Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Slow Movement on Overland Map.

Discussion in 'Release 34 Dev+ Feedback Forum' started by Gamician, Sep 17, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

It is like u3 but better graphics

2. Gamician

Gamician Avatar

I do not see where this has anything to do with the speed someone travels on the overland map. I understand the appeal of walking a path and discovering new things or meeting new obstacle but that kind of game only works for a single player. When playing with a large number of friends, living in different areas of the map and trying to coordinate a hunt it is one large pain in the Arse. This kind of slow down only benefits the 24/7 player who has nothing better to do. When you only have 2 or 3 hours a night to play, spending 1 hour of that time slowly traveling across, a large area to get to where your friends are or just getting ready to hunt is another pain in the Arse. Add to that the penalty time to Rez every time you die, and have that timer get longer and longer is again another pain in the Arse. Of course if you just want to sit around in your house and walk on the overland map every once in awhile and fight level 1 and 2 MOBS all your life, then yeah I can see where taking forever to go from one place to another might be fun. But it was my understanding this was a Multi-Player game that would offer Single Player mode online and offline. Are we changing that again now to just a Single Player Offline Game? When I get on I want to spend my time efficiently as possible not spend it crawling from one instance to another or crawling to some town to unload and sell what I have collected.

Resolute, FrostII and Lockey2 like this.
  3. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

I haven't checked it out but if the speed is anything like it was before it was removed the first time then I guess the Devs are just building in new 'features' for reviewers to trash them over.....possibly yet another self inflicted wound.

Duke Zymurgy, Resolute and FrostII like this.
  4. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

Its called immersion and simulated reality. Not all of us are min/max socialites. Some of us actually try to immerse ourselves into the game and understand the mechanics. Its my belief that the instant gratification min/max crowd wants to make this game just like other mmos. This idea is opposite of Richards idea.

5. Lockey2

Lockey2 Avatar

If this were to be that kind of game then there would be no zoning in and out of cities/pots etc. We would be running across actual terrain watching for monsters guarding hidden caches. But it is hardly that. Your idea of immersion is not for everyone. Trudging across the overworld after several times of zoning in and out of areas is no "Immersion" There is little to immerse oneself in. Sure they throw in the "Something on the Road Catches your Eye" Another snooze fest. It's either too low level or crazy high level. No connection to the level of the person playing. No "Discovery's" Along the road or the path least taken. Just zoning in and out and long slow slogs from area to area. ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

Ice Queen, Resolute and FrostII like this.
  6. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

They should sell potions on the addon store to increase overland map speed and reduce random encounters........would sell loads for sure :D

Edit: Devs I was being sarcastic.....please don't do that.

7. Birne Gilmore

Birne Gilmore Avatar

Could we please come back to a normal civilized friendly discussion? ... Thx a lot ...

I think the idea of geting slower off the road could also include some upsides. For example: What if we could travel faster on roads in exchange? What if there WILL be some new stuff to find off the road? What if this is just a first of many changes to the topic and they are just feeling that it was to much reducing and we get other benefits and a small reroll?

Of cause I can understand the frustation some people feel in the moment with the new speed, especially with the fact in mind that there are not all PoTs and POIs connected to a road (which should be changed). Many people want to get fast to many points in the world which is understandable. On the other side some people want to have slower movement (like me, who also support the idea to make teleports much more expansive and want to hava a cooldown for them) so we need to find a middle way. I hope the devs do the right and give all people the options they want while adding features we would be happy about. If that will happen? - We will see ... but please stay calm and discuss the topic with respect for each other ;)

8. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

Instead of changing the game to fit YOU maybe finding a game that fits your needs.

Black Tortoise likes this.
  9. Birne Gilmore

Birne Gilmore Avatar

nope, not the right way to see stuff ... On the other side, may be some features will not be liked by you, so it's easy said, but not solved that simple. Let us talk about finding a solution which will satisfy all of the SotA players, not only one side of the community. Discussion is to come together and talk about something, not jumping into an arena to fight for the own opinion.

While his post was somehow emotional loaded it still has some good points. There HAS to be more and random encounters are dull atm, so if things don't change there is a lot of frust in this system. I just believe that we will get more and more over the time, also past 1.0 since the devs allready told us that they want to keep the rhythm of monthly releases. So let us get some advices for them together how to make stuff good and discuss what is annpoying from different perspectives.

Ravicus Domdred likes this.
  10. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

Ya i agree. I tend to react to strawmen with prejudice and i should realize people so not evenknow they are doung it. From my point of view we areall individuals and we all should treat each other as indivuduals. I agree that different perspectives are needed also. I also agree that we should know what the game is based on.

Birne Gilmore likes this.
  11. Lockey2

Lockey2 Avatar

"Instead of changing the game to fit YOU maybe finding a game that fits your needs." Ah, so I am allowed no imput. Thank you for telling me this. Good to know. Anyone who doesn't see it your way is not allowed any imput whatsoever. Gotcha. Wow, So a way to adjust the speed doesn't suit you. Nope, not allowed. It was a constructive solution. It would have allowed everyone to adjust it to suit them and their needs. But it wouldn't really matter what was offered you would find a way to belittle or shoot it down.

Resolute and FrostII like this.
  12. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

I never said no input. I did say stop the strawman. Keep playing the victim and i will keep showing you the solution.

13. Birne Gilmore

Birne Gilmore Avatar

Here some lines out of the new r34 changelog Darkstarr posted some mins ago

I think that fits into my expectations I had related to the slowdown off the roads ;)

Ravalox and Black Tortoise like this.
  14. Black Tortoise

Black Tortoise Avatar

I think people have a right to object to the extreme negativity, victim-crying, completely inappropriate use of the word "punishment", and general sense of entitlement. It goes way beyond these forums, its a greater sickness that I feel has really infected much of Western/American society. Its unhelpful, causes more problems, and works against one's motives. A simple "Im not a fan of XYZ, here is how I would like it to be" will suffice. Much like many others, I do take (slight) offense to the use of "we" and "us" in these childish rants, as I by no means am in agreement with these attitudes.

Pretty much agree. Most of the unhelpful negativity seems to come from those obsessed with min/max. Not everything in life is McDonald's drive through. I personally enjoy the terrain based slowdown (and do agree it could use some tweaking, like everything else in an early access game...). I enjoy listening to the music and waltzing through the woods.

True. Running through open grasslands without a high degree of awareness = broken ankle, bitten by snake, or busted knee after tripping over a hard-to-see small mound of dirt, etc. You could likely do a brisk walk. Forest? Running is laughable, especially in a pre-industrialized-world forest. Sure you could run for a bit to dodge a bear or wolves or something, but a full forced run being the norm is cartoonish. Running through a swamp is outright comical.

Agree with this to a point - the road itself is a desireable chokepoint for thieves. Thieves/brigands/highwaymen/etc are much more likely to stalk the road for "prey" rather than set up an ambush in the middle of no where. Big animals are less likely to be found around the roads, though theyd hardly avoid them if a meal happens by. In any event, roads should have less encounters and off-road should have more.

Also think the plane that is determined to be "road" should be widened, but just a little bit.

I think I agreed with this already, but yeah, this. Its also a work in progress. I imagine better tools for transportation will develop in time. For now, enjoy the walk :).

BTW I just walked from Xenos to Norgard in like a minute (I wasnt counting, might have been 2 mins). Point is the outlash is unwarranted and unnecessary. You can literally walk across a freaking continent in minutes, chill. However people are allowed to simply not-like the change, and if you want a game where your avatar has the super human ability of infinite running and perfect breath control, by all means, request it so. I like my avatar being forced to walk calmly and more alert through the forest and swamps.

15. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

What exactly, does a slow walk across a boring unchanging scene have to do with whatever your unique concept of "min/max socialites" is ?

Aldo, Ice Queen and Resolute like this.
  16. Gamician

Gamician Avatar

Compromise, on any kind of significant delay on travel is fine but it is not the key. The key is how many players will start the game and feel it is too time consuming, how many will see this newest iteration of slow travel compounded with slower travel in tree areas and say that is it for me. I quit. What this is really about is maintaining and increasing the player base not pleasing some small minority of people. If you have to please that minority then spend the time making speed on the overland map a choice and not spend months of programming time on adding roads all over the place. I get the impression that some players feel if they drive off the entire player base they would have the game for themselves. Truth is it would shut down and go the way of Shadowbane.

Resolute and FrostII like this.
  17. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

to you its boring you mean to say. Its not boring to everyone. I think min/max socialites describes itself pretty good.

Black Tortoise likes this.
  18. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

Actually, you have used a term (min/max socialite) that I'm certain you've made up for the occasion - but nevertheless - would you mind indulging me in some sort of description of what a "min/max socialite" is - beyond the term itself ?

19. Birne Gilmore

Birne Gilmore Avatar

I think the devs themself want SotA be for a special group of players, not the mainstream crowd of people. The target were people who love games like UO, the Ultima Series and other kinda "oldschool" RPGs. So yepp, it may drive off some people, but those who love games like SotA tries to be will be satisfied. Of cause this is not a final argument and there still is much change to be done to be realy satisfieing the main playerbase, but just to quicken stuff up to get more players would be the wrong way.

20. Beli

Beli Avatar

Well I have to side with @Bow Vale on this and quote Bow Vale, could not agree more.

Its strange the trailer for the game opens with....." Do not go with where the path may lead but go instead where there is no path, and leave a trail " - Great, fills you with adventurous thoughts and encouragement to explore...its just a shame that when you do get to enter the world you are then penalised for doing what it encourages you to do. Anyone listening to that and then logging in for the first time and exploring the over world map will think its some kind of bad joke I'm sure.

Gamician, Ice Queen, Resolute and 2 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.