Something that really burns my butt

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Alexandra Cornfellow, Feb 16, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lord Dreamo

Lord Dreamo Avatar

I attest that personal resource nodes would actually encourage more social interaction. You can have gathering groups and hunt resources together. Shared nodes without PvP just means you want to avoid other players as much as possible.

I agree with your sentiment, but I feel in this situation it's short sighted. I would like to be able to gather with friends or random strangers and not have to worry about fighting over the nodes.

In my opinion, anything that would encourage more people to play multiplayer instead of single player is a good thing.

2. Grave Dragon

Grave Dragon Avatar

Its an exaggeration to support the argument to insinuate 3-4 players will be standing waiting to loot a single node. Besides that, all 3-4 of those same players could go to SPO and loot the same node individually and it wouldn't generate any additional resources. SPO is in fact instanced resources.

There is no economic threat.

Ice Queen and HairballHacker like this.
  3. Selene

Selene Avatar

But it's really not. In SPO you would still have to defeat the mobs guarding those resources. Think of the diamonds in the ferocious spider cave. You kill the spider, then all 7 party members loot all the diamond nodes. Each of them gets a turn before the scene can respawn. Suddenly gems are common.

4. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

Ok, but there's a Single Player Online mode and a Friends Only mode that allows you to do just that. Multiplayer should be where I can find MORE player interaction not less.

Womby likes this.
  5. Drocis the Devious

Yes, exactly...and I think this is one of the reasons (the devs sited) for having the final wipe now and not later.

They need to balance out what is going to be a very NEW type of economy that has never been done before in any other game. We not only have regional economies, but we have single player online and friends only online that will impact that on a global level. It's really going to be interesting to see the types of changes they make over the next year.

Womby likes this.
  6. 4EverLost

4EverLost Avatar

Should go get some moon magic. You could've transferred the attention to the helpful helper:p.

SeleneNoctua likes this.
  7. Drocis the Devious

I'm not saying multiplayer games have to have PVP. Also I can't get to that link you provided without a sign in so it means nothing to me.

Please explain why Multiplayer games don't need to have multiple players interacting with each other. By your definition single player online mode is a multiplayer game, correct? Is Facebook also a multiplayer game?

8. Grave Dragon

Grave Dragon Avatar

The argument keeps changing
    This would only be an issue in situations where a single player wasn't capable of overcoming the mobs around that one node alone, but the current reality is they can. I'm more interested in the node being claimed by a person who didn't put the effort into killing the mobs around it, hence resource stealing.

9. Damian Killingsworth

Damian Killingsworth Avatar

Single player online?

10. Selene

Selene Avatar

I am not saying they can't overcome monsters on their own. But when they do, there is only one opportunity to harvest. It doesn't matter if it is a group defeating a group of foes or a single player expending more individual effort.

Effort put in = 1 node.. not effort put in = any many nodes as individuals pass by until respawn.

Womby likes this.
  11. Grave Dragon

Grave Dragon Avatar

I understand, and mentioned earlier this could be easily overcome with limiting a maximum of 2 unique player harvests per node, per respawn timer. It would for the most part eliminate the issue the OP presented.

I'm not interested in unbalancing anything, I do think reasonable compromise is the best medicine.

12. Selene

Selene Avatar

I think FPO and SPO are already a reasonable compromise for overcoming players who steal resources or kills or anything in an adventuring scene. Why make something more complicated when there are already ways to avoid it, especially when making it more complicated opens up opportunities for abuse.

Womby and 4EverLost like this.
  13. Grave Dragon

Grave Dragon Avatar

Players who want to remain social should not be forced into SPO or FPO simply because 1% of the player base want to retain the ability to piss other players off.

This is one of the last mechanics that would allow a pvp flagged person into baiting or goading a pve player into attacking them in a pve zone and allowing what I would consider greifing.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2016
    HairballHacker likes this.
  14. 4EverLost

4EverLost Avatar

You are not forced into SPO or FPO, though? If the OP wanted to harvest the resource, he/she could have used the best resource available to him/her in the MP environment - another player.

Can simple ask someone to party, share the resources and have fun together. One fights off the mobs, the other harvests the resources. If the sideswiper then came up, you'd keep collecting because you'd not be bothering with the mob - your friend would do that. And when the partner goes to collect, you fight off the mob. Less change for someone to mistake or cut in. Isn't that what the MP part is suppose to be about? Getting together and helping each other out and all that (not that I'd know much about it cuz I don't play it that often:p).

No additional programming necessary, mom doesn't have to ask the school to change the policies of the public playground because the swing is always occupied. Take turns and enjoy foiling the dastardly. :D

15. Selene

Selene Avatar

Okay, but then shouldn't mobs be instanced to a group/individual so someone can't out DPS you and steal what you are killing? Also there's spawn camping where you would like to fight... or performing rude emotes while you're trying to have a friendly in-the-field conversation... I mean there are 100 ways to piss someone off if you want to.. right?

FPO and SPO were designed to avoid the hastles... when you don't want to compete.. don't compete.. no one is forcing you. But if you want to play in multi-player, it's an open world.. that means you might come across someone doing something you don't like once and a while. Not everything is actionable.

16. Grave Dragon

Grave Dragon Avatar

The recommendation in this thread, the answer to the problem is SPO and FPO. That's why I said it. There are also social ways to circumvent PKs but they made pvp voluntary in the game for a reason.

17. Grave Dragon

Grave Dragon Avatar

Its working fine in other games like FF14 and they aren't having economy issues as a result and they don't have issues with griefing.

18. Selene

Selene Avatar

I am pretty sure (please correct me if I'm wrong) that the best gear in FF14 drops from raids and completing hunts, not from player crafting. SOTA is designed to have the best gear be made by players, so crafting takes on a much bigger emphasis and gathering resources becomes a much more important component.

Womby likes this.
  19. Grave Dragon

Grave Dragon Avatar

I said this earlier and I will say it again, we are going to have to agree to disagree. I think the only reason people want to keep this in place is so they have a means to abuse it. If you attack a mob and another player out DPS's you on it, in most all games you still get credit for the partial kill and that encourages group play and keeps the angst of kill stealing at a minimum.

These mechanics weren't adopted by all these new MMO's for no reason, they've been tested and proven effective.

20. Drocis the Devious

I've never played WOW or EQ or Guild Wars. I don't play those games because they're theme parks or they're grind machines. What SOTA offers me here, and why I've spent so much money here is that I have an opportunity to interact with other players beyond "what level are you". There's not as much interaction as I'd like, as pvp is very limited and the distribution mechanisms for it are not very sophisticated (DPS). But the story and the ability to have limited housing and persistence through the world makes this the best place for someone like me. (in my opinion)

If we were trying to make another WOW or EQ or Guild Wars, I might agree with you. But we're thankfully not making one of those games. This is not a theme park where everyone is trying to be socially protected through every aspect of the game. There is a multiplayer mode where FOR EXAMPLE, I can put a bounty on the head of another player who has excepted to be flagged as PVP and that's perfectly ok. (yes, I actually did this)

I believe that the goal of this game is not to remove every last piece of player to player interaction that someone might be annoyed by. Namely someone that is "going to chop down a tree at some time in the future, but can't do it right now because there is a wolf attacking her". I mean really, why don't we just create a button that says "automatically get wood"? There's a certain level of player interaction that should be required in multiplayer mode and if we have to agree to disagree on that I understand.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.