Shroud of the Avatar - Get your money back or keep it?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Vallo Frostbane, Oct 12, 2016.

?

Would you take the refund?

1. Yes

22 vote(s)
    18.6%
  2. No

96 vote(s)
    81.4%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Thwip

Thwip Avatar

Yes, but you can never get a Map of Novia for $20 again. ;)

2. Lesni

Lesni Avatar

I was not going to reply to this thread but decided it was time to vent about this:

There are many things about this game that are frustrating.
    I continually battle my feelings that I'm spinning my wheels (especially after the last revision).
    It seems as if I can grind for hours and never gain any HP or XP and that is not a good feeling.

But...
    I WOULD NOT take a refund.
    From the results of the voting, it appears I am in the majority.
    (about 80% would not take the refund.)

Even though I am concerned about my grinding and not gaining as much as I would like...
    The worst thing about this game is something else...

And that is all of the negative talk in the forum.
    A few people seem to be worst Trolls than I have found in the game.
    They look for anything to criticize or complain about.
    They continually beat up (read as "Attack") the players that are giving back to the community and are making this game amazing.

We all know there are issues with many things in the game.
    But put on your big boy pants (or big girl panties) and DEAL WITH IT!!!

If you don't enjoy the game anymore, SELL.
    There are people that will buy most or all of you pledge rewards and characters.
    You don't have to ask for a refund, just SELL OUT.
    IF you don't like to play anymore, get the hell out of Dodge and leave the dedicated players alone.
    And take your complaining spirit with you.

If you feel the need to complain, do so in a non-critical way and with truly CONSTRUCTIVE comments not ones to tear apart.

Ok rant over, back to killing real Trolls and sewer rats.

3. Roycestein Kaelstrom

Roycestein Kaelstrom Avatar

Refund as store credits for some add-on store items that end up not meeting my expectation, perhaps?

From pledging, no. I'm paying them to develop the game for me. It is not the product I am buying but rather the development process that I'm funding.

4. jammaplaya

jammaplaya Avatar

nope.
    doesn't exist.
    /threadlocked

Moiseyev Trueden and Olthadir like this.
  5. strontian

strontian Avatar

Lol, are you kidding? If you *must* think about it in terms of monetary value SoTA is easily worth the money 10 or 100 times over.

It also has the potential to become one of the greatest games of all time, like UO was.

I really hope SoTA makes it all the way, although I don't have enough information to assess the financial/technical/emotional health of the project and know how it's doing.

The question I wish you asked is: who would be willing to double down on SoTA, right now?

6. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

Water + Bridge / Under

I don't mind these topics in the least. It's all healthy to review and discuss. Some just want reinforcement or justification, not always to cause trouble. It's depressing to some because it seems like old wounds never heal. Life is...

I hope everyone is having a beautiful day!

7. MrJones77

MrJones77 Avatar

I just logged in for the first time tonight. I love it. Finally a game that doesnt hold your hand. Sure it gives you a nudge, but thats about it. I can see my avatar visting for years to come.

Acred, moko, Thwip and 3 others like this.
  8. Greyfox

Greyfox Avatar

This thread is borderline trolling. Just about every original pledge is selling for more than originally paid.

You can post an item ONLY IN THE FORUM MARKETPLACE like a Baron Bed and make $300 (crazy btw) or a Tax Free deed and almost recover your entire pledge amount. Some items are selling for enormous markup and will likely increase more.

This game has been making significant progress each month. I greatly despise the endless grinds and time sinks being implemented. Yet Shroud of the Avatar is still the best MMO since UO/EQ/SWG.

9. Trome

Trome Avatar

Already selling my stuff , this game is not for hardcore pvper so im just moving on, goin back to Mortal online until CoE maybe

Armar, Kaisa and Moiseyev Trueden like this.
  10. The Hendoman

The Hendoman Avatar

kinda inflamatory line of polling - and We've seen Vallo's posts before, so I don't think he's trolling. Not sure what the point is. Over 70 % of this forum is pro-Sota. I'll bet the polling proves that. I WAS angry at what the game was promised/turned out to be, but now I am seeing that even if nothing changed. NOTHING! Half of us would play the **** outta this, simply because the freeshards of UO are all starting to poop out.

Just about everyone here has a long invested personal and sleepless history grinding out ultimas. underworlds. Crusaders. How many times has the Mrs. come in and say 'ugh. Whatthefuck is that? 1998? why are you playing that old turd again? AND in a vmware box?'

WE are in for the long haul. From what I see, this game makes a nice break between the mindless and repetitive (but funashell) shooters (give me more wolfenstein new order. How many games have had a meaningful cutscene of sex with panties on an ankle? just New order), the occasional War thunder/Darkfall/realtime strategies, and my personal favorite (to which I have had the high score for over 8 years now(because RJ didnt make it to Japan)), Rocket Jockey. I'm in. :)

THE HENDOMAN

Last edited: Oct 12, 2016
    Pepsy, Hunter Rose, Olthadir and 2 others like this.
  11. Pikegirl

Pikegirl Avatar

Pikegirl's 3 Month Persistence SotA Questionaire

Did you spend more than initially planned?
    Yes.

Much more?
    Yes...

Have the game met your expectations yet as the uo/swg experience you're searching for?
    Nope, but it is one of the only games on the market which has the potential to.

Is the community spirit and attitude positive?
    You bet! I just want more IN-GAME Tools to help communicate and shop better. (Mail System going in the right direction)

Would I ask for a refund?
    NO.
    The game is not perfect but I do see overall improvements each month since persistence.
    I'm enjoying my time doing up Safe Fall, my combat glyphs to 80s, creating Flash Quests for players, making friends, playing a common game with my BLoB guildmates and bumming on the overland map.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2016
    Zhoc, Pepsy, Leelu and 4 others like this.
  12. Nox Haven

Nox Haven Avatar

I would not ask for a refund. The way I looked at it from the beginning was as an investment in Richard Garriott and payback for all the Ultimas from the Apple 2e days through Ultima Online with the hope of a taste of that world again.

Zhoc, The Hendoman, Pepsy and 4 others like this.
  13. Ariella Shadowdancer

Ariella Shadowdancer Avatar

Geez, I am still spending... I can't help it.. to quote from the Jerk " I don't care about losing all the money. It's losing all the stuff!" :eek::D:p

Pepsy, Leelu, Vallo and 4 others like this.
  14. Berek

Berek Portalarian Emeritus Dev Emeritus

Closing this thread down. The title doesn't really project any useful discussion other than a presumption that everyone automatically hates the game and wants their money returned. Because of the topic's vagueness, the thread will only be brought into a flame war at some point, so I'm going to save everyone the trouble of getting into that mess.

If we wish to rephrase the topic to something more useful for discussion, I would be happy to reopen the topic then.

Acred, amarious, Alexander and 9 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.