Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Slow Movement on Overland Map.

Discussion in 'Release 34 Dev+ Feedback Forum' started by Gamician, Sep 17, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

I could NOT agree with you more, @Beli .....

Slow speeds on the Overworld will hurt Port's user base more than anything I can think of...
    Slowing us down up there, is a very, very bad idea.

Whatever happened to the Overworld presence of Random Encounters that was promised ?
    You know, the one where we could decide to go into them or not ? So - if we were running to join our friends - we could decline....

Make it fast on the Overworld for those of us who play together as guilds or groups, give us the option to re-route to accept an encounter IF WE CHOOSE TO DO SO, and we'll all be fine....

When you've got 7 friends waiting for you to get there (to finish out the 8 person party), give me these choices...

Anyone who wishes to go really sloooo on the Overworld to enjoy something that escapes me - I have a recommendation for you. Hit the Keypad / key. Walk, look around, enjoy those trees...
    but please understand that many most of us have better things to do.

Port.... please cease and desist making travel even more tedious for those of us who need to get together on the other side of the world in a reasonable amount of time.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2016
  2. Bow Vale

Bow Vale Avatar

I understand to a degree what they are attempting here.
    I do want the game to echo reality as much as possible personally and am for things like no npc vendors/food requirements else bad effects/ all resources/items made/grown by players etc. I have to this day only used 1 Teleport scroll, as i generally think of them as an immersion breaker for the world, i have only used once because i didn't want someone waiting around for me to get there as they were doing me a favour. I always run everywhere, all over the map, and it was no issue for me to do that with present speed on the map, i actually enjoyed it. The speed now was just about perfect. I don't want to be forced to have to start using them to make time in the game beneficial, especially if time is limited.

If they want to add this for offline play then sure go ahead, those people would appreciate it more i think, and there is no need to visit POT's or PRT's generally there, even if u can. But having this in for the mmo part just hampers the vast majority. I live in a PRT, and the only way to get there is to wander across grassland/and hills for quite a way, i know it will put me off moving (waddling) at that pace to and fro a path, and i know for sure that virtually no one will waddle themselves over those hills, to possibly glance at a boat nestled up to the cliff and want to explore/visit that PRT. Hardly anyone does now, if this comes in the vast majority of where people live will feel isolated and lonely.

I don't mind supporting the game, and buy more than my share of things from the store. I have never used a potion of whatever though, or intend to either use one for speed gain on map or to buy special speed increases from the store. I understand the potions of the obsidians are a method to fund the game, and you don't need to buy to play the game but your life will be easier if you use. Having these benefits to enhance a part of the game that has been neutered on purpose to make this purchase attractive, doesn't sit very well with me, and i imagine most others as well. And I'm hoping that this speed lowering is not another method to extract coin from players so they have a 'normal' experience.

Might be an idea to redo the trailer with this slight change........." Do not go with where the path may lead but go instead where there is no path, and leave a SNAIL trail "

Budner, Beli, FrostII and 1 other person like this.
  3. Resolute

Resolute Avatar

Agreed, however if that is the case mounts should come BEFORE they start slowing people down on the map.

FrostII likes this.
  4. Resolute

Resolute Avatar

If this gets put in I'm blaming you and will be campaigning for a Envy wall mounted head for the addon store next.

Beli likes this.
  5. Resolute

Resolute Avatar

This x1000.

FrostII likes this.
  6. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

I'm sure you will have to join the queue for an Envy wall mounted head ;)

7. Attenwood

Attenwood Portalarian Emeritus Dev Emeritus

Our team is aware of the feedback, and discussing potential design solutions/compromises. Thank you all for reporting.

NRaas, moko, Black Tortoise and 4 others like this.
  8. Gamician

Gamician Avatar

Excellent Beli! Even in their own trailer! It has changed from a spirit of adventure to come smell the roses and sit around a campfire toasting smores all day long.

Resolute, Beli and FrostII like this.
  9. scroda

scroda Empyrean Enforcer

Would just like to add my opinion.

I believe we should be rewarded instead of punished, i.e. speed up while on the road instead of slowed down if not. Perhaps have a slow down in really dense forest(not just a single tree) areas only.

Example I pull out of nowhere:
    110% move speed = road
    100% move speed = grass, flat, etc
    75% move speed = dense forest, etc

It's just nice to feel rewarded.

thank you

Budner and Ravalox like this.
  10. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

I guess it us the same as is proposed. Its just the way you look at it.

11. Turk Key

Turk Key Avatar

Perhaps we can convince one and all that lagging is a feature.

Black Tortoise likes this.
  12. Black Tortoise

Black Tortoise Avatar

This reminds me of that Ima Newbie episode where he finds a mysterious tower in the middle of the Britannian forest and inside is a big lever controlling all the lag for UO.

13. Attenwood

Attenwood Portalarian Emeritus Dev Emeritus

Thank you all for the feedback. I'm moving this to the appropriate and ~NEW~ feedback forum. This has been passed to our System designers for further review and potential design changes.

Thanks again, so much!

calkano (PAX) and scroda like this.
  14. Chatele

Chatele Avatar

LOL I was about to type the same thing.... Wouldn't mind if they'd give us MOUNTS, real mounts, like horses etc, and not the stupid coconuts .... And sell special mounts different from what you can buy in game for, in the add-on store for those of us that want something different and unique... yet not ridiculous like riding gators etc like other games do. Keep the mounts in line with the games design and era. Maybe Llamas, special horses like a winged horse, or a unicorn, camels to coincide with the desert areas ( 1 hump or two anyone? :) ), donkeys (which would be a bit slower then Horses) , etc ....

15. Toadster

Toadster Avatar

Seems like a big split between game play types for this thread. I tend to lean toward the I don't want to be bored on an overland map side. But, I can see why some Players want the grind and encounters for their single player Emersion.

Is there a way to set this based on the game mode? If single player force random encounters, slow down travel. When friends online and multiplayer, options to turn off random encounters and speed things up a bit. When I am playing with friends I am trying to get somewhere and I am getting better about not screaming SQUIRREL and jumping off the road every time I see something.

FrostII likes this.
  16. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

I'm still trying to determine exactly how anyone can find any sort of "immersion" in our "Overworld" travel - period - much less any sort of enjoyment in making it even slower than it has been ???

Aldo and Duke Zymurgy like this.
  17. Metlore

Metlore Avatar

I feel the overland map travel speed changes are a good thing. I often thought "What is the purpose of roads if they don't affect anything?" This is now solved. I also feel it will help with the regional economy. Once the map encounters get implemented, this will also add to it. Taking a shortcut through forests has a toll...

Ravicus Domdred likes this.
  18. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

I think people forget this is an RPG. Actions and consequences are a part of the world. You go off a paved road and travel becomes harder and more dangerous. The food system has planned for a long long time. If anything I would blame port for not having this implemented all along, so we do not have to pull the passifier out of the babies mouths and get all the crying. (Its a metaphor, not saying anyone is a baby here). Immersion as been promised since the kickstarter and this is part of the immersion like it or not. I have to ask "what actually brings you to an ultima series game? The series was single player and immersive. I know I am going to get people replying: "oh, there goes the dude talking about immersion again". But it is important to many of us, and we want things that have meaning. I am not in a rush to get anywhere or to be top dog, or to hurry to dance on a table for 2 hours. I want to role play, to be able to have repercussions for my actions, and to actually play a "role playing game". I do not want to skip over content just to rush to the next community venue. I blame portalarium for that also, for ONLY pushing the community venues and not reinforcing the storyline, single player theme that was promised.

Elwyn and LoneStranger like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.