resources veins ala UO, or Protruding nodes?

Discussion in 'Crafting & Gathering' started by Sperg, Nov 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mishri

Mishri Avatar

A system like that makes no sense for those single player online people, assuming hexes become instanced when you enter them. If it's a shared world with hundreds of thousands of people you'll see things disappear before you can do anything.

Also keep in mind with the survey ability that might show you resources only you can harvest, someone else might survey see resources in same/similar locations but they are independent, you gather only what you see, and each person is individualized. That way the resource competition isn't there and they just focus on how rare they want things to spawn for each person.

derek6665 (Baldrith) likes this.
  2. Joviex

Joviex Avatar

Yeah absolutely agree. Hopefully it helps generate some better ideas rather than either veins or nodes that respawn, and the super fun race condition of who gets their first.

One of the things I absolutely HATE in LOTRO. Running at a silver, gold, etc... node, and someone runs past me on a horse, and gets to it 2 seconds before I do.

I mean, dont be a jerk, it is obvious when someone is trying to farm resources. But alas =)

Bramagola likes this.
  3. vjek

vjek Avatar

I expanded on this idea a bit here.

Just pointing this out with respect to the concern that there may not be enough harvest/gathering points, in a given single wilderness hex.

rild likes this.
  4. Robby

Robby Avatar

When I pick up my pickaxe and slam it into the stone digging for ore I want to see rock chips and dust fly all over the place. I want to see gold fly out when I strike gold, then I want to actually be able to turn this gold into actual coins. That always made me mad that I couldn't use my gold ingots to make coins! Sure you can sell them to "receive" coins, but I wanted to see a pot of molten gold being poured out into molds and pressed out into coins! (or however turning gold into coins is done)

rild likes this.
  5. Jambot

Jambot Avatar

6. Ned888

Ned888 Avatar

I liked the ore nodes in Skyrim. They were sometimes hard to spot, but you could find them if you looked. The way they blended into the surroundings though made them actually attractive as opposed to basically a neon light stuck into a rock.

7. Lord Baldrith

Lord Baldrith Avatar

I did like how FFXIV handled nodes/trees because everyone could gather a resource and it only despawned when you gathered it. The days of the fight over nodes are hopefully not going to carry over in this game. That isn't fun.

OSullivan, Mishri and Ned888 like this.
  8. Sunsanvil

Sunsanvil Avatar

I dont know if this is insane or not, but I've often thought that ores and such should be mined....well...in a mine, while wood should be harvested....from a forest....etc.

Last MMO I played was LOTRO and I always thought it queer that everything is basically everywhere...

9. Lord Kiron Maedun

Lord Kiron Maedun Avatar

I think that the UO style is better then the WoW node style. What resource is where should not be comepletely obvious. Make people work a little at getting the things they need.

10. Lord Baldrith

Lord Baldrith Avatar

I do agree with this...but also I think it's good to put ore on the mountains too...with an ability to climb high if needed...

11. Bohica

Bohica Avatar

PLZ PLZ PLZ PLZ NO MINING/JACKING/HERBING/ETC NODES!!!!! Bring back the UO style of resource gathering. You blindly gathered resources and you didn't know what you was gathering till you got it. Then you had to remember or mark (runes and rune books) the location.

[​IMG]

This added A LOT to the game, you put in the work to locate those hard to find ores/wood and you was rewarded for it. You was also able to sell rune books to mining locations for a nice profit. I just NEVER cared for the node style of resource gathering. If you want crafting to be immersive then get rid of nodes.

I remember logging in and spend the entire day (sometimes two) just mapping out ore locations and planing mining routs to maximize ore gains. Nodes are just an after thought and no real work required.

[​IMG]

Sir Isycle, Mishri, OSullivan and 2 others like this.
  12. stile

stile Avatar

I still remember the sinking feeling of disapointment in my stomach when i played my first online game in which i mined something from a node instead of having to try along a mountain or cave wall.

13. Mith aka Crazy_Scriby

Mith aka Crazy_Scriby Avatar

Thats why i loved mining in UO. going to some rocks, and started chopping with my pickaxe until it said. "there is no more ore to harvest" :)
    instead of stupid nodes like in wow.

:)
    i mine them all !!!!!

14. GBJackson

GBJackson Avatar

I always wondered why the nodes couldn't be placed in the caves and on the walls, instead of randomly scattered all over the open land...

Makes about as much sense as finding gold pieces on wild animals.

15. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

Lumberjack on a tree is good, gathering twigs and fallen branches for lumber is bad (node).

16. Margard

Margard Avatar

Voting for resources veins

Sir Stile Teckel likes this.
  17. High Baron O`Sullivan

High Baron O`Sullivan Avatar

remember kids...

JUST SAY NO, TO NODES!

Sir Stile Teckel likes this.
  18. Bohica

Bohica Avatar

[​IMG]

I found this in google.... don't know what it means but i'll use it lol

19. Tartness

Tartness Avatar

LOL. Nice.

I am also against nodes, these days I believe they are just used by lazy devs who wish to limit players to different regions by levels and what not. Lord of the Rings does this, and it is one of the things I don't enjoy about LotRO.

Though I asked this question in a Dev chat a few months back, and Lord British answered that there will be a mix of both static and dynamic resources... Which means, even if there are no nodes, there are going to be certain locations in which you can and cannot find higher tier resources. Which I am not totally against, but would have rather have two things specifically:

1. No nodes of any kind.
    2. Totally dynamic resource spawns.

20. Dermott

Dermott Avatar

Well I think there's a need for both, static and dynamic.

Static resources should simply be the fact that you'll find ore in mountains and not in the middle of a grassy plains area (like you could in some areas in LotRO), or that you'll find more trees to chop in a wooded/forest area and so forth.

Dynamic in my mind would be that the actual specific physical locations of these spawns within a Hex/Scene may differ from time to time, so that also would not be like WoW or LotRO in that you could develop a specific pathway to gather said resources and simply follow that pattern repeatedly.

As for the terminology used, I think in regards to Mining specifically, I fully agree with no blatant "nodes" as well as mentioned above for Lumberjacking, chopping a specifically placed branch or woodpile. However, plants from which herbs/reagents are harvested would be a "node" themselves as would the tree you chop for wood.

I think the key thing is that the graphic used that we interact with should look and feel like it's part of the world and not stand out separately from it.

From a technical viewpoint they would still be a "node", from an aesthetic viewpoint, they would be the mountainside, a tree, a plant, etc.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.