Shroud of the Cardvatar? Shroud of the Overlandmapvatar?

Discussion in 'Skills and Combat' started by Endura, Apr 5, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MalakBrightpalm

MalakBrightpalm Avatar

I would LOVE to see the overland map become optional. A form of fast travel that is controllable, rather than allowing players to fast-track straight past the action, it would merely allow players to walk in a straight line while skipping most random mobs and pointlessly detouring around a stand of trees.

This would require stitching together all the zones, which COULD be done, once there are zones. If they reached the point wherein there were no more loading screens unless you asked for them, that would be awesome.

Combat is about to be redone, and I'm crossing my fingers.

I would love to see the card system completely re-imagined, turned into something fun to do instead of limiting. MY thinking? It should become the user interface for the vaunted chaos magick school. Chaos allows you to empower your glyphs by randomizing them. The UI for NON chaos would then be allowed to be less frustrating, without having to be a standard locked bar.

I would love to see the standard locked bar released from prison, pardoned for the multiple felonies of which it was unfairly convicted, and allowed to shine. There is a lot to be said for being able to macro and keybind and set up my keyboard my way, to control my character seamlessly. It doesn't deserve to be vilified or nerfed.

Here's hoping.

2. Borg

Borg Avatar

I think that Unity has a great potential, and I'm pretty sure that this RG journey has just begun, Forsaken Virtues is just the beginning.......

3. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

And how would you get quests on the road, meet NPCs in the wilderness etc.? This is one of the features that was announced and will be integrated into the game in the future. You will encounter not only monsters but also NPCs on the overland map. How would you meet them when you can skip the overland map? Maybe this will even be relevant for the story to meet someone who is fleeing or a wandering wizard etc...

And a standard hotbar combat would mean going back to a really dull and boring combat system that does nothing new and exciting. No, thanks... although I am not a big fan of the card combat, I prefer it to a standard WoW-like hotbar system.

Duchess Wyldemane likes this.
  4. Duke William of Serenite

Duke William of Serenite Avatar

I do not see the overland map going away at this point.

Freeman likes this.
  5. Caliya

Caliya Avatar

I'm sure you're right.

I think the problem is, people come into the game expecting a Skyrim orientation map, and that's not what we get at all in Shroud. In fact, I can't even tell where villages are in order to want to travel a certain direction. Plus my memory has to serve me correctly, and I have no remember how I got to certain towns and trudge there.

It can be a huge turn off to come to an overland map that's 1990s technology. But we have to love it or leave it.

Ice Queen likes this.
  6. MalakBrightpalm

MalakBrightpalm Avatar

Well, as I pointed out above, it should be possible to stitch all those maps together, so that the experience of wandering the world and meeting unexpected NPCs, other players, and other random twists (including getting jumped by PKs or PKKs, if that's your thing) should be completely doable by one means or another.

The USE of the overland map implies a desire to travel quickly, it would be representative of someone who passed all that up. Someone who kept to the open spaces and roads, gave passing mysterious old men and widows in need of assistance a snappy one fingered salute (or two fingered, if you are Australian). This person wouldn't be interacting with plot anyways, not with a backpack full of enchanted arrow heads, animal hides, iron ore, and black pearls.

Now, allowing us a more seamless method of trawling through the woods LOOKING for trouble is desirable, but I don't think the overland map itself is evil.

7. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

I can't help but imagine what would have happened if they put all this money on an UO emulator :p

About mobile devices... well I wouldn't know cause I still use my Galaxy S1, but are those powerful enough graphic card wise to run the game ?

I have a quite new I7 with a Radeon HD and I have to play the game on fastest settings to get a decent framerate...

8. Archangel

Archangel Avatar

+1 to OP. I had such high hopes that UO comes back in 3D world. But it was another "Hello WoW" - this glyph system is just a copy of Lineage2 and WoW skills that jump randomly. No real uniqueness here. I would love if macros came back. Then everyone would definetly be unique.
    And jumping to overworld and back currently takes 33% of my game time. I really hope this becomes more a skill grinding game like UO or RuneScape.

LOL... As I said - this glyph system is 95% the same as WoW. You even have to BUY SKILLS instead of actually TRAIN them. Compare that to macroing and leveling in UO - that is what we are all missing. Devs talked so much about bringing the old and much loved system but ended in copying WoW.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2015
    Endura and Ice Queen like this.
  9. Solstar

Solstar Avatar

If by 95% you mean it's got buttons you push on a bar, then yes.

That is where the similarities to Wow end.

How else would you like to represent the use of different powers? Have them pop up all over the screen randomly like whack-a-mole? Get rid of all powers in favor of an auto-attack whose hit chance is based on how long you've been whacking your sword in a corner by yourself?

You come up with a UI that doesn't require interacting with something on the screen to trigger some 300 possible abilities and you'll make billions.

steanne likes this.
  10. Archangel

Archangel Avatar

No. It's completely the same as WoW - just that skills on hotbar are randomly jumping as if the character had a brain concussion and therefore is totally indecisive.

Old UO had awesome mathematics involved. For example even wrestling damage was based upon your str, dex, eval int, anatomy, focus, wrestling and other skills. And you didn't even need silly WoW type hotbar "skills". Face it - nobody needs or wants these hotbar "skills" anyway because every single other mmorpg has it.

Endura and Ice Queen like this.
  11. Solstar

Solstar Avatar

I don't disagree with the systemic hotbar issue plaguing mmos.

But my skills don't jump around randomly like my character has a concussion. I place my skills in the hot key I want them to appear in.

Then I just use active attacks and positioning until I want to use a skill or combine some skills.

The ability to slot drawn hot keys with specific powers, lock some hot keys with one power, and have a mildly more engaging rotation than just waiting for GCD makes enough of a difference to the hot bar, that, within the confines of having to use a hot bar, this system is nothing like WoW.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2015
    Miracle Dragon likes this.
  12. Archangel

Archangel Avatar

Now tell me how is that different from WoW?

Ice Queen and enderandrew like this.
  13. Solstar

Solstar Avatar

Read my edit.

14. Solstar

Solstar Avatar

The global cool down doesn't exist. You are not stuck with the same power in the same slot if you don't want to play that way. You are not perfecting a rotation ad nauseum. There are active attacks using the mouse. You can combine skills into actual different combos instead of being given the illusion of combos in a rotation.

That will suffice for now.

Edit: I'm done discussing this in a 4 month old thread.

Miracle Dragon likes this.
  15. Archangel

Archangel Avatar

But in the end you do the same thing as in every other WoW, L2, etc... - continuously pressing hotbar keys instead of fighting and using any kind of tactics or fun game elements.

16. Solstar

Solstar Avatar

I say one last thing. Even many "action" games have hot bars now. I play melee and the difference between winning and losing has everything to do with multitasking movement, mouse attack, and skill use. Not standing near an enemy pressing G1 to auto start my attack rotation macro.

Logain and Duke Raas like this.
  17. Archangel

Archangel Avatar

And so the person with less lag wins every time. No fun in-game mechanics involved.

P.S. hotbars are technically 100% the same macros - they just have a limit of 1-2 moves in them

enderandrew likes this.
  18. enderandrew

enderandrew Legend of the Hearth

Locked hotbars with set ability cooldowns lead to WoW rotations. It is inevitable. People are saying they don't want WoW and when someone presents something new, they're terrified of trying and it and then insist we put in the WoW system. I really don't get it.

19. Archangel

Archangel Avatar

There are sooooo many ways of making it right. I remember the old RuneScape arena - only your stats mattered and the only trick you could make is to use a special weapon skill (only one). The tactic was to use a right weapon in the right situation, make a final blow to the enemy. And this is just a one example, but I like the concept that certain items open an option for you to use some kind of special skill. Like dagger - stab, poisoned katana - poison an enemy, clobber something with a maul.

And sadly glyph system is nothing new - at least I don't feel any difference in clicking between many skills that are random or not.

20. enderandrew

enderandrew Legend of the Hearth

Dynamic hotbar with combos isn't new? I've never seen it in a game before.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.