Repeat..... Hints on carpentry gains

Discussion in 'Crafting & Gathering' started by Belladonna Rose, Nov 18, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Belladonna Rose

Belladonna Rose Bug Hunter

I know alot have stated doing salvage is good for gains...but what about low mat items to craft that give gains too. I dont always have alot of stuff to salvage so was hoping something could be done.

2. Jace3

Jace3 Avatar

Bella I made GM carpentry and it gets very slow at the upper end. I mean painfully slow. Salvaging is the quickest and best way to gin levels. I scraped every weapon the bandits would give up. I sacrificed a lot of gold to be able to gain carpentry but it was well worth it.

Leelu likes this.
  3. Waxillium

Waxillium Avatar

Flute?

Leelu likes this.
  4. Browncoat Jayson

Browncoat Jayson Legend of the Hearth

I was doing Mugs, because they're easy and I had a lot of timber. 1 Timber + 3 Wax + Rasp + Hammer = Wood Binding, then Wood Binding + Hammer to get Mug. If you want something usable later, add 1 Wax to get a Handle instead of a Mug.

Leelu and Cally like this.
  5. Deadly Habit

Deadly Habit Avatar

Wall Shelf takes only 2 boards.

Budner, Leelu and Cally like this.
  6. Oyjord Hansen

Oyjord Hansen Avatar

I, too, am having a horrible time leveling carpentry. I'm only at 60 skill (54.8 proficiency) and the grind is killing me! Surely I must be doing something wrong. I've been trying to find packs of yellow mobs in t3 zones which drop salvagables, but so far it's hit and miss. Bah.

Maybe I'll also work on the wall shelves listed above.

Leelu and Cally like this.
  7. Jace3

Jace3 Avatar

Don't know what your level is but try Serpent Spine foothills for loot salvageable. I worked that area until I could do it in my sleep but it gave me gm.

Leelu likes this.
  8. Elwyn

Elwyn Avatar

You need to get a big pool, like 1M or so, to get faster skill gains from salvaging. Highvale <-> Resolute is great for having a lot of stuff to scrap.

Cally likes this.
  9. Belladonna Rose

well i am at 79 carpentry.....but the thing says i need 99 to get 70 proficiency....and the recipe for the glass rooftop row house needs 75 proficiency....so no idea how to attain this. And between gathering wood and crystals its become tedious and a pain in the butt to get this skill going. I guess once i get the mats i need to build the house then i can harvest wood and start making stuff to finish gains. I have a guild mate helping me gather stuff some so i can build him a house once i am able....but i dont expect him to keep up all this gathering all the time...but i guess if he wants the house he will continue to help.....Just frustrating right now. Been working on this for a week.

Cally likes this.
  10. Jace3

Jace3 Avatar

If you stand at a +5 crafting table and use a true bronze carpentry hammer (+5) you can make the house.

Keflara and Budner like this.
  11. Belladonna Rose

dont have the true bronze carp hammer

12. Dirk Hammerstrike

Dirk Hammerstrike Avatar

So with a natural 65 proficiency, stand at a +5 table, equip bronze engraved hammer, and you can learn the recipe & make the house?

Cally likes this.
  13. MrBlight

MrBlight Avatar

... theres also the huge issue that no one seems to be addressing here.

Crafting pool. Just like any skill, if you actually build the pool first, its less uses for the same gain. So actually found my carpentry goes up faster by mining, skinning, foraging (and hving those skils off if needed ) .. before doing any real carpentry crafting. It makes a huge difference.
    I think im around 92 or 93, and my salvage is only 70 or so ( i havnt really done a whole lot of salvaging runs, altho i could ) .
    If you sitting there power crafting with a pool under 200k.. then yea.. the grind is brutal.

14. Jace3

Jace3 Avatar

I believe you need 70 proficiency then add the hammer and table. I say this because I was GM carpenter and I needed the table to just learn the recipe. When I added the hammer I could make the house but I failed 8 times before I succeeded.

15. Elwyn

Elwyn Avatar

Actually it's 98 to get 70 proficiency, and don't forget the +5 from the expert tables, plus some amount I don't know yet from a properly engraved tool. (I got the prosperity tools a year ago so I wouldn't have to worry about tools.)

I finally made a row greenhouse yesterday. And since I had to go to 98, I went ahead and got the extra two for my first GM. For now I placed it in Dorwald until I'm ready to put it in Kingsport. It's going to be a lot of work to get my vendor and deco reset.

Dirk Hammerstrike likes this.
  16. Belladonna Rose

i understand using the +5 table and the tool.....but I cant even learn the recipe until i have 75. I finally hit 80 on skill....so honestly no idea how i am going to achieve this.....even at 100. How is one to reach the proficiency to learn a skill if they cant even get the proficiency needed without tool and/or tables. Seems a bit far reached. I know there are some out there that can get the plus tools but there are some of us who cant..
    After reading Cally's post i see i can stand at the table to get the +5. That still leaves me short 5 points. This is getting annoying

Cally and Dirk Hammerstrike like this.
  17. Dirk Hammerstrike

Dirk Hammerstrike Avatar

A Bronze engraving kit + a store bought Carpentry Hammer will get you the +5 tool. Friend me and I'll gladly provide you a Bronze engraving kit.

18. Jace3

Jace3 Avatar

Stand at the table and have the true bronze tool equipped, that should allow you to read the recipe and make the house.

Elwyn likes this.
  19. Elwyn

Elwyn Avatar

I wouldn't be surprised if a similar thing needed to be done to teach recipes slightly above someone's level: go into table, then go into trade mode.

20. Belladonna Rose

thanks alot Dirk and Cally. Now to just get those last points on carpentry and I will be good to go. Almost have all my materials.....so should be ready in a few days.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.