R29 postmortem saddened by...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Brass Knuckles, May 5, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ice Queen

Ice Queen Avatar

+1

Ristra and Moiseyev Trueden like this.
  2. Elnoth

Elnoth Avatar

7 pages on gear breaking and not one single mention of the fact that right now there is a gear breakage system in the game - called enchanting. When I enchanted a couple of items I got a very clear warning that if the craft fails, then the item would be destroyed.

With up to 3 enchants possible to be placed on an item, I would assume (not tested yet, I have only placed the single enchant on items) that putting further enchants on an item has a lower success chance, so to get the best item in game currently you would need to destroy lots of items while attempting these upgrades. It is a good system in the sense that if you are poor, you don't take risks and don't enchant the items, but if you have some disposible gold or resources, you can take the risk and upgrade with an enchant.

agra, Acred, Link_of_Hyrule and 3 others like this.
  3. Moiseyev Trueden

Moiseyev Trueden Avatar

That would probably be because it costs the crafters money and resources without much return for it. 8^)

4. Juzzie

Juzzie Avatar

I hated crafting in world of war craft, give us gear wear and tear.

+1 Breakage system.

5. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

@Ice Queen I believe this is the first time we have been on oposite sides of a view.

Kinda wierd :)

Ice Queen and Moiseyev Trueden like this.
  6. Black Tortoise

Black Tortoise Avatar

I am in favor of perma death for items. I think this is the most fascinating aspect of economy and game engine design/mechanics.

I like the idea that with each repair, there is some chance to reduce some amount of the max durability of an item. The chance of occurrence (which by default is extremely likely) and amount lost can vary with skill and bonuses. Eventually, all items will go kaput and be good for salvage (or bragging rights) only. I like the idea of "dead" items being forged into a new item.

I am in favor of pledge reward items having some kind of not-completely-destroyable enchantment. Same for some special store bought items, and some select special items in the future.

All of this more or less falls in line with UO style. Its a wonderful aspect that pretty much all other games have since avoided, and I miss it.

Item permadeath ftw!

Last edited: May 5, 2016
    PK U likes this.
  7. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

Perhaps there is a reason for that. There is a long list of things that UO did/does that other games do not... for good reason.

Moiseyev Trueden likes this.
  8. Black Tortoise

Black Tortoise Avatar

With that logic, you would then support every aspect of the game that UO did not have in common with other mainstream MMOs. You'd likely not support SoTA at all.

Personally Im of the opinion that "the reason for that" (most games having little to no concept of item durability, and certainly no permadeath of anything) is mass market appeal. Other games also all are pretty much exactly the same as each other except for a few small quirks and different textures. Im not sure if I agree that their reasons for the fostering of the MMO hand holding culture are "good".

Olddog, PK U and SeleneNoctua like this.
  9. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

Uo is a trail blazer, what makes this possible is its crowd funded we get to choose the kool stuff.

Player housing, deep crafting, imersive interactive environments, mentoring vendors use based skills are just some of the other things uo is the parents of.

Still on my wish list fishing, boat fishing seamonsters treasure hunting, boat minig, bards and bucs den ;) id also take siege perlious or how ever u spell it :)

Ice Queen and Olddog like this.
  10. Browncoat Jayson

Browncoat Jayson Legend of the Hearth

If we were dealing with just another MMO, with rare drops and raid gear, I'd be against gear breakage too. I don't want something that takes months of work to get destroyed, when the chances of replacing it is low.

With Shroud, we don't have that. Everything comes from one of two sources: crafting or backer rewards. Backer rewards should really be safe, if they take durability hits they should be able to use a repair kit and be done. Rewards are weaker than crafted anyway. For crafted gear, which will be the vast majority of items, there *needs* to be breakage. Not fast, and quite possibly preventable, but if nothing wears out then there is no reason for crafters six months in.

Repair kits are boring; I see the need for them, but they should be a field kit to restore 10 current durability so you can make it back to town. Item wear, lowering current durability and field repair max, and item damage, lowering max durability, need to be there with clearly defined rules for when they occur. If you keep your durability up, no need to worry about item damage. If not, eventually you will need to replace it. Your choice; keep the item forever by repairing often (daily?) or let it degrade and save money.

Not sure what the debate is. It needs to happen or the crafting game dies.

Acred, Kaisa, SeleneNoctua and 3 others like this.
  11. Ice Queen

Ice Queen Avatar

Aye, I believe you are right, lol. :)

Last edited: May 6, 2016
    Moiseyev Trueden likes this.
  12. enderandrew

enderandrew Legend of the Hearth

If there is long term item affinity that takes months to build up, then you're looking at the same thing.

And how do you handle pledge items?

Crafting works just fine in other games without item breakage. I'm not sure why people are insisting that crafting won't be important unless you have items breaking.

Moiseyev Trueden and Ice Queen like this.
  13. Browncoat Jayson

To keep item affinity, you keep up repair on the item.

Already said about pledge items; they shouldn't break and can be easy to repair. They suck compared to crafted, so no reason to destroy them.

Other games only have crafted items as a small part of the economy. In SotA, crafting IS the economy. Without cycling through gear, it's stagnant and the economy fails. Why craft anything you can't sell? NPCs don't pay enough to be worthwhile to crafters, and an economy based on repair kits is boring.

14. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

Other games arnt crafting games or built as the successor.. most all other crafting games take the easy way out, i played wow for 10 years and uo for 8 ish and i would say in the first 6 months in uo i crafted 1000x times more what i did in the 10 years of wow.

You dont even get a taste of crafting yet in this game 1 because its in EA and 2. There is no population but it totally feels like it will be on par with lame main stream crafting games. Wouldnt you like to fill your vendor with lots of difrent types of gear vrs repair kits?

15. enderandrew

But the very thing people are complaining about in this thread (to which you agreed) is that you shouldn't be able to repair forever. You either need to be able to repair forever, or you lose item affinity.

And there are many ways to make crafting important without constantly replacing disposable gear.

Moiseyev Trueden and Ice Queen like this.
  16. enderandrew

I'm not sure why people think we need a carbon copy of UO's systems and if not, then you're WOW. There are lots of different ways to skin a cat. And even without item permadeath there will be people who need to replace weapons do to PvP, people just wanting to try out new weapons, new players, etc. There will be a market for weapon sales without item permadeath. This assumption that people only buy items from crafters with permadeath is silly. Crafters sell weapons in other games just fine.

17. Browncoat Jayson

I think that items should break down, but I don't have a problem allowing an item to remain in top shape if it remains at high durability. That means players need to be diligent, and spend a lot, to keep on top of it. So yes, you can repair forever, but only if you do it right.

In a crafting economy, I don't see any way to make crafted items a necessary commodity without item degradation. I've seen no better suggestions put forward that would keep crafters in the economy without item breakage, as more than a supply of repair kits.

Kaisa likes this.
  18. Browncoat Jayson

Sure, there will always be a small need for gear lost through various means, or folks switching things up. However, that doesn't make an economy where you can exclusively play a crafter. Without s constant need for influx of new gear, only a very small number of craftsmen are needed. Competition will wither because players can't find enough income to remain in the business. Again, who wants to sell repair kits exclusively? I don't even want to sell a lot of deco; I want to run an arbalest shop. If arrows and carpentry repair kits are the only things I can sell, I'll pass on that play style.

Kaisa likes this.
  19. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

Thats a strange statement since other games do something some way then all games should? I dont want a cookie cutter game, wow is the best of the best at cookie cutter id never come here if this were a wow remake. I want diffrent and a true sucessor not asking for uo but absolutly dont want a wow.

Anyways im done with this thread, the devs have to figure out whats best for the game.. im sure they will look at it all i just hope they dont go with the repair kit version we have now.

20. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

I'm still utterly shocked at Pol on this topic and how anyone can take a contrary view. This seems like an economics 101 topic. Simple supply and demand curve stuff. No need to replace stuff... no demand... no economy... *period*, lets move on.

SeleneNoctua likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.