Ruins and Shardfalls revamp (difficult, loot and xp)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Joe Zhudarak, Sep 14, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CatweazleX

CatweazleX Avatar

Dhanas is a women.

2. Scanphor

Scanphor Avatar

Spot on - and why I won't play any game that isn't fully consensual (or those that are too heavy handed on the 'inducements'....)

Brewton and kaeshiva like this.
  3. Jason_M

Jason_M Avatar

I think it would be great if the ruins had discoverable lore. There is so much potential for history and Indiana Jones-styled archeology.

Messages, lore books, art, and puzzles could make these places far more interesting to visit and explore.

** Spoiler ahead **

Take the "pool of destiny" for instance. Without the lore book, you'd believe to be little more than a wishing well. Finding that lore book, however, makes it an outstanding discovery.

4. Dhanas

Dhanas Avatar

I did? And did I looted you ransom? I don't think so. What did you lose? Nothing I guess
    Honestly it was probably during the contest where the ones who did more kills in one months took a prize, I am sorry for it if this was something that annoyed you.

What flagging pvp gives atm is nothing, don't tell me you flag for 10% xp bonus, because after double xp is ridicolous since you can attenuate in friend mode easly and also before that it was pointless.

This is an RPG game, refusing the protection of the oracle is a choice (unfortunately) so nobody is forced to do it. What generate those kind of events is the lack of pvp, if a pvper wants to go around and do some fights, even without looting ransom, there is no chance to do it, because there are almost no opponents, this generate situation where also the lower level are being attacked.
    What we need in this game are more rewards for pvp, so much more people are involved in this. I don't like at all the mechanic WOLF-SHEEP, I prefer much more to found around worthy opponents, but this is no possible, because being with pvp flag is just a penality with no rewards at all.

In games where PVP is a normal status those things don't happen, because people can attack everyone so they choose who to attack, and there is no need to gank noobs, but we are in a game where you can count flagged people with your hands. The situation is in this way not because people don't like pvp, but because the system RISK WITH NO REWARDS don't work at all.

P.S. I dislike to define myself a PVPer, I play this game in all its aspects, so I do PVP, PVE, decoration and much more. PVP and PVE are not 2 separate factions.

5. Dhanas

Dhanas Avatar

Thank you Cat for your clarification, but this doesn't make the difference. :)

Last edited: Sep 19, 2018
    Tila Tenderfoot likes this.
  6. Floors

Floors Avatar

Yeah you did loot me and yes, I paid a ransom. No big deal. But I just wanted to point out it does happen, and it does make people feel that PvP needs some kind of level gating. That's my only point, because people were saying "PvP doesn't work the way you fear it does" and then I see old Dhanas Moonwhisper - a name that I shall fear forevermore saying "Yeah it doesn't ! " - LOL !!! Yeah Right !

There's a video on youtube where some guy, I don't know who it is, Mac maybe, someone with end game skills - just goes around and destroys lowbies to heavy metal music. All I'm saying is, there's a cost to that - and it's that people that aren't very good or low level won't PvP because of that. I would like to see that changed, is all, so the game has healthy all level PvP.

I believe either a robust team based PvP castle defense where you can protect your lowbie buddies against god like hunter killers and or perhaps giving some areas only to level 60, level 80 AL max players would help.

And sorry for calling you a guy. Another thing we need that was in the old Ultimas, btw - Gender symbols :) That won't be controversial at all...

7. Dhanas

Dhanas Avatar

If you weren't in House of Mangar guild it's realy rare I looted you. I usualy don't loot, never did money doing PVP , I just lost money even winning the fights, everyone can say it (reagents and repairs are expensive).

What happened in that video is the proof that there is no chance to find fair fight around, just a couple flag up and also they have no chance to learn how to do it, they are catapulted in the world pvp without any kind of training before, like it happens in others games with Battlegrounds, Arenas etc. You should take a look to Antrax's videos, he just posted fight with worthy opponents higher lvl than him.

P.S. I don't think Mac did pvp videos, he does mostly PVE

8. Floors

Floors Avatar

Okay, fair enough. Well if you want to make it right, the ransom was between 3 and 4000 GP. Drop it off anytime at my pad in Brekken Bay. ;P

Also I don't think we should get rid of total free for all PvP. That could be fun for a challenge, like you say. Like we should keep the Obsidian trials.

But with all the shardfalls and ruins and the fact they're empty, reserving some of them for lower level pvp where people don't have to fear that total domination which ruins any kind of fun when you first join and want to try PvP, I think would be a solid idea /rant

Dhanas likes this.
  9. Dhanas

Dhanas Avatar

Don't rember to have looted you but it can be so I am sending you 4k just now in game :)

Are you Trady Blix in game right? @Lord Trady of Blix

10. OzzyOsbourne

OzzyOsbourne Avatar

If you have problems travelling through Novia for fear of very powerful bandits, maybe its time to purchase guards for your defense as you travel. You know... like they did in the old days.... when ROLE PLAYING ACTUALLY EXISTED.

Lord Trady of Blix and Dhanas like this.
  11. Floors

Floors Avatar

Yeah I am. And you don't have to do that. I was just being snarky :) But I appreciate the gesture.

Dhanas likes this.
  12. Adam Crow

Adam Crow Avatar

The problem I have currently with the pvp zones are they aren't at the same level of the best pve zones. They don't have to be better, I just want to be able to hunt again in the pvp zones and not feel like I'm completely wasting my time.

A long time ago I use to spend time killing mobs and gathering in the shardfalls, and every once in a while I would get some pvp action. I assume because someone on my friends list would see that I'm in there and either come after me, or tell someone else to. I never attack anyone first, so this was how I got my pvp fix. I had of fun with this in the past and would love to be able to do this again.

Removing the pvp label from these zones would just ruin the chance of this ever working again. Also, nobody would ever go to any of the zones if they weren't pvp anymore, because there is simply no reason to. There are better more efficient areas to do harvesting and hunting. Without the forced pvp they would be even more useless than they are right now.

If these zones were just as good to hunt/gather in then I would be right back in there. Nobody is being forced to pvp in this scenario, but I get a little more enjoyment with the added danger. I just want the damn zones to be balanced in line with the other zones. I doubt I'm the only player that plays like this, but who knows, maybe I am.

13. CatweazleX

CatweazleX Avatar

No, you are not. For me this is to have a little of the good old UO:T2A days.
    It would be nice if the shardfall/ruin zones ranges fromt tier3 (or4) to tier8 at least. The field would divide automatic as it is with PvE. Higher tier players are in higher tier zones.
    You can do PvP-duels in the Mage Room (The Rise) also. May a little decadent but was cool.

If you like to be surprised, the best chance is hunting in (well known) PvE zones with PvP-flag.

Adam Crow and Dhanas like this.
  14. Tila Tenderfoot

Tila Tenderfoot Avatar

I thought going to a pvp scene or flagging indicated your consent to pvp? I think all of us agree to that.

Disclaimer: I am totally not okay with PKs targeting new players; that is just mean-spirited. Also, I find some of the arguments people who support PKs kinda funny - "It's a game," "They knew what they signed up for," "It is for RP." I never attack first in a pvp, only if attacked. I only pvp for fun, and would prefer group v. group pvp, in which groups are randomized to prevent skilled fighters from teaming up against casual fighters.

Harvesting for pve resources in pvp zones is far less lucrative than harvesting in pve zones. Unless you want chaos pollen. It would be nice to have pvp-only resources in pvp zones, and those who consent to pvp maybe would find that useful.

As far a I remember, there was a talk about limiting one's ability to PK, which was actually started by pvp players. I do not think any of the ideas were implemented by the devs.

15. Adam Crow

Adam Crow Avatar

I do like to be surprised, but flagging for pvp in a popular pve zone isn't exactly what I'm looking for. I would probably have to kill steal or hog the mobs to get anyone to attack me (which I wouldn't do). Most ppl are in those zones just to hunt, so i doubt i would get much action unless I try and annoy the other players.

And it would kind of bug me since I can already attenuate in those zones in about 30 minutes in private mode. I don't think I would get that same feeling of added danger, and without hogging the mobs I prob wouldn't be able to attenuate since Id be respectfully competing with other players for the mobs.

If I could attenuate in any of the pvp zones, and the resource nodes weren't spread out across a huge area, I think I could have that feeling again. Everything is just so far apart in those zones, it's just too inefficient to go there anymore.

Tila Tenderfoot and Dhanas like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.