Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Rain, Rain, Dark, Rain, Rain, Dark, Dark

Discussion in 'Release 26 Feedback Forum' started by Gamician, Feb 17, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gamician

Gamician Avatar

So I live in the Northeast part of the Country (USA - Real life). I do not know whether the Devs know it or not but it is Winter in this part of the Country, It is Cold, Dreary, Wet, Snowy and at time we go weeks without ever seeing the Sun. It gets dark when we leave for work and it is generally dark on our way home. The words Cabin Fever have got to have started in this part of the country. We are even known for a special breed of retired people called "Snow Birds" who have a residence in a state like Florida in the winter months and come back to this area in the spring and summer when the temperature warms up, the sun shines and it only rains maybe once a week. Do you realize what it is like to then have the same weather every evening when your in the game. Yes, depressing would be a good word to start. I love the Graphics of the Rain, the fog, the lightning, the thunder, etc. but does it always have to rain and be dark. I realize that for those living in areas where the sun always shines and the weather is warm and cozy that having a lot of rain may be different. But for me I live it every day. I'd rather not live it every night too.

2. GraveDncer

GraveDncer Avatar

I live in canada and feel your pain, I would appreciate the weather and night effects more if there was less of it

3. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

I don't mind it so much being here in the NW where it also rains a lot this time of year.. The only problem I'm having is that without a clear sky you can't see the sky.. after all the trouble to build a functioning sky that's supposed to have meaning.. that meaning will be lost on the population if you can't see what's going on.

What I think we could really use is some sort of high level spell or mechanism to control weather. To either summon clouds and maybe rain/storms or banish clouds for a time.

4. Razimus

Razimus Avatar

More rain & darnkess and rain in the dark, thanks.

5. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

I'm looking forward to regional weather effects.

I don't mind Rats Nest being cold dark and rainy, seems fitting to me.

6. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

Very good idea Bowen, kudos :)

Miracle Dragon likes this.
  7. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

We're all here for the fun, right?

I also live in the Pacific NW, and we're knee deep in rain about now.... So I feel the OP's pain.
    Seems like I spend the majority of my time in some degree of "dark nights" or rain or both...

Like Gamician, I love the weather, but give us more sun than rain.... PLEASE.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2016
    Chatele, stratigos, Aldo and 2 others like this.
  8. Xi_

Xi_ Avatar

even I, a desert rat, feel your pain.

If my home town got as much rain as the sota deserts it would not be a desert.

Ronan likes this.
  9. Turk Key

Turk Key Avatar

It's hard to figure out why this excessive stuff happens in the first place. Archers and mages running way too much in the beginning, environmental sounds (birds chirping, planes flying overhead) excessively loud and excessively repeated, darkness so dark no one can see anything, wind whooshing too loud and too frequently, now seemingly endless rain. I get it that these things are pretty neat, but a half gallon of ice cream will make me puke.

Ahuaeynjgkxs likes this.
  10. redfish

redfish Avatar

Regional & seasonal.

11. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Gee.. one might suspect the game isn't fully finished yet.

Chatele, Elwyn and stratigos like this.
  12. Turk Key

Turk Key Avatar

Duh... That's not the point. Just wondering why so many things start out with maximum strength. I mean seriously, if you were developing the first iteration of a birds in the wilderness background, would you program it continuous with high volume on the first pass?

Ahuaeynjgkxs likes this.
  13. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Duh that is the point. Do you expect the first iteration to be perfect and polished every time?

14. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

We expect Q&A plague doc to play it with amplified headphones :p

Aldo likes this.
  15. Gix

Gix Avatar

It's easier to test for bugs when you make something happen over and over again.

For instance, I'm working on a game with procedural generated environments. In a forest scene, I make it spawn a good amount of trees, but it wasn't until I tried making a !@#$ ton of trees did I notice that the coordinates for every 3rd tree was off.

Dialing it down afterwards is much easier. Still, better give your feedback now than wait until the game is released.

16. Black Orchid

Black Orchid Avatar

now your talking weather spells . i like the sound of that snow,hail, rain, lightening , yes like it :)

17. Waxillium

Waxillium Avatar

I believe you're describing a sewer!

18. Razimus

Razimus Avatar

More sewers. More catacombs. I like the concept or work on the current catacomb with the bones skulls and coffins and shelves for the bones of the dead. More of those. But I like snow too. More snow.

Chatele likes this.
  19. Chatele

Chatele Avatar

I like rain, I like snow, I like the thunder and Lightening, and I love sunny weather, all in moderation, with a lil more sun then not ... I love passing showers. I love the morning dew, and the misty nights. I like fog coming off a river or stream. I love it all, but , not every day.... there should be more sunny weather .... I like starry nights, and moonlit nights. And would love to see shooting stars now and then. And seeing vapor come out of my mouth when I speak, or heck just by breathing due to the very cold weather when it's snowing. So on, so forth.... :)o_O

Ahuaeynjgkxs and Bowen Bloodgood like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.