestest with you ( isnt that almost a quote? ) , meaning that pvpers would see other pvpers, and same with RPers etc.

That would mean that flagged people see eachother, which would give the illusion of " open pvp ".
    It would be nice, but i don't really like it 100%. I wan't to interract with pvpers aswell, i want to meet new people, good and bad kinds.

But this is the best solution where everyone can be equally satisfied

13. Roper Docholiday

Roper Docholiday Avatar

I will add my two cents in im sure i will be bashed and misquated but that is fine by me. i did love pvp in uo. i can remeber very fond times. I was a memeber of a guild that pkd pkers. the propblem with open loot system is as follows.

1) people put alot of time into building a suit and certain charatures rely heavily on items in their back packs that cant be insured (if their was an insurance system which again takes away from the concept of full loot) archers for one with thier arrows add the fact in this game you need like 5 differant arrow types as well.

2) To many pvp guildes take the top pvpers and prey on the less skilled fun for the pvper but being complelty shut out of neccesary items in the game had a far more negitivce inpact on uo than ever raised its standerds. name one shard that the big red guild didnt choke the game down to nothing. a roving guild that has true pvp experiance can easily take out a party desgned to pvm. no compitition. we all loved raiding champs however none of us can say that the fights were a true test of skill or even real pvp it was 90 percent pure griefing stealing from players not as good trying to lvl up and get skill items from top teir players that ahve allready gotten the elite gear and skills. basically it was farming on the week. im saying this as honestly as i can as i did do this.

3) i do enjoy risk and do belive in risk vs reward however theirs a differance between risk w/ success and risk that only ends in death. why would i play a game that if i am forced to play in areas that i cant survive or do well cause pvpers are preying on everyone that walks though. most pvpers didnt prey on pvpers they prayed on trammies looking to farm items they needed to play. Far to many posts about pvp were mostly inclined to farming noobs than actual pvp.

4) i find the argumnt pvp fuels player economy to be false. my reasoning of this is if we break it down to its lowest denominator of items it goes into two catagories. gear and supplemts, ill start with gear. A) player dies and is fully looted that gear now goes into pvpers back pack which more than likly gets given to other players in his guild or stored for when he loses his gear and at best put on his vendor to sell. (no crafters are gaining any money) wich brings us to supplements B) bandaids, pots, food items, and probably a few other unknown (or unknown by me at this time) items. no crafter has ever gotten rich from selling pots or bandaids or even food. certain items we payed more for than others but by no means could drive a crafting econmy. no suits of armour in large scale will be bought im sure some will be bought for speed but not in a large enough scale to say it impacted the econmy to make crafters want to make such suits. im sure they will make suits to try to get to an elite item but that has nothing to do specifically to pvm or pvp both sides want those items.

5) in my personal opinion full loot systems tend to end up for just praying on the week. the elite neutralize the non pvp players and many times opsing pvpers will sit and bs with each other insead of waging a war with each other. (not always but thier is a invisible ranking system and respect with the elite pvpers)

6) i will say this in all honesty. you are more likly to get more people to pvp or even go to pvp areas if they dont lose everything. coaxe them thier vs dragging them kicking and screaming. this game is made up of almost 3 equal parts with sub catagories. PVM, PVP, and crafters. give higher loot drops to pvp areas yes that will make most pvmers or crafters to go thier however if it means i will lose everything i have if i get cought thats a choice to make. if you can be succesful and not get cought alot then yea people will still go. however if you get caught more times than not then now people will stop going no matter how great the reward is on full loot. if they say you get a item or a choice of some item or even you can steal all the resources suppliments etc then more pvmers or crafters will venture thier and you will get the slaughter some of you crave. losing a portion of what u have harvested is acceptable loss for the risk (for me at least) losing everything on my body (is not for me) people who are true pvmers or crafters will probably have similiar opinions.

7) in closing which im sure will start the flame war against me. if you truly love the pvp fight etc it should not matter what u can steal or not its about the fight that many of the posts talk about. if thats the case work to goals that entice people to the pvp side or even areas that they can be pvped. but by no means try to tell me that ganking a low level player is true pvp. to me that is greifing and border line abuse. That is what i worked on when i pvped not so much the ganks which i admit i did do. However it was pk killing we enjoyed the most. that was where the true test of skill came out. pvp vs low level farmers etc to me is as much fun as killing a rabit in the game now.

thier is no easy way to balance pvp. but instead of arguing over full loot or not come together as a group and try to entice the players their not force them you will get more fights than u will if you hammer crafters and pvmers into the ground.

Heradite, Xandra7, rune_74 and 2 others like this.
  14. Murdock

Murdock Avatar

Yup. I haven't seen any big name, long standing, and successful PvP guilds represented in this game aside from my own (and most of my guild-mates probably wont take the plunge due to the PvP/loot restrictions).

15. Murdock

Murdock Avatar

Great post Jondavis. Bring us depth of conflict!

16. Abydos

Abydos Avatar

Several PvP Guilds Waiting For More Infos On The LOOT !

17. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

There will be loot, or did you not see that?

18. Morkul

Morkul Avatar

There is a lot of Roleplaying PvP guilds that are in gear but will come but the game is in a to early stage for a lot of players to be ready yet. We just made our $5k goal to buy a town and I know of several guilds that have pledge for their towns already.

Most true PvP do not care so much about the loot as they do on how the combat and skills will work which is in a kind of limbo right now.

19. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

Somewhere underground waiting to get you!
    Good, this is good news, I am a role playing pvp guild, and my intention is to have Sawtooth Hollow set for role play pvp warfare also. We should talk sometime Morkul :)

20. ridicOne

ridicOne Avatar

If there was ever a good reason for two shards... this might actually be it. Emotions aren't something that can be toggled on/off in a pvp game. By doing so you more then likely remove the risk which in turns removes the emotion tied to that. By allowing to toggle between game modes to gather rare goods will never tie that adrenaline rush like so few games have captured. In fact for as long as I've been playing games I could count on one hand easy how many have done so. If you don't know what I'm talking about it has more then likely never occurred to you.

There is a great opportunity for this game to achieve a level that is rarely reached in games in general and especially one of them formerly being UO. I don't have any sort of diminished value for the PVE side because I fully enjoy that as well. I'm not expecting at launch to have PVP fully integrated and function when the game launches. If the game doesn't give that emotional rush, despair and joy. Why not looking to see if a full time pvp server could achieve what people have been longing for.

Also from a marketing standpoint though I don't see why I would turn an avenue of income away, there are people that have no idea how emotional tied games can become; when your all out there risking everything. No this is not for everyone, but this game has the making for that potential. How many money gaming tournaments are there in the world? that are pve? that are pvp? How many people are playing in this tournaments for what kind of prize money? It's out there it just needs to be tapped.

Keira OFaolain likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.