Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

quick note on obsidian chips

Discussion in 'Release 44 Dev+ Feedback Forum' started by Merlota, Jul 20, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Merlota

Merlota Avatar

I'm aware that releasing Dev+ info is frowned upon but this affects the economy.

2. Peabo

Peabo Avatar

Everything in dev+ can.

3. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

Not that I have any responsibility on this issue nor do I particularly care, but we all signed the contract for Dev+ that restricts us from sharing no matter how important it might be. Every release, there is something important to someone there and they want to share, but don't, just because that is the rule. Port has the right to kick anyone that does this out of dev+.

4. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

This!!

They take this stuff very serious, just saying.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2017
    Retro, Aartemis, Solazur and 2 others like this.
  5. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

While everyone is correct in the incorrectness of posting this, I can't help but wonder if maybe they were just saved a huge amount of anger by this unauthorized notice.

Often they mitigate the damage of such changes, by giving back XP for skills, for example.

Perhaps people deserve a warning on something like this.

Hornpipe and FrostII like this.
  6. GreyMouser Skye

GreyMouser Skye Avatar

They left out the part where every chip you have now becomes 10 chips and it only affects the acquisition rate going forward, not the current stockpiles.
    Oh wait, I made that up as the only viable way to stop the rage whining.

I thought I was ready to finally try the forge.... now I realize I am 10x times behind my schedule. Oh well, early access, it happens.

Solazur likes this.
  7. eli

eli Avatar

Wow, so if it takes 16 tries to get 4 crit pieces, so that you can get 1 to survive 3x MW and 3x enchant, the cost at 25/chip is 12 million gold for a single chest piece.

So the goal is to make a good obsidian piece about 120 times rarer than artifacts?

A normal chest you only did 1x mw and 1x enchant would still be 750k.

Not to mention at least 1 in 10 people won't even make it to 1x1

Darkstarr charity armor should have been priced around 5-6k by the new math

Last edited: Jul 20, 2017
    Solazur, vrillx and Numa like this.
  8. Peabo

Peabo Avatar

You should not leak information from dev +, if you were concerned you should of contacted the dev team.

9. dreamlarp

dreamlarp Avatar

Here's a problem I see. It's easy to keep saying that this is early access but they have created and allowed the selling of items for real money. We are not avitars we are real humans who work for our money. Things like this cause loss or expense and unreasonable price hikes that most crafters can not afford. They may have gone early access but the human factor must be considered.

I do understand balancing very well but things like this and the stingy crafting system spacks more of control than balance.

Humbert_Humbert and Weins201 like this.
  10. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

While I agree with this . . . .
    This is why this needs to be changed ASAP,

Since I already brought it up - there is already at least one post from a player (who I know has Dev Plus using this information to try and get a jump on the change . . . . .

11. Cordelayne

Cordelayne Bug Hunter

OMG it's Edward Snowden all over again...:rolleyes:

12. Diab Blackbow

Diab Blackbow Avatar

I received multiple messages yesterday from strangers asking if I had obsidian chips to sell. Discord had people asking.

13. dreamlarp

dreamlarp Avatar

I think he was the good kind of whistle blower. LOL
    But look at the panic in the trade forums. people posting to buy them at crazy prices and others are selling them way too high. From a crafters point f view this game has the worst % as it is especially since they said this was going to be a crafters game. But we can't even make anything with the low drop rates and everyone being able to craft.

Cordelayne likes this.
  14. Merlota

Merlota Avatar

People are buying these with incomplete information and potentially getting ripped off. I make no distinction between selling for cash and selling for IGG given the easy endorsed conversion between the two.

To prevent what I consider fraud (insider trading anyone) everyone in the market needed all the information.

Weins201, Alley Oop and eli like this.
  15. zeme

zeme Avatar

This is... very interesting news! I appreciate the leak, cheers.

Fister Magee likes this.
  16. Net

Net Avatar

I always wonder if such leak makes for less people selling their chips under market value or if it means more people abusing invormation to get extra chips and ingots before the change and get rich after the change...
    Changes like this should at very least make obsidian chips temporarily untradeable and remove them from the loot tables until after the change.

That being said, the obsidian armor is not easy to get, not when you actually want decent levels of enchanting and masterworking...
    And you can get chips mostly in PvP scenes. Which may be easy to get now when they are empty even with forced multiplayer, but down the road those scenes might be more busy and farming for chips will be much harder. Tricky thing to balance.

Anyway, my point is that it is up to Port to take measures that prevent people from being screwed over by upcoming changes. It is nice sentiment to share vital information, but it may do more hurt than good because you still cannot warn everyone. It is Portalarium's responsibility to make the changes and share information with everyone or dev+ only.

royalsexy, Elwyn and Jens_T like this.
  17. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

Its sounds to me like obsidian chips are not gonna be any harder to get. The stuff they craft is gonna be harder. So i can see there being a increase in demand making chips more valuable (it actually started yesterday, when i managed to sell chips for 2x as much as i had been trying to sell them for 3 weeks with no buyers :p ) and chips being more in-demand is a good thing.

The equipment being harder to make just means folks who made it already are lucky, but i dont see this doign anything for obsidian chips other than creating more momentum in the market for them. The people who hoard hundreds of thousands of chips are gonna have a burst of buy buy buy fever until they increase thier hoard by 10x.

Another item to make money off of back in demand $$

18. eli

eli Avatar

So if you want a full set without caring about crit or risking mw/enchant, and can do 150 chips/hr..

You now have a full time job killing low XP mobs (8hrs m-f) for about 4.5 months.

Sorry that's not rare, that's simply not going to happen.

People are going to buy it, with gold bought for dollars. This creates demand for gold farmers.

Cordelayne likes this.
  19. Skyo

Skyo Avatar

Sure hope it is getting some sort of stat buff lol as there is no wayyyyyyyyy it's currently worth the work

20. ErikRulez

ErikRulez Avatar

Yeah, sounds like obsidian armor is a total non-starter for me. Since persistence I've just gotten about 5k chips stored up. There is a point when the grind and trouble associated with obtaining prevents it from being worth trying.

Cordelayne likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.