regarding gathering of wood from trees shown in the first video

Discussion in 'Crafting & Gathering' started by coder1024, Nov 9, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. coder1024

coder1024 Avatar

This is definitely a nit pick (and yes, non essential, and maybe fluff), but I thought I'd mention it anyway. In the first video, we see the Avatar using the axe on the tree multiple times. He gets wood from it until eventually it falls over indicating there's no more wood to get.

I think the mechanic here is backwards (perhaps it was just placeholder anyway). You should fell the tree first and then get wood from the fallen portion. Once you've exhausted the fallen portion it should disappear.

You can't get wood before the tree falls :)

If the game didn't have the tree falling at all it wouldn't matter. But if you're going to actually have the tree fall down, then have it fall first and then be used to gather wood.

vjek likes this.
  2. jondavis

jondavis Avatar

Yea I agree, maybe the fallen tree can get smaller as we get wood from it or something.

3. smack

smack Avatar

Perhaps you would get smaller wood pieces as you chop at the tree. Once the tree is cut down, then you can harvest it for logs. Or, they could also simply place fallen trees in the forest too.

4. coder1024

coder1024 Avatar

I think at most you'd get little wood chips, not anything you could really use for crafting. So I don't think it should yield anything until the tree has fallen and you would then harvest logs from the fallen portion of the tree.

Grayhawk likes this.
  5. Duke Lorimus

Duke Lorimus Avatar

Makes sense to me @Coder

If you have a skill of 20 maybe the tree falls you get 2 tree parts for a total of 4 logs and a GM might get 5 large logs to break down to say 10 manageable logs for his/her backpack.

6. Dorham Isycle

Dorham Isycle Avatar

This is definately nit picking. I Don't want to hack at a tree, only to hack at the fallen tree... AGIAN, That's like hacking at a monster, then it falls over, then you hack at it some more because you want what it's made of. Realistic, sure, but I don't want all that intensity, would quickly get over worked. Hack at the tree, it falls over & you click the fallen tree for the lewt, or logs if that's all that trees carry now a days.

7. G Din

G Din Avatar

I don't want to hack a tree , mine some ore etc. I'd rather pay a npc to do the work then waste game time sitting there chopping blah blah blah...

The only reason I even enjoyed crafting in UO was the excitement in fending off reds. Chop chop chop ... boring !!!

At this stage, I have zero interest in crafting except for maybe alchemy because of the dependence on consumables.

8. coder1024

coder1024 Avatar

The amount of time/effort it takes to initially fell the tree could obviously be adjusted. Given that, it wouldn't necessarily have to be a big effort. But it would make more sense to fell it first and then harvest it. If the tree didn't fall at all it wouldn't be noticeable, but its pretty backwards to harvest wood from a tree while its still standing.

Although it may be nit picking (as I said in the OP), RG has indicated that he thinks its important that things in the world actually work and work in a way that makes sense; how you think they should work.

9. Duke Lorimus

Duke Lorimus Avatar

The first double click could Fell the tree and clicking on any part thats on your screen could break down the rest closesest to you would be the last to be broken down , No one said it had to be more cmplicated .

coder1024 likes this.
  10. Devoid

Devoid Avatar

SAWING down a tree is actually faster and more efficient than using an axe.
    SAWING the tree into usable resources is actually faster and more efficient than chopping it to pieces with an axe.
    Chopping is not only less efficient, it causes a lot of wasted resources (wood chips, splinters, split wood etc...). There is also a greater risk that one seriously injures oneself while chopping; there should be an inherent % risk every time one chops wood/trees/lumber.

Mordecai and coder1024 like this.
  11. jondavis

jondavis Avatar

And I was thinking maybe cutting the logs up should go into small wood pile stacks.
    [​IMG]
    Then we could make larger stacks with those.

12. coder1024

coder1024 Avatar

Yes, good point. There should be the option to use a saw instead of an axe and that should result in quicker completion and higher yield, but maybe the saw is more expensive, wears out quicker, etc. to balance that.

13. Dorham Isycle

Dorham Isycle Avatar

The saw would require the carpentry skill, if not sufficient Carpentry skill, you would have a good chance to break the saw

coder1024 likes this.
  14. coder1024

coder1024 Avatar

exactly!

15. Devoid

Devoid Avatar

Of course, chopping a tree down with a sharp axe increases you skill in bladed weaponry; if you don't keep your axe sharp, it will take you forever to chop down a tree, but you will become as strong as a troll and increase you skill in bludgeons.
    Those weapon skills will do one good if a robber shows up and tries to PK you. Those weapon skills will also be handy when you decide to go PK some poor boss in a dungeon.
    The carpenter, on the other hand, with his saw will fell many more trees, and have massive amounts of high quality wood, lumber, boards and planks compared to the guy with an axe, but he will be lacking in weapon skills if a robber shows up, and things won't go as well in that dungeon.

16. coder1024

coder1024 Avatar

I think using an axe to chop down a tree would be nothing at all like using it in combat. I don't think chopping down a tree with an axe would do anything (beyond strength training) to prepare you to fight with one and so shouldn't increase combat skills. Unless you assume your opponent will stand perfectly still, not counter attack, and be made of wood :)

17. smack

smack Avatar

Tool / weapon familiarity or affinity should enable someone to learn a skill faster and be better at it. For example, a person who's used knives all his life will learn knife combat skills faster and be better at them than someone who's never wielded a knife in his life. That person will most likely cut or kill himself on accident.

18. coder1024

coder1024 Avatar

While some skills may have cross-over, I'm not sure it applies in the axe case. I don't know that using a wood axe to chop down a tree will give you anything when it comes to using an axe in combat. It just seems like apples and oranges aside from the strength/endurance gain perhaps.

19. smack

smack Avatar

Heh, tell ya what. You have the option to fight two people. One is an expert at wielding axes all his life. Another has never held one. Which one do you think will give you a better challenge, all other things being equal? Sure, it may not be that big of a difference, but I think there might be some small advantage. Being an expert with your tools / weapons should make it easier when learning skills and practicing them.

Sir Stile Teckel likes this.
  20. coder1024

coder1024 Avatar

I think that would be represented by general attribute gain from wielding anything. So yea, chopping down trees with the wood axe could bump up your stats over time, but its not going to give you combat skill with an axe. I think attributes are a good way to represent what you're talking about.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.