Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Skull Markers at Entrance to scenes.

Discussion in 'Release 25 Feedback Forum' started by Sold and gone, Dec 30, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

Somewhere underground waiting to get you!
    they have not been there until a couple releases ago

Harmony2, Ice Queen and Tahru like this.
  2. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

then they should have them. I am asking for a toggle as not to ruin my game.

Chatele, Harmony2 and Ice Queen like this.
  3. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

I see, so you're allowing your neighbors' to believe that it was the poor crocs that did in those pigs and dogs - and not your initial, lower levels training in the area.... :eek:

4. ThurisazSheol

ThurisazSheol Avatar

he can't help it that his VR rig is VERY realistic...

5. Selene

Selene Avatar

Adventure right on over to uo.stratics.com, in my case. :D I kind of like the marker posts. I think they are helpful to new players who are just getting used to being in the game, and with the new starting areas being spread across the world for the different virtues, scenes of different levels are all mixed in together. All that being said, I see no reason why they couldn't be toggled off.. or maybe scaled back.. so there are 1 or 2 level skull area signs for newbies and everything else is adventurer, beware!

6. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

They might be there now but they never used to lol. Anyways, I think one of the key words is you "think" they might be helpful to others. And they might be. Now are they helpful to you personally? Why do you want them for your character. I do not mean to be dismissive I just have issues when people try to speak for other people lol. Its my OCD :p Also, In the past I think that after people do the storyline it has been said that the avatar might be around level 30. This would nulify a need for any skull markers then. at least low level ones for those who need them.

Harmony2 likes this.
  7. Selene

Selene Avatar

Yes, I "think" they might be helpful. Because, as you said, they were not there before ( when I was learning the basics of the game). I know I would have appreciated having them then. And if I might have appreciated them as a new player it is not a leap that others might find it helpful.
    I think you do... (see what I did there) I didn't disagree with the idea of having an ability for you to toggle them off, since clearly it's an issue for you, but your assumption that no one would find them valuable and shouldn't have them is rather a lot of thinking of what is best for others, isn't it?

Lace, Gaelis and Kara Brae like this.
  8. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

I never said no one would find them valuable. I simply said what I want in the game. Portalarium can dumb down a game but that makes it worthless to people that want to figure stuff out themselves. So in order to have it hand holding it ruins another s game. The converse is that if some one was having problems then they can find help, watch a video, join a guild, ask in the forums. One way is forced hand-holding and the other is optional asking for help. And no I am not trying to be dismissive, I am trying to debate you. Please do not take it personally.

Harmony2 likes this.
  9. Woftam

Woftam Avatar

I like them. I find them helpful when looking for a new area to hunt in.

Sqrink, Lace, Gaelis and 1 other person like this.
  10. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

would you mind a toggle to turn it off for those of us that do not like it?

Net, FrostII and Harmony2 like this.
  11. Woftam

Woftam Avatar

Yeah I wouldn't mind that either.

FrostII and Ravicus Domdred like this.
  12. redfish

redfish Avatar

Ravicus Domdred likes this.
  13. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

aye, when I did the feature request for the skull totems thats what I wanted them for lol, then I got exactly what I did not want haha.

Moiseyev Trueden and Harmony2 like this.
  14. ThurisazSheol

ThurisazSheol Avatar

the more i think about them, the more i want them to be an asset pot and lot owners can place as they wish, letting them toggle how many skulls from 0 to 5.. if that comes to a thing, i may even purchase an arena basement and set the skulls in front if it.

i also think that even though we don't want to hold the players hand and give them an easy button, there has to be a line drawn - where they get SOMETHING in that direction but not the full easy button.

someone above mentioned that maybe having them only in newbie rank 1 and 2 (skull ranks) zones, then everything above that is considered 3+ but the player needs to figure it out from there by adventuring... that would give the lowbies and newbies a simple way to transition to no more hand holding, while making the game still feel whole.

see, i don't think this should be a game with zero hand holding - i think this game (chapter) should be a transition for players to no longer need them..once we move to chapter 2 and beyond, that transition should be over and then no more hand holding.

doing something like that will keep players of all types/generations interested, and bring the newer instant-gratification crowd into the fold here too. if i'm not mistaken the goal is to not hold hands, it doesn't say there cannot or should not be a ramp-up to that goal.

and for those of us who don't even see the markers, or don't WANT to see them, lets set an option to toggle them off, but leave it on by default so WE have to go in and remove it. another great idea mentioned here.

15. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

I made a post on this in the past. :) It got trolled by lum pretty good lol.
    https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/f...ead-on-pike-in-blood-river.38273/#post-433354

16. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

@ThurisazSheol , after the storyline is done they mentioned you would be around level 30. Is there a need for lower level totems?

17. Xi_

Xi_ Avatar

I want to put a skull marker in my yard ..... no jokes about it just being a stake with no skulls :p

18. redfish

redfish Avatar

As, I've said before, my biggest problem with the skull markers is that they're even necessary in the first place; in the sense that we have the same exact wolves that in one scene are low level and in another scene are high level.

But, even as it is, its not too difficult to figure out without the markers. Scenes on roads are the easiest, and the further you go out from the roads, and the further you go out from civilized areas, the more difficult the monsters are. This makes some sense, even though I don't necessarily like the implementation. Forests far from civilized areas are more abundant with resources because they've been harvested less. They're also have more wolves, and more dangerous wolves, since the areas are less disturbed.

Once you figure that out, there's no need for skull markers. I don't see why we can't have players share that bit of lore with each other, or even, if necessary, just an NPC warning a new player to stick to the roads.

smack, Moonshadow and Ravicus Domdred like this.
  19. ThurisazSheol

ThurisazSheol Avatar

ooooo i missed that. thanks for the link.

i think there is a need for lower level totems still, some of those newbies will not be playing storyline. some will be here just for the multiplayer aspect, some will be here so they can grind. so not having them for the singular reason that the storyline will bring you to "level 30" is not relevant because there are more reasons to have them.. heck, many gamers have simply ignored storyline in so many games, they either bypass it entirely just for the xp, or they ignore its existance... and i have a feeling that with the ability for us avatars to 'live inside the game' there will be much of ignoring it happening.

personally, i'm going to setup my town, then ignore multiplayer until i'm done with the storyline. i don't care how long it takes, i want that experience first.

idea: you place the marker in your yard, you activate it based on your pvp stats the game will be recording. the better the stats, the more active you are in pvp, the more skulls you have on that stake.
    another idea: you place the marker within a certain close proximity to an arena basement hatch, you link it to the basement, the number of skulls denotes how active that basement is simply based on the number of deaths/wins inside.

Moonshadow and Ravicus Domdred like this.
  20. redfish

redfish Avatar

Spikes with squirrel skulls on them?

Seriously though, the low level monsters are pretty easy for beginners and way too easy when you level up. #FlattenTheLevelCurve #NoGrinding

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.