1. This forum section contains Blog style threads from the Developers, and/or threads with details about what they have been working on, previews of upcoming content, and sometimes backstory associated with the content. Players are permitted to reply to these threads if the developer has indicated it is permissible by leaving the thread unlocked. Please note that TOS applies, and any abuse or trolling will be moderated.
    Dismiss Notice

Scottie's Yuletide Objects of 2017!

Discussion in 'Developer Work and Blog posts' started by Scottie, Oct 25, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sean Silverfoot

Sean Silverfoot Avatar

Thanks @Scottie for the insight on how difficult the task could be!

Appreciate the time to check into it.

Sean

Scottie likes this.
  2. Scottie

Scottie Master Artisan SOTA Developer

So! For today's post in this ongoing thread I get to show off the 2017 Yule Stockings I mentioned I was working on! As has been my recent trend, You can see them as they appear in Max, and I've arranged them so that you can see the comparison between last year's and this year's... There's even a new Craftable version in a beautiful blue variation!
    [​IMG]
    Once I get them in the Unity Editor I base their material on the one used for 2016 to maintain consistency, but of course the variations in both the 3-D mesh as well as the new texture set I've created allows for some fun differences in look and feel! For me, it's hard to break away from the "crocheted" style (since that's the kind my mom used to make), but this year, instead of the more triangular dags with bells on the stocking cuffs, I've opted for a gentler "wave" pattern with dangling "pom-pom" puff-balls! Last year sported the whole striped look, while this year features swaths of solid color with three new designs; a smiling Sun (Sol Invictus!), Moon, and delicate snowflakes (at least as delicate as the simulated hand-stitching can manage)... A differently-configured and textured set of goodies inside helps complete the new look!

[​IMG]

After seeing them displayed starkly in Unity's broad daylight, it's now time to throw them into my cozy little Yule scene, with its roaring fire and properly festive surroundings. This is honestly where they were meant to be seen, and the various elements begin to take on the life they were meant to have as the candy glistens, the silver bells shine, and the holly takes on its natural waxy characteristics... Here, with closer, interior lights shining upon them, the details generated by the normal map I created help make the crocheted weave really stand out and sell the illusion of its somewhat rustic, hand-made appearance...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Hopefully you've found the look of this year's stockings delicious! My goal was to compliment last year's in a way that would warm your heart as you present your guests with any of these variations side-by-side...

Up next I'm beginning work on some completely new Yuletide decorations in the form of a set of Garlands to compliment our existing holiday wreaths!

Scottie ^_^

3. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

4. Scottie

Sean Silverfoot likes this.
  5. Scottie

Hello Everyone!!!

Today I was able to finish a new category of Yuletide decorative item that folks have been asking for! Allow me to present, the Yuletide Garlands!

There are two sets I've created for 2017, based on this year's Yule Wreath created by Reid. There will be two set versions; the Ornate Garland set and the Craftable Garland set. Each set is composed of two kinds of elements (the shallow, U-shaped "Swag", and the slightly fancier hanging "Ribbon Strand") in two different sizes (small and large). You can see these below, having been completed in Max.
    [​IMG]

They will be made to function in the same way as the wreaths, in that they are made to be hung on the walls (and other vertical surfaces large enough to accept them) to accompany wreaths from either this year or last year. This initial image below shows three pieces from the small Ornate set used in conjunction with this year's wreath!
    [​IMG]

And this image displays three large Ornate pieces set in a similar configuration! Of course, once these are made into proper deco items that I can give my character, I'll be able to test their collision to make sure they do what I want them to do in a "live" house on an actual plot using the Deco Interface (as I tested the stockings and chimneys and such).
    [​IMG]

In this final image for the garlands I'm showcasing the simpler, Craftable versions, and comparing their look with last year's Craftable wreath. I think they complement each other quite nicely! You can see here that I used five different Craftable Garland pieces to create this arrangement, and in this manner (assuming all the deco tech functions properly), players should be able to adorn the walls of their house all around most rooms!
    [​IMG]

I hope you enjoyed these additions to the Yuletide cheer.

Up next, I'll be designing our first Yule Card you can give to your friends and loved ones! They should function just like our Valentines cards, but with a festive winter theme!

Enjoy!

Scottie ^_^

6. Solazur

Solazur Avatar

Scottie likes this.
  7. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

can they rotate? could you build a giant circle of them if you have a big enough wall?

Scottie likes this.
  8. Woftam

Woftam Avatar

Dear @Scottie , you sir are a Legend!! These will look amazing in my house, Thank you so much!!

Sean Silverfoot, FrostII and Scottie like this.
  9. Browncoat Jayson

Browncoat Jayson Legend of the Hearth

Yay! This year's Yule items look great! Look forward to sending some Yule cards!

Scottie likes this.
  10. Brent S

Brent S Avatar

@Scottie : You rock, man! Thanks! Will these work on the railing of a ship like the Baron's Frigates and Galleons?

Scottie likes this.
  11. Scottie

Good question! Right now they are assumed to be set up like the existing wreaths, but we'll play with them and see what's possible....

FrostII and Alley Oop like this.
  12. Scottie

Thank you, my friends! I'm so glad you're liking them! And thank you Woftam for both suggesting them and reminding me of them!

13. Scottie

I'll need to test them, but this current incarnation will only work where the wreaths ALSO work... Have you tried wreaths there? I'm betting that for them to work on the railings, a version of these may have to be set of like the stockings, so that they can hang from the horizontal edges of surfaces like railings and fireplace mantels... I originally wanted them to do that, but Rick requested they work like the wreaths. Dallas and I talked about it today (he'd really like some for that purpose), and if there's enough desire for it, we may make an additional set that are set up in that way as well... Experimentation will be key.

14. Miracle Dragon

Miracle Dragon Legend of the Hearth

@Scottie As for me, I think the best option is #3, for all containers to only count as containers if they contain something. If they are empty, they should count as mere decorations. This would be the most friendly solution to players, and it seems fair when it comes to the purpose behind the lot limits. Of course, perhaps light sources would have to be updated to work the same way to be consistent. I'm not sure if that would cause problems, but I figure it shouldn't, seeing as how they will count when 'in use'.. :D It would be a good change in my book. So decorations could be placed, and the limitations would only affect their usability.

Scottie likes this.
  15. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

Great work!

Please please please add some leeway to the collision border so that we can somewhat slightly embed them into other stuff.

This since experiences like with the labyrinth hedges where the leaves sticking out collides so that one can't fit them properly seamlessly into each other, still brings nightmares to my OCD decorator mind.

16. Scottie

Thanks for that input! I'll pass this on to the Programmers!

Scottie ^_^

17. Scottie

Absolutely! I already added a bunch of leeway to each piece, and believe me, if I can't make them inter-collide nicely (like in the example images I created by hand) when I test them I'll be adding some more! I share your pain, my friend! ^_^

Scottie ^_^

18. Scottie

OK! So here I am at the last moment before Lockdown sneaking in my final Yuletide asset just before midnight! As promised, I was able to barely squeak by with my time and cram in everything I was hoping to accomplish, including the final hoped-for item,...the Yule Card!!!
    [​IMG]

Here it is laid down in broad daylight in the game, for comparison against the detail level and size of the earlier Valentines Day cards...
    [​IMG]

Rich in color and detail, the 2017 Yule Card can has general winter-themed designs of a classic style with illuminations reminiscent of medieval fashions mixed with vintage painted borders and holly border elements. As such it could be easily labeled by a player to be used for all sorts of winter-themed holiday festivities...
    [​IMG]

And once you invoke its interface, either in one's inventory or by double-clicking on it in the game environment as a deco, you can enjoy seeing its illustration in even greater detail as you compose the perfect season's greetings!
    [​IMG]

Assembling this one from antique references was quite the chore, but well worth it... It's going to be hard for me to top the beauty of this one for next year! ^_^
    [​IMG]

Hopefully you've enjoyed checking out all the Yule celebratory items I cooked up for this 2017 season... Thank you so much to everyone who inspired and urged me to push that extra few steps forward to make these new items a reality!

I'll be talking about all of these in the upcoming Live Stream!!!

Take care, my friends!

Scottie ^_^

19. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

Appreciate the extra love and effort very much, thank you Scottie.

Could you pass on a wish to the decision makers that we'd love to have non-seasonal special papers in this vein permanently in the shop/crown merchants. Like:

Ornate Bulletin Decree with Seal
    Ornate Contract
    Ornate Flyer with Border Art, tourney
    Ornate Flyer with Border Art, ball (party)
    Ornate Diploma

Thank you again

20. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Yes I really like that request spoon. The bulletin board flyers really are already hard to see especially on the crafted bulletin board imo. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.