Selective Multiplayer RPG.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Link_of_Hyrule, Jul 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Link_of_Hyrule

Link_of_Hyrule Avatar

Added a screenshot of the various modes listed on the login screen to the OP. I agree you would have to agree to be someone's friend. Only friends will be showing up in Friends Only Online I would assume. But really PVP it's very simple if you PVP and you PK you'll be put with those people. If you don't more than likely you won't see or encounter these types of people. This is my understanding and not officially announced but I'm sure once we actually have multiplayer in Feb/March they'll expand upon it and who knows it may or may not change during that time period based on how the players feel. No matter what SotA is going to be an awesome game because it's being designed be a Dev team that is listening to the players and building the game they want to play.

2. Bayard2

Bayard2 Avatar

Typically I'm not a PvP'er. Under certain conditions I might be inclined to depending on things like how awake I am at the moment (lol)...time factors etc. I would still prefer the rarer resources be in PvE environment... trust me they can make it real hard to get if the developers want it.

Mostly I plan on playing set to just my guild and other friends. I can live without the hugeness of the world and crowds. I will sometimes play solo online and solo offline if I'm somewhere without internet.

Time Lord likes this.
  3. Link_of_Hyrule

Link_of_Hyrule Avatar

I wouldn't worry I'm sure this was only an example that they have not necessarily the norm. I expect some PvP but not a huge amount. I'm really interested in how selective multiplayer works in general so I can't wait for release 3 and 4. I'm a very social gamer so I can't wait for my friends to join me in the world of New Britannia :)

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Sir Avorin Swftslay likes this.
  4. rild

rild Avatar

My thinking here is that, with consensual PVP and friends-listing, even PVP combat between enemies can be cooperative. Especially in a role-play environment, you might want to identify yourself as a villain and then find heroes to mess about with. It's like .. ..

Like when you're a kid and you go to the playground. You and a bunch of other kids are on the playground, but then you say "Hey wanna play w me?" and then you start running around. SotA is the playground, PVP (or whatever other activity) is the game. Does that make sense?

Role Play offers not only the opportunity for deep immersion, but it also implies that you can speak out of character. The characters might be enemies, but the players can still be friends. Might curb some of the negative emotions people feel. I think this is something that is missing from current games that have no clear lines of separation between IC and OOC.

Time Lord likes this.
  5. Evil Superhero

Evil Superhero Avatar

Thanks for posting this. There seem to be a lot of low-information posters out there. It's good to have definitive info all in one place.

6. Mystic

Mystic Avatar

Guys, the OP asked respectfully that people keep PVP from becoming a topic in this thread. Please respect his wishes.

7. Link_of_Hyrule

Link_of_Hyrule Avatar

Thanks everyone that has posted in this thread. I redid the OP hopefully it's a bit clearer and easier to understand also added in a few things based on what people have said in the thread and based on the recent interview from Richard Garriot on the topic of Selective Multiplayer Online. Can't wait to play with you guys in Feb!

EDIT: I'm currently in the process of converting this to a page on the SotA wiki and using sources to make sure it's more accurate. You can find the work in progress of it here http://sotawiki.net/sota/Selective_Multiplayer_Online

8. Fireangel

Fireangel Avatar

Bumping this Thread up for new visitors to the site. *bump*

9. GordianKnot

GordianKnot Avatar

not sure how I feel abou this online mode...
    I mean, one thing that I find very very interesting in UO, is about that you never know what to expect outside the town, i mean, I am no pvp guy, but might happen to find a PK in my way...
    Maybe I am just too anxious about the game and not realizing how good is this new system.

Saosis likes this.
  10. smack

smack Avatar

Time Lord and Link_of_Hyrule like this.
  11. Link_of_Hyrule

Link_of_Hyrule Avatar

smack likes this.
  12. Googlemo

Googlemo Avatar

Ok... so thats sounds like game gonna be EXTREMELLY casual. Like lvlup and gearup your character in any mode except MPO and than go online with ppl... And the best they could do is limit ppl on how much they can get in Single mode?! So the only reason to go in MPO would be to interact with other people without much of REAL control over game?
    I mean I LOVED UO, you practically could attack anyone and made them CRY and ragequit. You had to fight for resourses. You had to grind to make your character stronger and always look around you so that someone wouldn't kill you and make you weaker instead!
    Are all those wonderful things gonna be just a wishful dreaming in SotA?

13. NRaas

NRaas Avatar

I am going to go out on a limb here, and say : "Yes that is just wishful dreaming". :p

docdoom77 likes this.
  14. docdoom77

docdoom77 Avatar

I find the highlighted statement extremely disturbing. Seriously.

15. Googlemo

Googlemo Avatar

Imho, that was an understatement. Cause the ability to dismember corpse of your enemy and then use his head for decoration is pretty wicked!

16. Fireangel

Fireangel Avatar

*bump for new players asking in chat*

Time Lord likes this.
  17. Turk Key

Turk Key Avatar

I am getting concerned with my decision to support the game to the extent I have. I am generally a solo player, meaning I am not a guild player. I don't generally have close friends to explore with either. I like to craft, hunt, explore, and quest. However, I am not a loner. When I go to a meeting place, perhaps a bank, or to town, I am very interested in seeing what other people are doing. Idle conversations with other players who are not on my friends list would be necessary for my game experience. How in the heck am I to meet with people who might walk by? How can I offer help to new players if I never see them?

Do I have it wrong? Will I only see people who are my friends or those who are at approximately the same game level as myself?

BillRoy [ab] likes this.
  18. smack

smack Avatar

No, that's not the case in OPO mode. The server logic will look at all instances of a town which could be populated with many dozens, if not hundreds of players, and will put you in that one instance that is most relevant to you. Currently this means it will likely favor any instance where you have the most friends so you will see them -- but also all other players that you don't know and those players could be of different play styles or levels. The exact number of players in any one town instance is TBD but it will likely vary based on the size of the town.

Time Lord likes this.
  19. Link_of_Hyrule

Link_of_Hyrule Avatar

So far it's felt pretty much like every other mmo one played except the loading screen between turns but even some names have that.

20. Fireangel

Fireangel Avatar

BUMP for new players

Time Lord likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.