Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Running into people is aggravating!

Discussion in 'Release 25 Feedback Forum' started by Barugon, Dec 27, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

When I'm not in combat mode and I run into another player or NPC, I slow down to a crawl. Not only is this not fun, it's super frustrating. Can you please just remove this "feature"?

Solazur, Aldo, Ice Queen and 10 others like this.
  2. Dorham Isycle

Dorham Isycle Avatar

3. Fox Cunning

Fox Cunning Localization Team

I liked it much, much better when we couldn't walk through people at all. That gave NPCs and other players more "depth", it made them feel more real and less like ghosts.

Ideally, I would like my avatar to walk/run around an NPC/player/enemy whenever I bumped into them - as opposed to crawl through them as if they were made of some thick jelly. Yuk!

4. GreyMouser Skye

GreyMouser Skye Avatar

It is not just an NPC, it is a rabbit, a sheep, a stupid watcher. Assume a basic avoidance maneuver for most interactions, not a slow down please. If it is a full on collision, then yes, stop the toon.

5. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

I wouldn't mind that, as long as the game redirected me around the player/NPC. What I really hate is when I even get near a person/creature and it gets very sticky.

6. Lained

Lained Avatar

Especially pets that get in the way, I've now started to use blink before I move near my pet chest mimic.

7. Black Orchid

Black Orchid Avatar

The strange thing is when your fighting something there is no collision detection and the creatures attack you by standing right in the middle of your body making it difficult to hit them :)

8. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

There's no collision when you're in combat mode. This is so you don't get trapped and ganked.

Moiseyev Trueden likes this.
  9. Roycestein Kaelstrom

Roycestein Kaelstrom Avatar

At least you don't have to chug stam pots to go through west Brit bank lol

I would be ok if we don't have a collision check in town unless in combat mode.

Moiseyev Trueden likes this.
  10. Bluefire

Bluefire Avatar

I believe the slow-down collision reaction was to keep us from carelessly walking through NPCs in town thus ruining the atmosphere and demonstrating that the NPCs "exist". As a result I do my best to avoid them, but find myself sometimes caught by a sudden NPC course change. I do not like it when I come close to an NPC and get slowed - very annoying, I should have to 'touch' them before that happens.

I get slowed by wolves attacking me as I run into them while running through a scene in combat mode so I'm pretty sure the collision detection does not shut off when in combat mode. Same holds true for my pet when teleporting it while trying to get out of a scene where I was suddenly overwhelmed by attackers. Repeatedly slowed by my pet.

11. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

We should be able to push them aside like in Assassin's Creed or the Witcher 3 - without slowing down.

12. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

Collision is actually great for PVP, but yes it is slightly annoying tripping over your own pet lol

13. Edward Newgate

Edward Newgate Avatar

Exactly.

14. Elwyn

Elwyn Avatar

FWIW, FFXI also has this collision mechanic. After many years they changed it slightly. If you collide with a player who has been idle for at least ten minutes, you do not slow down.

This was because of people hanging around outside housing entrances and hanging around cities with their bazaar up (equivalent to doing private vendor sales from your avatar). It got to the point where especially popular areas could get too hard to run through. Once you turn off auto-logout, you can go AFK all day and night waiting for someone to buy your stuff. These days, easily half of the characters online at any time are AFK to sell stuff.

15. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Walking slowly through a NPC is just as atmosphere "ruining" as running through them.

Bluefire and Ice Queen like this.
  16. Xi_

Xi_ Avatar

go around, I mean seriously, i'm about to pull out my dueling glove if people keep trying to run through me.

17. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

How is it great for PvP?

18. GreyMouser Skye

GreyMouser Skye Avatar

I cannot answer the PVP, but as an aside I remember in the Underworlds you could bump the attackers while swinging, and if you timed it right they will be out of range on their swing.
    Those are the kind of collision mechanics I like.

Moiseyev Trueden and Fox Cunning like this.
  19. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

You can actually stand in a choke point or doorway and defend an area without people magically morphing through you, which was something people begged for. It ads depth and tactics to group fights and was much celebrated when implemented.

20. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

If I remember correctly, this mechanic is there to relieve the lag issues associated with being blocked by a rigid character. It is still better than running through people without penalty. The idea is that we should hate the slowness and try not to bump into each other the same way we would in RL.

Themo Lock likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.