Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Request: No names in the dark

Discussion in 'Release 23 Feedback' started by Poor game design, Oct 31, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

I have a request. You should not be able to see other people's names over their heads without a light source. You should only see names in the area of effect of your light source.

It's a simple thing, but I think it adds a lot to the game.

2. Kether

Kether Avatar

It could be quite cool (but I don't know how feasible) for the name tags to have a transparency value based on both the light level and the distance to your character. Instead of names just popping out they could just gradually appear, needing to be closer to see them in low light, but you could always try to see some names by looking very carefully to your monitor (which translates in-game to try to discern someone in the distance or darkness, doable, but difficult).

3. Ashlynn [Pax]

Ashlynn [Pax] Avatar

You do make some odd demands.

4. Numa

Numa Avatar

Fighting zombies in low light or near dark in the early levels wasn't really a challenge in R22 because the mob name and the health bars were blazoned brightly in the dark in Solace. There should be a thrill of fear when your magical ball of light suddenly flickers out and you don't know where the mob is now.

Womby, Duffrey Blake, Vermine and 4 others like this.
  5. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

As long as it's an option then I have no problem with it.

6. Kara Brae

Kara Brae Avatar

Be careful what you ask for. Rats Nest residents aren't allowed to kill you, but what if they can't see your name and don't recognize you? In a dangerous place like Rats Nest it makes sense to shoot first and ask questions later ;)

7. Drocis the Devious

Not sure I'm demanding anything. Just making a request I think will improve the game. I know my style is very aggressive, I am who I am. ;)

Moiseyev Trueden likes this.
  8. Drocis the Devious

Lucky for me there's a chat log that will say "so and so attacked you". This makes it easy for me to say "so and so doesn't live here anymore". ;)

Unfortunately, there will be no acceptable accidents for either of the two laws in Rats Nest. But I'm not trying to put stress on my residents, and I have a few things I plan to do that will make our fair city a playing field that will support being able to run away as much as it supports shooting first. (so if I design the town well, everyone should have opportunities to opt out of a fight they didn't ask for)

Kara Brae likes this.
  9. Beaumaris

Beaumaris Avatar

Mixed feelings about no character names showing up in the dark. From an immersion or PVP game play perspective that makes total sense. It would make night time PVP more fun, and probably also more aggravating. From a real world perspective, I think we need to remember that some percentage of the gaming community struggles with bad eyesight or other handicaps. Some things like this might be viewed by them as 'accessibility' features. Making it a 'game option' sounds like the best approach to me.

Moiseyev Trueden and Alley Oop like this.
  10. Darthan Haj

Darthan Haj Legend of the Hearth

I just hit the "N" key and disable the nameplates altogether. Easy enough, when I'm duking it out I can't even begin to pay attention to the upper left side of my screen to see there health then.
    Speaking of not being able to notice there health, the real problem is I cant see my health bar to know when I'm about to die, that is the real problem. Yes I could turn on the name plates and toggle mine on but the it's a mess and blocks there's.
    What I want is to be able to move my heath bar around or just above the hot keys which are easily seen.
    My thoughts could be already in the forums somewhere but I couldn't se them.
    Please JOIN IN and JUMP ON the real issue that many people have and allow us to move our health bar where we want and stop this madness.
    I could be wrong so feel free to shoot me down. :)

11. Darthan Haj

Darthan Haj Legend of the Hearth

Now if you want emersion, add blood splats to the picture and the more wounded I get the redder the screen gets or something along that nature.
    Please feel free to shoot me down on this too, or point me to the correct forum thread, it's been a long time since I posted anything.

Moiseyev Trueden likes this.
  12. Waxillium

Waxillium Avatar

I'm enjoying the toggle that disables unknown NPC names. Makes me want to speak with them even if it's just to get their name for the time being.

Would that include not seeing the PvP flag till they are close?

The idea has some charm.

13. Abydos

Abydos Avatar

GREAT IMMERSION IDEA !!!

Awesome !!!

@DarkStarr

14. redfish

redfish Avatar

Sufficient cover should also remove names, just like darkness. Natural stealthing.

15. Moiseyev Trueden

Moiseyev Trueden Avatar

Interesting concept. As long as it was a toggle I'd be happy with it, though I also tend to just use N when I don't want name spam. I also agree that the HUD (be it health, team members and pets, etc) could be moved to where I prefer it instead of locked in place. But, that jumps off topic from the fun concept of limited range names based on lighting. It is already set up so that out to a certain distance they already don't show up, could be interesting to tie it to brightness levels, but as its already so dark I can barely navigate during caves and night scenes... but that's a different discussion.

16. Moiseyev Trueden

Moiseyev Trueden Avatar

And 100% this. Good addition to the concept.

17. Whyterose Flowers

Whyterose Flowers Avatar

Why not just press N if you do not want to see names displayed? Seems like an odd request.

Duke Mekong likes this.
  18. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

What he makes are pretty classical UO-RPpvp-Freeshard demands.
    Actually he is even pretty easy to predict if it comes to his requests ;-)
    In this case, i support his cause.

19. Duffrey Blake

Duffrey Blake Avatar

I support this and would love to be thrilled that way by NPC's. I am not sure if its a good idea for PC's as well.

Numa and Miracle Dragon like this.
  20. Gurney2

Gurney2 Avatar

Lol, ok your request seems original Baron,but there are so many people that are complaining about the darkness already and you want to remove the names that are further than the light radius??
    Or maybe you want to screw the ranged players??
    I dont understand.... Theres a shortcut to toggle names off .... Press N by default and you will have no names ...

Whyterose Flowers and Xandra7 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.