So now that you killed The Fall, can you please make The Rise a pvp zone?

Discussion in 'PvP Gameplay' started by belijaal, Oct 28, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

Exactly !
    Sheep to wolves....
    Never worked, never will........:mad:

Cordelayne, Rennik and Stundorn like this.
  2. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

Bring on the wipe at launch!

/ducks

3. GreyMouser Skye

GreyMouser Skye Avatar

Skills and XP wipe only would not be against their wording at persistence. Only messing with items and the RMT Pandora box would be breaking their word.
    I will duck with you because I think the game needs a skill/xp wipe at launch.

Stundorn, majoria70 and FrostII like this.
  4. Ancev

Ancev Avatar

I'd like guilds to be able to claim the control point for themselves and wherever their closest guild chapter house would be would get treasure chests/supply crates generated in that town. This could be an npc town or POT. The longer the control point is held the more supply crates spawn throughout the scene. (some of them near the guild chapter house, some of them in other random areas)

Anyone could claim these crates. The supply crates could be in tiers, after tier 3 the supply crates activate your pvp flag if you loot them.

5. Jezebel Caerndow

Jezebel Caerndow Avatar

The problem you run into with giving really good rewards for pvp is players who do not want to pvp will feel left out. Lots of players who play sota do not like pvp. If we can find rewards that are good only for pvp, then it will not bother the non pvp players.

FrostII likes this.
  6. DavidDC

DavidDC Programmer Moderator SOTA Developer

Don't forget that there is is still 4 boss to kill in the fall which is great for a party. Also there is a unique monster (sobek). Plus the PvP arti, the open arena and the ability to find people more frequently than any other map. I never went there to abuse a XP bug at the lich but many did, its fixed, get over it ;)

7. Ancev

Ancev Avatar

In my supply chest scenario the PvE folks would still be getting rewards via the control point.. which would be PvE.. unless the control point would be in a PvP zone. And PvP conflict would still break out at a traditional PvE control point but only by PvP players. Maybe the higher tiered supply chests could be PvE and PvP. The randomness of the spawn location would still encourage PvE folks to run around the scene trying to find them.. (eg: treasure hunters) if it's a PvP supply chest they could alert their guildmates.

And it would always be the option of the PvE player to activate their PvP flag to heal their pvp flagged guild mates/party members, loot pvp chests, steal items from vendors, attack other pvp players, etc

Maybe an option for players to bypass the PvP warning for players who don't want to engage in PvP at all.. think that was mentioned in the last telethon (?) but it shouldn't be enabled by default imo.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2017
    Antrax Artek likes this.
  8. Antrax Artek

Antrax Artek Avatar

Totally agree, my main goals in The Fall are pvping/bosses/shrooms, but i'm a weird player, i don't like grinding too much exp (still level 93 :p )

9. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

This is one of the reasons I like the idea of control points that change the world around them depending on who controls it. Everyone can benefit equally. It may even entice non-PvPers if it means changing parts of the world to their favor for a time.

nonaware, Ancev and Ristra like this.
  10. Vallo Frostbane

Vallo Frostbane Avatar

Agreed 100%.

The game would have needed a wipe week 1 and every release gives new exploits.
    The imbalance and uselessness of "casuals" in PVP comes from it being a KOS deathmatch and nothing more. If we get a real conflict like Order/Chaos Good/Evil groups will form and casuals will also have their place in PVP groups.

Right now its just not really happening unless you're friends with someone etc. There is no conflict hence no reason to ally.

11. Sara Dreygon

Sara Dreygon Avatar

For a few people in the game that could kill 3 liches in 30 seconds it was about the same XP that K'rul gives to everyone. Just not as easy and boring and people could come and try to kill and steal from you whenever they wanted.

Was good for parties too. Met a lot of players there. Back to empty K'rul now for the same XP.

12. Antrax Artek

Antrax Artek Avatar

I agree Sara, there was always atleast a party inside the room, and this created some collaboration also for pvp.
    Btw it is not the end of the world, there are still many things to do in The Fall, maybe grinding exp now is not the best one to do, but we will see.
    I was talking with devs about future idea for the room, i'm sure they will find a good solution.

Sara Dreygon and liz_the_wiz like this.
  13. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

Known things on the way include your character being affected by pvp accomplishments and control-type scenarios

14. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Just affecting your own character seems pretty weak to me.

15. Soryu

Soryu Avatar

I do not think I would classify the experience in the Fall as a "bug". The fast re-spawn I would assume was by design and not by omission. In addition, it was not an exploit. Yes, Lich could be killed and they spawned quickly and then killed again. However, the player had to be high enough skilled to do so and received significant damage in return. Because the spawn time was fast, lower levels could not buff or recover fast enough to repeat. And because of the popularity, few could control the location for long before others arrived to share in the experience. And this resulted in groups and spreading of the experience which is the intention of the game.

And yes, players were able to take advantage of game mechanics to utilize sneak and line of sight to avoid full room agro. However, every game I have ever played entailed attempts to pull mobs solo to kill more efficiently. Even green many green mobs agroed can wear down and kill medium skilled players.

There are always multiple sides to discussions. Perhaps the spawn rate was in fact too fast, but as is normal it resulted in over compensation by the designers. The zone is now relatively empty, even the pick pockets have left. The designers could have taken a more gentle approach and used a small hammer rather than a jack hammer. They were certainly successful in eliminating the experience, the pvp and the pick pockets faster than a speeding bullet and more powerful than a locomotive.

belijaal and Sara Dreygon like this.
  16. Bow Vale

Bow Vale Avatar

I know they are trying to be efficient with monies spent but i think using the Ban Hammer also as the balancing hammer is causing some issues, Need a precision hammer for balancing!!

Tiina Onir, belijaal and Sara Dreygon like this.
  17. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

One of the major challenges to balancing is that it is usually not a precise science. Though I don't think I tend to agree with the pendulum approach. If it's too weak, nudge it up a bit at a time until it feels right.. if it's too strong... nudge it down a bit at a time.. The one exception would be if something is truly exploitable, then if you don't know how far to take it make a bit change.. but then go back to baby steps. Probably how I'd do it unless there was a very compelling reason to do otherwise.

I try to cut the devs some slack though since it really isn't an exact science.. It can be pretty hit and miss. You can't just run some numbers through an equation and say.. 'yup that's balanced'.

Bow Vale, Mac2 and Sara Dreygon like this.
  18. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

= EXPLOIT plain and simple

Now Balance - - this can NEVER be accomplished in PvP in a skill based game. Any game where a player with a skill of 80 in one area can take on a player with 120 in another area and destroy them, can never achive "Balance". The only way to even start to balance PvP in ANY game is there has to be = skill at the start - THEN you can balance out what weapon / spell / techniques does and equal damage / defense for each can be looked at to "Balance" things out

Sorry but PvP in this game and ANY game like this there can NEVER be balanced, there will always be a skill / template of the day .

You can argue with me all you want I am done here since it is the same debate that has and will go on over and over , and will get brought up again - and then I will make same post about balance.

Peace

Cordelayne, Xandra7 and Stundorn like this.
  19. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

The template of the day can be balanced. Unequal equations of 80 vs 120 don't need to be balanced. They are unbalanced by design. The disparity between the unbalance doesn't need too drastic though.

20. Andartianna

Andartianna Avatar

It's not an exploit the same game set up with a boss with mobs that spawn over short periods is still present in both K'rul and the Rise. The Fall was just more fun cause it was only pvpers in there.

Cryodacry and belijaal like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.