Raising Blacksmithing Masterwork skill - advice please

Discussion in 'New Player Welcome' started by St Drahcir, Feb 26, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. St Drahcir

St Drahcir Avatar

Are there any tips on how to raise this skill? Or is this a skill where you just need to make stuff over and over again and it will gradually increase?

Thank you in advance for any and all advice!

2. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

salvage! all the rusty swords that you would normally sell.

Spoon likes this.
  3. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

Pretty much. But pick up an Obsidian Potion of Guidance first, that'll make it go much faster/cost you less materials.

4. St Drahcir

St Drahcir Avatar

I believe that is for Salvaging skill or Blacksmithing skill my friend. For the Blacksmithing Masterwork it is my understanding you have to craft stuff.

Sara Dreygon likes this.
  5. Furious Farmer

Furious Farmer Avatar

You will need lots of silver, weapons/armor and patience. Don't forget to visit a devotional shrine (I can't remember which one at the moment) to bump up your blacksmithing.

St Drahcir likes this.
  6. eli

eli Avatar

If you raise your producer pool to 3 million+ and use a guidance potion, you will get 1 skill level per use well into the 60's-70's and fly through the upper levels.

If you do what I did, and work consistently at 300-500k XP pool, it will take you months and 10k+ silver.

Also, if you do the specialized masterworking (armor, blade, etc) at the same time as base masterworking, each of them will level exactly half as fast. You do not get a bonus for doing one before the other nor concurrently.

7. St Drahcir

St Drahcir Avatar

What is the silver used for? I've heard its for jewelry, but I'm just not sure how jewelry ties into the blacksmithing part. Sorry for the newb questions, but I'm still fairly new and learning.

8. Browncoat Jayson

Browncoat Jayson Legend of the Hearth

Masterwork always uses silver ingots to enhance an item.

St Drahcir likes this.
  9. Arlin

Arlin Avatar

0) Obsidian Potion of Guidance will make all of the below so much faster.
    1) Work on your combat skills until you're safe-ish in a tier 5 area.
    2) Go to Elysium Mine
    3) Mine silver until your eyes bleed. Keep mining silver.
    4) Keep mining silver.
    5) Keep mining silver.
    6) Keep mining silver.
    7) Keep mining silver.
    8) Mine some iron ore, you will need several thousand.
    9) If you have a couple million producer XP, start masterworking things. For base masterworking, I believe the cheapest base item to make is a dagger which you can make for 3 ingots.
    10) You didn't mine enough! Go get more silver (and iron if you need it)
    11) Repeat steps 4-9 until you have GMed Blacksmithing masterwork.
    12) Repeat this entire process for the sub masterworking skills, then it's time to go back and repeat it for main masterworking because that controls your success chance.
    13) Congratulations on becoming a GM Blacksmith! I hope you secretly wanted to be a miner instead because mining is all you'll be doing! At least it's less stupid than becoming a miner to GM Leatherworking(The process to GM leatherworking is exactly the same except for step 8)!

10. St Drahcir

St Drahcir Avatar

I guess I didn't really understand what Masterworking is. Thank you for all of the info! Lemme check my character to see what exactly is masterworking because I thought it was just recreating stuff over and over and over again with your random chance of "exceptional" or whatever. I had it all wrong.

Edit: Wow, I'm such a dork. I just found the "recipe" for Masterwork. Thank you everyone for all of the info and tips. This is goign to make it "easier" for me to be able to do it - meaning less trail and error. Now to make my fingers and eyes bleed from gathering :)!!

Last edited: Feb 26, 2018
  11. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

you're right, i misread, but the answer actually stands in a way. you cannot practice masterworking on rusty swords but you can on higher-level drops like estocs and still save materials by doing so.

St Drahcir likes this.
  12. Arlin

Arlin Avatar

That's not bad advice. Also, I forgot to mention where to mine iron. The best place(to my knowledge) is Spectral Mines. Lots of nodes, close together, fast respawn, and a short run to Soltown to sell skeleton drops and granite blocks(or save those in your bank if you're going to want to make stuff with them later)

St Drahcir likes this.
  13. Lifedragn

Lifedragn Avatar

I definitely have to back Eli's advice on the craft XP. I have been working on tailoring Masterworking and don't even bother trying to advance my skill if I have less than a million xp pool because it isn't worth the silver. Now that I'm in the 80s with the main skill, I'm looking to bump my craft XP pool up to two million before continuing. I am glad I had only set out with a goal of mastering one craft. It'd be torture to try to manage all of them with these resource requirements and XP requirements. But some people manage.

St Drahcir and eli like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.