1. Here you will find official announcements and updates. These announcements are also linked in the Official SotA Discord server.
    We encourage comments from the community! To keep the announcements official, we ask that comment threads be created in the General forums for player input.

Thanks!

Release 1 Status

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by DarkStarr, Dec 4, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarkStarr

DarkStarr Executive Producer SOTA Developer

Hello Everyone,

Thank you for your patience at our relative radio silence for the past week or two, as we have put our heads down to get Release 1 ready for you. We are on track to deliver the first early access next Thursday December 12 and we are happy to say that we are going to deliver just about every single item (except for head shapes in character creation). As a reminder, here are the deliverables for Release 1:

RELEASE 1: December 12 - December 14, 2013
    • Install / Patching system: Step one for you guys to play the game is for you to download the game and then patch the game. Since this is the first hands on impression of the product, it is critical.
    • Login / Registration: Players should be able to log in using their existing accounts and if they have not yet registered, they should be intuitively led to the steps to register.
    • Character Creation: Players should be able to create and customize their character. Creation / Customization options for Release 1 will include: name, gender, head shape, skin tone, hair style, hair color, and eye color.
    • Single Player Online: All public releases prior to commercial launch will be online only. For Release 1 and 2, it will be constrained to single player online only.
    • First Town: Our first town, Owl’s Head will be open for exploration. This is important for testing purposes so we can better tune our performance metrics on real user machines. For Release 1, exiting the town will just funnel you back into the same town (anyone see Groundhog Day?)
    • Conversation: Important that players converse with the townsfolk so we can start expanding the dialog system. As you talk to NPCs, we will be tracking your conversations and using them to add more content based on your input.
    • Bag Inventory: This is a hot topic in the forums so we want to get it in your hands for feedback on preferences. Immersion vs. ease of use, let the battle begin!
    • Equipment: Players will be provided with several chests full of “ph@t lootz” (armor, clothes, weapons, etc.) for trying on for size.
    • House Claiming: Players will be able to select a house from the entire list of player houses (even Lord of the Manor!) for free so that we can test out the various size houses on the lots and allow players to test drive the various houses so they can have a better idea of which they ultimately want to own.
    • House Decorating: Chests full of furniture and decorative items will be provided so you can stress test the decoration system and try out various styles of interiors. Help us figure out all the ways you can break things! (Look forward to screenshot contests on this!)
    • Metrics: All the while you are playing, we will be stress testing our metrics system. This system is critical to maintaining a balanced economy, tracking exploits, and gathering data to improve the experience.
    So now that it is clear what you can expect we should also be as clear about what you should not expect:
    • Mac & Linux: We are definitely going to support these Operating Systems but we were unable to get them working satisfactorily for Release 1. For Release 1 we will only support Windows. Our goal is to try again for OSX and Linux support for Release 2.
    • Performance: Our goal with Release 1 was to build a machine challenging scene with Owl’s Head. We have only done rudimentary optimizations and we do not yet have a full suite of fallbacks (LODs, etc.). This means for R1 the game will be quite slow on lower end machines and due to memory usage might be unstable in certain conditions (like densely decorated areas). With each release we will be doing further optimizations and adding to our fallbacks to improve performance.
    • Game Loop: Even though we have clearly stated that there will not be a complete game loop (adventure, loot, spend, craft, quest, etc.) until Release 4 there is still some expectation of those activities. For R1 there is just character creation / customization, NPC conversation, and home decoration.
    • Advanced Player Housing: There are some advanced features for player housing including basements, home exterior decorations, and ceiling decorations that are not yet integrated. Expect to see these appear in future releases with the goal that by Release 4 they should all be present.
    Over the next few days we will release more information about how to install, patch, play, and submit bugs. Thank you again for your continued support. This is truly the most amazing community we have ever worked with and we are proud to be on this journey with you.

Sincerely,
    Starr Long

PS We have included some surprises around Owl’s Head so be sure to explore thoroughly.

Dunric, Noisecore, Arc and 37 others like this.
  2. Alex_Wildeagle

Alex_Wildeagle Avatar

So, specifically what feedback would you like during this time? Just asking so I don't provide feedback on stuff you know won't be great.
    Will there be a specific forum/section for our feedback?

3. Jamist

Jamist Avatar

Excellent news! Very Much looking forward to it and thanks for the update!

4. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

I hope we can get a chance to test the houses again in later alpha tests. I will only have access to a Mac or Linux computer by next Thursday. However I will be getting a new system before the end of the month that will run windows.

5. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

Good point. I think I have a windows xp vm saved some place, but it's for KVM/QEMU I guess I'll have to add those packages to my home system and see how that goes.

6. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

Will PVP be in release 1? :)

I've never wanted to like my own post as much as I do right now.

Noisecore and draykorinee like this.
  7. NirAntae

NirAntae Avatar

*facepalm* Yes, it will be single player PvP. You can kill yourself and loot your own corpse. :rolleyes:

8. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

If you kill yourself only the corpse would be the one to have legal looting rights, the ghost did nothing in the combat! o_O

Noisecore likes this.
  9. Jamist

Jamist Avatar

No Mac support with this release, looks like I will have to drag a PC from work for a few days:)

10. Violation Clauth

Violation Clauth Avatar

PVP in it's current form:
    [​IMG]

edit: sorry to off-topic so hard... couldn't help put it out there... but I'm completely ecstatic and in "fan-boy mode" over R1... lets do this!

11. High Baron O`Sullivan

High Baron O`Sullivan Avatar

A quest!

Time Lord and LoneStranger like this.
  12. Dermott

Dermott Avatar

Next weekend is gonna be FUN!

13. Drocis the Devious

It's pvp I know it!

I'll be out of town that week so I'm probably only going to get to try it out on late Saturday afternoon if I'm lucky. Oh well, that should be enough time to walk around and stack barrels to the sky.

Noisecore and OSullivan like this.
  14. High Baron O`Sullivan

High Baron O`Sullivan Avatar

[​IMG]

15. Fireangel

Fireangel Avatar

*laughs until she snorts*

*ahem*

Thanks, Starr! I also think it is a great community -- sincerely -- and find that for the most part, people are civil, intelligent, and have a good sense of humor.

16. Ao Soliwilos

Ao Soliwilos Avatar

Very unfortunate about no Linux build for R1, I guess I will either try Wine, Windows VM or something.

PS. I love surprises! :)

17. Drocis the Devious

Extremely Selective PVP.

Kuno Brauer likes this.
  18. LoneStranger

LoneStranger Avatar

Who says they are struggling? It's all about a focused test. Using Macs or Linux is another set of variables that they aren't ready for.

Mishri, Ned888, Joviex and 1 other person like this.
  19. Tartness

Tartness Avatar

I am sad, I am away on Release 1 weekend for my father in-law's 75th birthday party!

20. Numa

Numa Avatar

Next Thursday ? Time to spend some of my unutilized vacation leave :)

Time Lord likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.