Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Slow Movement on Overland Map.

Discussion in 'Release 34 Dev+ Feedback Forum' started by Gamician, Sep 17, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gamician

Gamician Avatar

I realize that this is not a bug. I'm sure it is part of the programming to slow us down so much that the game becomes so boring that we just quit in frustration. It is bad enough we have to put up with all the timers when we Rez or the time it takes to gather resources or the dozens of other things that slow us down in just wanting to play the game. And now we have slowdown on the Overland Map, (AGAIN!!) whenever one leaves the path. And it gets progressively worse wherever one goes. Please, Please explain to me why it is so important to make this game as Boring as H$^^. Is this a punishment for POT owners who have their Towns in areas not on a main path. Are you now going to spend hours and hours of programming time to add paths to these towns. The speed on the overland map was almost perfect, still boring but at least tolerable. Now we have gone back to the time when a vast number of players objected to how slow it was on the Overland Map. But no, just like many other things in this game, change it back to what we have argued about a dozen times before. You almost want to throw up your hands in disgust and say "Knock, Knock is there anyone there listening?"

2. Lockey2

Lockey2 Avatar

What I don't understand is why we keep having to go through this torture? It makes me wonder if you dev's are watching us creep at a glacial rate on the overland map and laughing? This code gets put in. We have to holler and scream to get it taken out. Later down the road you put it back. Why? Traveling on the overland map is BORING BORING BORING. So someone decided to make it more tedious multiplied by pie.

Duke Zymurgy, Jamist, Chatele and 3 others like this.
  3. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

I just have to scratch my head and wonder what Port has in mind for the Overworld Map.

There must be some good reason as to why they want us to go slooooo on the Overworld, but - for the life of me - I can't figure out what it is.

The first dozen or so times a person runs across the Overworld, it might be cute, interesting and fun.
    The next zillion times, not so much.

If the Overworld is simply there so we have a "real" continent to look at between scenes (for the sake of immersion) , then why in the world do we have to go slooooooooo on it ?

Give us some reason why, Port.... please.

I think the bulk of us don't much appreciate being bored to death.

4. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

The overland map is a staple of the ultima series. Random encounters where a part of the ultima series. Many of us grew up with it/them. I happen to like them as toam not in a rush to finish the "race" to the end content. In which there is no end content. The random encounters simulate being ambushed in unsafe areas.

5. Roycestein Kaelstrom

Roycestein Kaelstrom Avatar

There should be more variation on travel speed aside fastest on paved road and slowest elsewhere. Traveling through grassland shouldn't be that slower than paved road. Mountain hills or swamp, maybe.

6. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

What does that have to do with the speed of travel on the Overworld , which is what the OP is about ?

Chatele and Ice Queen like this.
  7. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

Well in real life i work in grasslands. I can tell you they are full of things that will slow you down. Badger holes and fox holes in tall grass will give you a broken leg pretty easy.

8. Birne Gilmore

Birne Gilmore Avatar

First off: I have no problem with getting slower when off the road, but .... ! ...

1. Don't let us sneak in snail speed ... at least not when not in swampy areas or other harsh surfaces.

2. ALL PoTs and PrTs NEED a road to them ... if they don't get one it is unfair and also frustrating.

3. Enlarge the area a bit which counts at "running on the road" I don't want to skill Mouse-Acrobatics to stay on the road. Give us a meter or two more tolerance.

For the purposes: Let us get more random encounters when off the road. Not "much as hell" but let's say double or tripple as many. As a trade for it: Reduce Random Encounters on roads significantly.

9. Roycestein Kaelstrom

Roycestein Kaelstrom Avatar

Consider we can jump down from two story building with full plate mail with minor scratches in Novia. I expect these holes would only cause you to lose 3-5 hps.

10. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

i can agree with this :)

Chatele and Birne Gilmore like this.
  11. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

hehe well think of them as cantrips

Birne Gilmore likes this.
  12. Lockey2

Lockey2 Avatar

Frankly, they need to leave that up to the individual. What they should do is give us the option to slow down overworld speed in game controls. Why must those of us be PUNISHED with such drastically slower speeds on the overworld when so many of us hate it? Why not just give us a toggle to slow it down if we so choose? Where is the immersion if it's something that we don't want?

Chatele, Ice Queen and FrostII like this.
  13. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

its not punishment, its game design.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2016
  14. Birne Gilmore

Birne Gilmore Avatar

It's all about balance ... Of cause many people want to have it fast and easy to get to different points on the map, others want to have a feeling for local communities and an immersive gameplay. You just cannot give all what they want. The only way to get a a point which at least satisfy most of the players is to find a good compromise!

Elite Dangerous had the same just some weeks ago. They want to implement a feature so that you don't have to travel arround to switch to others of your ships by giving the ability to "call" ships to your current location for a fee. This was planned to happen instandly so that it don't brake down gameplay. but Suddenly many people cried out loud and said, that they don't want this to happen instandly, but it should take a long time. Some even said that first other players should have to make a mission where they then fly the ship to the location before the owner can jump in (not to mention that this will not work in a game with over 10k systems with star ports ^^). ... So they made a poll and have seen that really most players want a small delay, but only a "small" one. Now the feature will come with a delay ranging from 5 mins to an exeptable maximum (if it is a real long route).

like @Ravicus Domdred said: "It is game design" - and added by me - "... not a happy wish-you-what and everyone will be happy on the easy way" ;)

15. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

It would have been worth slowing down like this if it also came in conjunction with mounts to move fast. I would be that this is the reason. Maybe mounts are coming soon.

Resolute likes this.
  16. Lockey2

Lockey2 Avatar

"its not punishment, its game design."
    You can call it that all you want. But it is punishment for ALOT of us. I rarely have more than a handle of hours to play each week. The more time spent on overworld is BORING, Tedious, Punishing. Again, they could easily allow the option with a slider to slow it down to the rate a player wants VERY EASILY under Games. To force people who dislike such punishing slow speeds is POOR GAME DESIGN. Not to mention even worse customer service. Again, why must they keep bringing in this poor design that so many customers dislike. YES, DISLIKE. In spite of our constant complaints about it. We get upset, they take it out. They later down the road put it back even though they know we dislike it without even the courtesy of saying why? BAD BAD CUSTOMER SERVICE.

Ice Queen and FrostII like this.
  17. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

Drama much? Your whole argument is a strawman argument invoking the word "others" and "we". I get this is the way you feel and i guess you never played the ultima series in which the overland map was the standard.

18. Lockey2

Lockey2 Avatar

Started out in the beta and played for MANY YEARS. Still have an account there. Careful throwing stones. You seem to forget that as soon as recall stones and then later the books came in Most people use those. Still today. Only a few insist on walking from City to City.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2016
  19. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

I am talking about the ultima series, not UO. Shroud is the spiritual succesor of ultima 4-7 and uses the online abilities of uo.

Black Tortoise likes this.
  20. Lockey2

Lockey2 Avatar

Started Playing the Ultima Underworld then the series. I remember that as well. This overworld experience in no way lives up to those games. AT ALL.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.