Selective Multiplayer RPG.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Link_of_Hyrule, Jul 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fireangel

Fireangel Avatar

BUMP with additon, since I keep putting your link up Link. :D

No, you cannot currently have more than one character. Not offline, not online, not in any Mode. That may change in the future, especially offline for the Single-Player Offline Mode, but as of this moment, that's still a 'no'. The online modes are Single-Player Online, Friend-Player Online, and Open-Player Online.

None of them currently allow more than one character slot, as Richard Garriott wants your character to represent 'you', and have less opportunity to come on sometimes as 'bad' and sometimes as 'good'. Personally I don't like that, but it's not up to me of course. ;)

I am a huge roleplayer, and that's why. I've pleaded for more character slots for different roleplay characters to be in my control, so that people wouldn't know it was me again, and yes, I 'get' the multi-crafter, the 'mule' to help pass stuff back and forth, and other legitimate and above-board reasons to have more character slots. Still, it's a 'no' at this time. I'm hoping that will change at some point, right along with you, if you're hoping for more than one character slot.

Time Lord and Myrcello like this.
  2. Fireangel

Fireangel Avatar

**Bump again with more info.

You can only play as a Human from Earth, as you are a human from Earth. There is no 'class'. If you pick up a sword and use it, you get better with that. If you pick up a bow and arrow, and use it, you get better at that. If you use magic, you get better at magic, if you stop using your magic so much and use a sword, your skills that help magic abilities lessen, while your skills [strength, etc] increase. The opposite is also true, i.e., stop swinging your sword so much and start casting magic, your skills [such as intelligence] go up, while your strength goes down. So,...say you want to be a Paladin -- you concentrate on melee skills and have a little magic -- just an example.

[More race options may come later, but I wouldn't count on that.]

Time Lord likes this.
  3. SmokerKGB

SmokerKGB Avatar

Can I ask a couple of questions here?

1) How is player death/looting going to work?

2) How will body decay work?

3) How will resurection work? I hate the idea of permanent death.

I just have this feeling that all the best resources/items will be only available to players in "public" mode, just my opinion. But Mr. Gariott made a slip of the tounge in one of the Housing videos, that a player could place a chest in their house for extra storage and have it available with their chr, huh, is that true? or was it just a slip?
    Thanks so much.

4. Sir Frank

Sir Frank Master of the Mint

Well, we don't know the answers to your first three questions.
    And the talk about placing a chest in your house for extra storage was kind of a "what if", so I guess we don't really know the answer to that either.

Sorry. There's a lot we don't know yet.

Time Lord and Sir Stile Teckel like this.
  5. UnseenDragon

UnseenDragon Avatar

You realize people spent countless hours decorating and building their homes that no one else could see in The Sims.

Unseen

docdoom77 likes this.
  6. Fireangel

Fireangel Avatar

@Sir Frank 's comment ^^
    They did say no perma-death. It was considered, but RG said they decided not to do that. They have not said what will happen at death. There have been various ideas tossed around. Nothing confirmed.

7. Devoid

Devoid Avatar

I was thinking that should there be perma-death, then there would have to be a heck of a lot of cemeteries for all the roleplayers to carry out funeral ceremonies. Not to mention the ability to have a tombstone engraved and erected on one's grave.
    Hmmm, when one thinks about it, perma-death would lead to the need for morticians, gravediggers, funeral parlours, florists, etc.. a whole slew of tradespeople!

BillRoy likes this.
  8. Owain

Owain Avatar

Anyone who wants permadeath is free to delete their character whenever they die.

Time Lord, docdoom77, deryk and 2 others like this.
  9. stile

stile Avatar

RG has recently indicated there id a big MAYBE on having more then one slot, after finish the story mode with your first.

Time Lord likes this.
  10. SmokerKGB

SmokerKGB Avatar

haha, your too funny, I think it's been decided, NO perma death thank the Gods. With only one chr slot it's going to be hard enough as it is, I know you can change anytime, but will there be anything like "Soul stones" to save all those skill points a person will be spending hour to get in the first place? Or will the learning curve be short and straight?

I could agree to a crafter made soul stone, that you could use weekly to swap out skills or an entire skill set.

11. Owain

Owain Avatar

No information on anything like that as of yet.

12. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Without perma-death such a thing I should think would be entirely unnecessary.

Time Lord likes this.
  13. Silent Strider

Silent Strider Avatar

A bit off-topic here, but I'm not sure only allowing players that have completed the story mode to have multiple characters is a good idea. It will create an incentive to "rush" the first character and get the story done as fast as possible, instead of enjoying it. I would bet many players will consider having multiple characters more valuable than just having fun with the story.

Edit: and, just to make clear, there is no way to actually limit players to one character. Even if there is such an intended limit, it merely means that each other character requires purchasing the game anew. I myself already have two pledges, so I won't be limited to one character no matter what RG/Portalarium decides.

Time Lord and Devoid like this.
  14. Link_of_Hyrule

Link_of_Hyrule Avatar

I posted a link to an interview on this subject in the OP :p

15. coder1024

coder1024 Avatar

your post covers PvP and gives some description on how you think PvP will work. so commenting on PvP would be on topic for this thread. I don't think there's any reason to think such posts would be deleted, nor is it civil to try and impose such a restriction on others in the thread. Starting the conversation doesn't give you absolute control over it :)

16. Link_of_Hyrule

Link_of_Hyrule Avatar

This thread has existed for several months in peace why you try to destroy it :p I just didn't want the whole thread to turn into a PvP flame fest like several others have.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

docdoom77 and Sir Frank like this.
  17. coder1024

coder1024 Avatar

I just noticed it now -- not trying to destroy anything, take it easy :) Just found it a strange way to open a discussion.

---

Having said that, wrt PvP, I think anything that has been said is subject to change. I'd say its something still in a state of flux.

18. Link_of_Hyrule

Link_of_Hyrule Avatar

This thread actually didn't have any talk about PVP in the OP originally but I thought I would add it in since it was such a hot topic. I know you weren't just giving you a hard time ;) I figure the devs know what to do for PVP and when it happens it happens the subject in general has been like beating a dead horse. We'll get to experience the Selective Multiplayer more in Feb/March hopefully.

coder1024 likes this.
  19. coder1024

coder1024 Avatar

yes, looking forward to it!

Link_of_Hyrule likes this.
  20. Lord Baldrith

Lord Baldrith Avatar

Is this still valid on Single Player Online mode? I was under the impression you can play alone in this mode without the fear of PvP attacks. Like if you wanted to gather a rare resource...

I hadn't heard that there will be PvP forced areas...

Time Lord likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.