Realistic loot

Discussion in 'Skills and Combat' started by Lord_Darkmoon, Apr 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. beastvold

beastvold Avatar

@lordrex - Yes, I like the idea of consistency. Pushing this idea out even further, we should only be able to loot gold, weapons, clothing, and armor from humans and humanoids (not beasts and monsters). And, I would like to see realistic options of things we can do with the corpses of other types of enemies.

Playing with the whole wolf theme this thread has developed...

1) A wolf can be used as "meat" which can be either eaten directly for a minimal amount of hit points, or prepared to give greater amounts of HP (and perhaps other magical beasts can give extra magic/mana as well when eaten). There could be a cooking skill tree that allows you to convert an animal corpse into meat on the spot, and the further down the skill tree you go, the more HP you get from your prepared meat.

2) Items from some corpses could be used as reagents for spells and potions. Perhaps wolf ears or noses or something else? Wolf nipple chips, a la Monty Python... :)

3) Valuable parts of the corpses can be used for crafting purposes. A wolf's fur coat could be crafted into a cape or fur boots (like Serpent Isle). With other animals, perhaps you can get other types special crafting materials - maybe monsters give magical elements that can be combined with weapons or armor.

4) Of course, the corpse can be sold for gold pieces as well because of the valuable items listed above. Maybe wilderness areas can have permanent hunting camps with hunter NPCs willing to buy corpses off adventurers. Though they may pay less than a vendor in town, you wouldn't have to go all the way back.

And, for those that don't like the idea of lugging animal corpses all through the wilderness... don't loot the corpse! (You would still get the XP for the kill.)

Dadalama, Time Lord and zchosen like this.
  2. Silent Strider

Silent Strider Avatar

One MMO that does (somewhat) realistic loot is Lord of the Rings Online. Humanoids (and other things that have a reason to carry such useful items) drop gear, gold, gems, crafting recipes, etc; other mobs drop raw crafting materials appropriate to their type, as well as themed "vendor trash" (items with no use in game whose only use is to sell). Apart from that, there are some times caches of goods in the game world - corpses, abandoned backpacks, chests, etc - that can contain useful things.

Time Lord likes this.
  3. Bayien

Bayien Avatar

I agree with this 100%, I even wrote a forum post on it, if you want to take a gander; however ranty it is.
    https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/?topic=if-i-can-see-it-i-want-it

Time Lord likes this.
  4. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

Has there been any word on what kind of loot you can find on NPCs and monsters? Will I find the loot on the dead NPC that I see on him (he attacks wearing plate mail and a sword and I can loot this plate mail and the sword)?

I think this could be a problem for the economy in the game. The Elder Scrolls Online does not feature this kind of loot - although the single player Elder Scrolls games do. If you are attacked by five bandits all wearing chainmail and swords and axes, you only find gold and maybe some random item. If you could loot everything you see on the enemies, you could sell it all and get richt too quickly.

I hope that the devs find a solution to this problem as I think that it adds a lot to the immersion if you can find the loot on an NPCs that you see him wearing/using. Also I don't want to get any gold or items when I kill animals!

Jivalax Azon and Time Lord like this.
  5. Carlin the Druid Archer

Carlin the Druid Archer Avatar

I guess if the people you fight are strong enough to warrant the reward of getting their armor and carrying all their armor is limited by weight, perhaps that will solve some of the problem. If you are able to kill off 5 guys wearing chain mail then you probably deserve the reward of 5 x chain mail. If there are 5 of you in your party who win the fight, then 1 x chain mail each seems like a fair reward.

They could make it so the armor is damaged from the fight also so worth less to sell.

I definitely want to see 'logical loot' that makes sense... no wolves carrying bags of gold please!

Jambo, Akeashar, Jivalax Azon and 3 others like this.
  6. docdoom77

docdoom77 Avatar

I think you should look at the Ultima 6 project for inspiration. That game has some good loot mechanics. Wolves... nothing. Bears... meat. Pirates: the exact weapons and armor they were wielding plus a little gold. Giant scorpions... nothing. etc. And I've found many spellbooks. ;D

7. stile

stile Avatar

Theres been tons of talk on this. Im on tapatalk and time limited at the moment, so cant toss out a lot of details.

The best source that comes to mind is head over to the portalarium youtube channel and pull up the community panel one. It was done using ultima dragons and the loot system designs where covered extensively by lord british.

8. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

:oops:
    I think the most ridiculous thing I hear about, (or maybe I just done get it), is that somehow we think we can keep anyone from getting rich. "We are already rich" , we own tax free castles and houses. I think it's a strange thought to think we can keep people from having capital of any type.

I do think we need more realistic loot and I'm not a big fan of cash~out gold on the scene. I think pelts should be worth something and if the monster is some type of something that has some sort of intelligence, maybe they have some small cash on them or trinkets they think are of value, or food, water, clothing belt bag, or equipment they were using.
    But I don't like the idea of a monster having a magic sward or something because they're not that smart of civilized enough to have made such a piece, unless they are and demonstrate that they're natural environment or society could produce such. In the area of craftsmanship and good food to eat, I think everything a humanoid makes should far outweigh anything that can be manufactured by a cave dwelling creature.
    Tony Starks doesn't belong in Ultima, or maybe he can make something more from a tesla tower and I don't know what I'm talking abouto_O

Don't laugh, it's happened, I've been just as brain lost in a subject as many of us have...
    Maybe More Often than I Realize:D
    ~Time Lord~:rolleyes:

9. yakumo2897

yakumo2897 Avatar

Skyrim had a really cool system for this. I think consistency breads realism, and agree with the above points 100%. I would like to see the item disappear from the corpse when you take it.

Jivalax Azon and Time Lord like this.
  10. enderandrew

enderandrew Legend of the Hearth

RG has been on the record in previous years of preferring that monsters drop appropriate loot. Wolves weren't carrying lances.

Time Lord and Jivalax Azon like this.
  11. Duke Death-Knell

Duke Death-Knell Avatar

You kill the wolf. You now get ticks and fleas. Congratulations!

12. HoustonDragon

HoustonDragon Avatar

Holy cow, it's the New Britannian Trail! "You have killed a wolf; you have died of dysentery. Reload?" ;)

Time Lord, docdoom77 and smack like this.
  13. Margard

Margard Avatar

You could also get - meat, fur, claws and rabies :p

14. smack

smack Avatar

I actually would love to see diseases in the game that can be contracted by your animal kills. We already know about the Red Thorn Infection so there's precedent for that. So in terms of "realistic loot", I would propose that diseases be one of them :)

Time Lord, Margard and Jivalax Azon like this.
  15. Jivalax Azon

Jivalax Azon Avatar

I agree with what is posted above, with the addendum: Cave dwellers like orcs may not be making magic swords, but they are bright enough to see that it is better than any old rusty poker. The chieftain might claim a magic sword if adventurers had been there and been defeated. Now, I think that level of complexity is too much for games at this time, but I can see a rationalization for why SOME monsters would have good equipment. We all expect dragons to have cool stuff in their horde while we don't think of them as smithing magic plate. Other creatures (some might say beasts instead of monsters) certainly are unlikely to have some treasure types. Yes, I have heard the argument that a pack-rat may have coins in its burrow, but that is a chance thing, not really a "treasure type/loot" thing.

I wish to ad my voice to the plea for realistic loot drops.

Annavas Azon and Time Lord like this.
  16. Curt

Curt Avatar

We need to find the wolf still chewing on her last victim and loot it instead, if we want to find a sword

17. Margard

Margard Avatar

Lyme disease if you go around indiscriminately killing squirrels :D

Dadalama, Time Lord and Jivalax Azon like this.
  18. enderandrew

enderandrew Legend of the Hearth

Scurvy from not eating enough limes? :p

Margard likes this.
  19. Dadalama

Dadalama Avatar

Well, most medieval archers did carry a backup. Though it was usually an axe or mace.

Yeah I would much prefer realistic loot. Or at least sensible loot. there really is no reason to create a game where you're spending most of your time grinding. If I wanted to talk to my friends while doing a repetitive task I'll take up knitting.

20. Nahin

Nahin Avatar

Why Time Lord liked every single post on this Thread!?!

Well i think loot system will be like UO, which IMO was realistic and awesome. You didn't see funboy things like in WoW or other ordinary mmo.

(I really don't like this PrimeRib ( is does not matter) this guy never has a point. He always choose the "easy" way. I would hate play a game developed by you, it would be so average).

LB is not creating a dumb game, his imagination and sense is great to make RPG, we never saw stupid things in his Ultima Series, we probably won't see it in his "Ultimate" RPG.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.