Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Some suggestions on inventory, conversations and maps

Discussion in 'Release 6 Feedback' started by Lord_Darkmoon, May 23, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

After having played R6 a bit here are some suggestions on how I think some systems could be improved:

- While I love the Ultima 7 style inventory system, sometimes it is a bit hard to sort or find things in the bag. The alternative we have is the list inventory which doesn't appeal to me at all. So maybe would it be possible to include some sort of sorting function for the bag-inventory? If you sort it, the items could be put into some kind of (invisible) grid similar to how it was in Ultima 9. But you would still be able to move the items around freely. But you could then alway push the sort button and you would then have a "tidied-up" bag.

- My biggest gripe so far is the conversation system. It is not fun talking to NPCs. It is chaos. I know Portalarium is thinking about a proper conversation interface but maybe Lum could fill us in a bit on those plans? How do you plan to have the interface look like? Will there be portraits or will you use camera zooms etc.?
    Right now I am avoiding talking to NPCs as it totally rips me out of the game going into a chat, hoping to ask the right things and not even really knowing who I am talking to...

- I think we need maps for the areas. I was getting lost in a forest as I couldn't find the exit which was somewhat frustrating. A cartography skill would be really cool. So if you do not have cartography you cannot create a map. If you have cartography the detail you can create a map would depend on how much points you spent on the skill. So with just a few points you just get a very crude sketch. Having mastered the skill it could look like the cloth map of the overworld we still have in the game...
    I think that Wizardry 7 used such a system where your skill in cartography determined how detailed the map looked.

Kaisa likes this.
  2. abovenyquist

abovenyquist Avatar

Totally agreed with the trouble with NPC conversations. I'm constantly having NPCs I talked to three minutes ago seemingly responding to things I'm trying to say to another NPC. Sometimes it seems like several NPCs are trying all respond to the same question from me. I also agree that it feels weird chatting with NPCs in the same way one does usual MMO chat (not that I've played a lot of MMOs). It might help if our avatar turned to face the character we are talking too.

Agreed on the map too -- I know RG wanted to avoid making things too easy, but there really is too much aimless running around. Or, at least, I'm aimlessly running around...

3. selbie

selbie Avatar

Agreed on all points.

One idea I have been pondering is the ability to 'zoom in' on your bag just like in real life where you would pull the bag up to your face to see things closely. I'm thinking you would hover your mouse over the bag you are looking at and use the scroll wheel to expand it on screen. This would result in all of the items spreading out more to see them clearly. I did like the U9 grid system so that could be combined as well.

Agreed with the local maps. The town housing is unavoidably generic so you cannot rely on it to see any landmarks for wayfinding. I am often looping in circles 2-3 times just to find my lot.
    The Cartography skill could also determine at what range you reveal the map.

I also support the use of an NPC dialogue separate to the chat. However, the ability they've included to click on the keywords is good enough for me.

4. Kaisa

Kaisa Avatar

Yep definitely agree with the OP.

5. pjt15253

pjt15253 Avatar

Honestly I don't have any problem with the bag system in and of itself. Almost identical to the way it was done in UO. The only things I've got a problem with on this topic are these:
    - The item icons are FAR too big. Shrink them down, please.
    - Defaults to splitting stacks when clicking and dragging - give me the whole stack! I'll tell you if I want to split.
    - Really minor thing, but maybe highlight the item I'm currently moused over?

Lord Baldrith likes this.
  6. Kaisa

Kaisa Avatar

I agree making the item icons smaller would help a lot! Highlighting would be nice too

Lord Baldrith likes this.
  7. Browncoat Jayson

Browncoat Jayson Legend of the Hearth

I appreciate the larger icons, because anything smaller means we might as well move to generic icons by type as detail would be nonexistent.

The one thing I really want to see is that single-clicking or hovering over a movable object in the world would display the name of the item. For example, a cabinet beyond the secret door in the Clink holds bottles. It would be nice if you could find out what those are without dropping them into your inventory.

8. selbie

selbie Avatar

I would agree only for some of the bulkier items. It can sometimes be painfully slow to try and pick up an item like a sword that is only 3 pixels wide.

9. Willard

Willard Avatar

Agree on some sort of basic map that you can pull up to get an idea where you are. I placed a house but after I explored a bit, I had no idea where it was. I ended up placing another one in some out of the way town.

10. jiirc

jiirc Avatar

They have maps for towns, Stephen has shown them. But the tech doesn't seem to be done yet to use them in game.

11. mike11

mike11 Avatar

I think they are working on it.

For me, I don't like the auto-close and that all types of convo's are grouped into one as well as combat.

I would probably think that you could 'sticky' certain chat zones so you can read the chat with the chat Gui still closed. ie: certain chat's can be seen even when minimized.

I don't like getting cut off from chat when the chat menu minimizes.

More of what we want to see/read and less what we don't need. Needs to be much more slick.

Kaisa likes this.
  12. Browncoat Jayson

Browncoat Jayson Legend of the Hearth

You can pin open the chat window; that's my first chore on entering any zone. Damage numbers should be off by default, or at least filtered to another chat tab. It's just too cluttered at the moment.

Kaisa likes this.
  13. Mugly Wumple

Mugly Wumple Avatar

I once suggested an improvement to bag inventory; a simple layer reversal, as if you were looking through the glass bottom of your bag. This would help alleviate the inventory shuffle without introducing complication.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.