1. Here you will find official announcements and updates. These announcements are also linked in the Official SotA Discord server.
    We encourage comments from the community! To keep the announcements official, we ask that comment threads be created in the General forums for player input.

Thanks!

Release 2 Impressions (+ Release 3 Stretch Goals!)

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by DarkStarr, Jan 29, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aevans

aevans Avatar

Curious how this will work in regards to having multiple tools in your inventory that are of the same type need for the recipe.

Do you pick the tool that gives you the highest bonuses? The tool that has the least damage? Something at random?

I'm not sure what a good default choice would be, but players can always:
    1. Swap out the tool(s) before pressing the craft button
    2. Limit their inventory to one and only one tool of a type, so it's the only possible selection.

Grayhawk likes this.
  2. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

I'm looking forward to the walking option. However, I hope you guys consider the impact to immersion that "auto run" has in the game. Hopefully stamina and focus will also apply to running and walking.

The average player, heck the majority of players will always run as fast as they're allowed. Just as the majority of players will never sheath their weapons, this really kills RP and multiplayer interactions.

I'd really like to see an auto weapon sheath function, especially if you're out of combat (maybe a timer of 10 seconds is in order?). I would also hope that running would not be the primary source of transportation and walking would be the preferred method of "getting around". After all, there's already going to be a mini-map that allows for super fast travel.

Lastly, walking versus running, would probably help with frame rate too.

3. Daggerithian

Daggerithian Avatar

I'm loving it so far. Great to hear swimming is being added! awesome!

Ned888, Kuno Brauer and smack like this.
  4. Asclepius

Asclepius Avatar

Absolutely awesome. The picture speaks for itself:
    • A dedicated and talented team, which is..
    • Willing to share a game - and their work - which, admittedly is in a very embryonic state
    • Willing and able to adjust things "on the fly" during a public release
    • Willing to adjust schedules to respond to our input and requests
    • Always there to communicate and respond.
    Is there ANYONE out there who does not believe that this is a unique and stellar enterprise, and one which will produce an outstanding result?

Thank you Starr for the update, and thumbs up to all the dev team!! (Dammit, I only have two thumbs...)

Woengus, docdoom77, Dame Lori and 5 others like this.
  5. Akeashar

Akeashar Avatar

From the little time I manage to spend in R2 and crafting... I think I love you. Kidding!

That's brilliant as it neatly counters one of the reasons I didn't play with crafting more at the time. Aussie summer with no AC + making each component manually, each shift or cntrl+click one by one = grumpy Avatar.

I want to know why NPCs like bees! And random names. Been playing through Martian Dreams, and the fact that maybe one NPC knows 'Thank you' really bothered me. So I kept using it hoping someone in 1895 knew what Thank You meant. Didn't their mothers raise them properly? I think that particular gap may have been plugged since R1, but it was just an example of totally understanding where you're from with that. :)

Kuno Brauer and smack like this.
  6. High Baron O`Sullivan

High Baron O`Sullivan Avatar

Can we have flying next?

7. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

Indeed! here hear!

The sky is the limit is what I'm waiting for... I mean literally ... this is a very cool part of our game... is the sky :D

hmm.. what will we see in R3:)
    "keep up the good grand work"!
    ~Time Lord~:rolleyes:

8. jiirc

jiirc Avatar

The tool icon Is a neat idea. Not sure if Mithra meant the title being coloured, but what would be nice is the individual ingredients be coloured green if there is enough to craft an item or red if the quantity is insufficient. Also a red or green colouring of the crafting tool might be called for to communicate whether a crafting tool is available. And if we will be able to craft more than one item at a time, the recipe book could include a quantity right there as well.

Kuno Brauer and smack like this.
  9. NirAntae

NirAntae Avatar

Huzzah! Absolutely thrilled with that list of features to be added!

One thing that would be a great addition if there are resources in time for R3, is a little more variety in clothing choices, so we don't all look virtually identical. (And maybe a skirt or dress or three, for us ladies? *bats lashes*)

10. monxter

monxter Avatar

I was going to make a superman tabard anyway!

11. Kuno Brauer

Kuno Brauer Avatar

I hope this means I can bind FREE mouse look to Left Mouse Button (meaning I can rotate the camera and "look around" as I move without changing the direction that I am moving)...

Time Lord, Lord Baldrith and monxter like this.
  12. monxter

monxter Avatar

That'd be great, I was also missing this!

Silkie, Lord Baldrith and Kuno Brauer like this.
  13. Doppelganger [MGT]

Doppelganger [MGT] Avatar

Bind left mouse button to mouse look? Ouch, that might be ok for these pre-battle alpha releases, but what would you do when combat is implemented? Left mouse click is your trigger finger my fellow gamer! Unless you prefer to swing your sword with a semi-colon or something ;)

Time Lord and Mishri like this.
  14. Kuno Brauer

Kuno Brauer Avatar

We all have our own preferences and gameplay styles....

This is how I prefer to bind my keys: http://www.aionsource.com/topic/19251-tip-how-to-effectively-use-keybinds/

For example, in GW2 I used ESDF for movement, "RT" and "QW" for primary skills, A for healing skill, G for active dodge, "Z,X,C,V" for my sigils/elite skill.

Mouse was used for clicking on people (with LMB), changing direction while moving (hold RMB and rotate mouse while moving), zooming in and out (mouse wheel), auto-running (clicking mouse wheel), looting and interacting with stuff (using one of two extra buttons), and looking around without changing direction of movement (hold down LMB and move mouse around... release to return camera to "normal" position).

I'm not sure what you are talking about because I've never had trouble holding down LMB to look around, then releasing it and using LMB to click on enemies.

Like I said before, it's just a matter of personal preference and what we're accustomed to. I realize WASD/etc. is not easy for many people, and the key-binding scheme above probably won't work for me given the "randomness" that we might see with the deck system. Still, I keep bringing up "free mouse look" from holding down LMB and rotating the mouse because it's a feature that I'm sorely missing, and I realize not everybody uses it, so I dont' want it to get overlooked.

* Edit to add: I think there are possibly some people who don't understand the difference between mouse look and free mouse look. The current mouse look we have (with RMB) changes the direction we are moving, so as we run around, if we "look" to our sides it turns our avatar. Letting us "look" with the simple hold of LMB and moving around the mouse to change the camera view (but not changing our direction) is wonderful for checking out the scenery as you hurry along your way :)

Silkie and Aeryk like this.
  15. Ned888

Ned888 Avatar

While you're working on the key bindings, could you dial up the turn speed for the Q and E keys? I use them to turn my character, not the mouse and they are ssssslllllllooooooowwwwwwwwww! Thanks!

R2 = Awesome sauce! Can't wait for more!

Time Lord likes this.
  16. Ned888

Ned888 Avatar

I'd definitely like the recipes to be greyed out when you don't have all the components. I don't want it to necessarily tell you what you're missing, but just that you can't make it right now.... Missing one too many legs on that stool1 ;)

Mishri and Time Lord like this.
  17. Koldar

Koldar Avatar

Thanks for the update DarkStarr! The stretch goals sound great.

18. fumblefingers

fumblefingers Avatar

Was awesome to read your post.Watched the develps. video, it addressed a lot of our concerns.For a small staff to work out a huge number of things , i feel the team is doing a great job!
    Keep up the good work. [Can't have to many features]

A few more things i like to see yet;]

1.climbing
    2.vegetation in the water, and creatures.
    3.Over head speech, Opts.
    4.In game weather effects, [ rain ,snow.wind.]
    5.A biggie for me please, a female that's not butt ugly.and hopefully some opts. for cosmetic apparel .

Silkie, Lord Baldrith and Time Lord like this.
  19. Dhuran

Dhuran Avatar

Great job on R2! I think the only suggestion I have so far is this:
    While I was messing around with the crafting, I was finding myself wanting a remove all function for the crafting table. Just a simple way that I could get everything off of the table and back into my bags instead of having to individually drag them back one by one.

20. DyNaMiX

DyNaMiX Avatar

Thank you, Darkstarr!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.