1. Here you will find official announcements and updates. These announcements are also linked in the Official SotA Discord server.
    We encourage comments from the community! To keep the announcements official, we ask that comment threads be created in the General forums for player input.

Thanks!

R54 Livestream Missed Questions (Part 1)

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by DarkStarr, Jul 5, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jaanelle DeJure

Jaanelle DeJure Avatar

LOL- It's alright, we don't have to agree so long as we both have the space to present our views.

This was always a niche game. And there is plenty of space in a gigantic, and growing, gaming industry, for niche games.

The gaming industry generated over $100 billion in revenues last year. Capturing $2 million a year of that is a tiny, tiny fraction of that. 0.002% to be exact.

Take it from somebody who has owned and operated two successful niche businesses, with a combined annual marketing budget of $0. There's always somebody out there espousing some crusty old advice about needing to "appeal to the masses" in order to build a successful business. It's nonsense. If you consistently deliver top quality products and service, people will find you and pay you lots of money for your work, and recommend your services to others.

Ehhh... yes and no. I think you misconstrued what I meant about "LIKE THAT". It might be pointless to try and go back and forth with this. Obviously- they didn't do what I was talking about, or I wouldn't be here saying they didn't. But I get what you are saying.

Please allow me to remind you... at the time of the SeedInvest:

So... you're telling me that they managed to run off the majority of 150K registered players because the game was "too hard" and needed waving sparkly hands to draw in new players?

And if that's what needed to be done then... where are all the new players? Where are all the old players coming back?

What about the 150K already existing players? How many of them do you think would have stuck around, if they had delivered a fully functional core of a game, and had pushed out all of the "special requests" until the core functionality was established? How many of them do you think would have continued to contribute financially, if they hadn't been ignored when submitting bug reports, or been chased around the forum by moderators trying to stamp out "negativity", and meanwhile allowing vigilantes to run wild and abuse the reporting system?

Well the past is the past. The only potential value it has now is in somebody taking ownership and responsibility for it, and consciously choosing to move in a different direction.

Otherwise, the past is doomed to repeat itself. And if you don't believe me, go ask the Guardian. :D:eek:o_O

Last edited: Jul 11, 2018
    By Tor, Mykll and Cordelayne like this.
  2. Tiina Onir

Tiina Onir Avatar

I did nothing of the sort. I gave my perspective on the question asked. If you want to limit your replies to just a single person, you need to ask them in PMs.

I assume you're capable of presenting your views on your own. I've BEEN explaining my perspective on this. I've never answered on behalf of anyone, they are more then capable of answering for themselves.

I feel the need to speak up for my own opinion. Why you think my opinion is anyone's but my own is just bizarre. Have we really reached the point were we think that anyone speaking about their view on a topic is someone blocking someone else expressing their view? If we're that far gone, I weep for the future.

Not sure where I've ever made that assertion. Maybe you could link me to it? Right, it doesn't actually exist. It would be highly hypocritical if it did, as I've participated in RMTs.

Never said they where. Frankly your assertion that there should be absolutely no in-game explanation is far more of a "gamers are a monolithic entity, and all just like me" position then anything I've posted.

Still not sure why you're going off on me about RMT...

Mostly I'd learn just how much better at chess they are then I am. I already know that.

I would hope you got some enjoyment out of it.

I'm not exactly a powerhouse either.

There's a sentence I could just have easily written my self. Don't know why you're telling me it. It's not a unique experience, it's universal to almost anyone here.

I have no idea about how the devs view you. I have no idea how the players view you. Other then this exchange where you have been bizarrely attributing aspirations to me which I have not expressed, I didn't have any ill opinion of you. You where just some one on the forum who I sometimes maybe agreed with and sometimes didn't.

You'll hear no dispute on this from me. One of the ways it's broken is by not making unintuituve systems clear to players.

Sounds to me like you should find a better group. The people I've gone with don't seem to much care that I'm not a heavy hitter.

Still not sure what any of this has to do with the price of tea in China.

Well, I certainly started out as a $50 player, and am now in for well over a grand. If money contributed is your sole valuation for one's worth to the community, I would expect that should explain why I'm interested in new players, nicely: I was one once.

Why do you hate new users so much you want to drive them away? Really, so much vitriol over a simple message letting them know how a system works. Why? What harm is telling them going to do? I don't get it. Much of what you list are problems and should be fixed, but that's a complete non-sequitur. Fixing this doesn't preclude fixing any of the other issues.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2018
    Sir_Hemlock likes this.
  3. Jaanelle DeJure

Jaanelle DeJure Avatar

OK. I get the sense we are on two totally different planets right now on this, and I imagine that you do too. Why don't we just leave it at that?

If you think it is "unintuitive" for a player to know that they can typically enter a new area, and be able to look around and check things out before rushing into battle, then so be it.

?! Um... yeah maybe we are in different galaxies now. But I will leave you to your perspectives.

But it does. As evidenced by the last year of development. Maybe it seems a simple "quick fix" to you, but I don't think it actually is. And with less resources available than ever before, getting the priorities straightened out is more important than ever.

4. Tiina Onir

Tiina Onir Avatar

I've worked with unity before. Assuming their design is at all sane, it is a simple fix, but if you don't believe me, why not let Portalarium triage the request decide if it's easy or not and assess if it's worth that difficulty (or lack there-of) rather then saying it should never happen?

Sir_Hemlock likes this.
  5. Sir_Hemlock

Sir_Hemlock Avatar

Tina Onir...:) always bringing a touch of class to the rough hood.

6. Jaanelle DeJure

Jaanelle DeJure Avatar

Based on results, I wouldn't assume that the design is sane.

Tiina Onir likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.