Something that really burns my butt

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Alexandra Cornfellow, Feb 16, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alexandra Cornfellow

Alexandra Cornfellow Avatar

This has happened twice so far in R26. I'm standing right next to a resource, fighting for my life against a nasty tempered timber wolf and some goober runs up, chops down the maple tree I'm obviously planning to harvest after my canine friend has been dispatched and runs off. Kinda rude and totally lacking in class in my opinion. Sorry for the rant.

Cheers,
    Cornfellow

2. Smalls

Smalls Avatar

Well the closer we get to persistent, the more you are going to see this happen more often. We will just have to chop off their heads when we can!

3. HoustonDragon

HoustonDragon Avatar

What else burns your butt :p
    [​IMG]

Sucks about the loot ninja though :(

4. Grave Dragon

Grave Dragon Avatar

Final Fantasy 14 has instanced resources. We need them here.

Ice Queen and HoustonDragon like this.
  5. HairballHacker

HairballHacker Avatar

Yup. This happens to me all. the. time. Absolutely infuriating. Not sure why mat nodes aren't instanced like in other games that have already solved this problem.

Montaigne and HoustonDragon like this.
  6. Ravenclaw [BEAR]

Ravenclaw [BEAR] Avatar

Next time, let the wolf go and run out of range until it runs back and attacks them instead. If your fast enough you can do this while they are still harvesting.

Then you can come back and take it while they are fighting. :)

7. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

I understand that this can be annoying. But I have a question for the OP. What's the point of being in a multiplayer environment if this type of interaction can't occur?

Ideally, the person could've just walked up and killed your character, looted your corpse and then taken all the resources you had previously collected before also chopping down the maple tree you obviously planned to chop down. But that's not possible in Shroud of the Avatar, and for good reasons that I strongly support. However, I wonder where do we draw the line? If you don't want people doing that, you can always play in single player online mode. I feel like there are often requests on these forums that are really just eroding what little interaction we have with each other (sometimes it's understandable but other times it's not). And that burns my butt.

I don't like ninja looting anymore than anyone else does, but I do like having meaningful interaction with other players in multiplayer. And it's my opinion that the more we attempt to control what other players can do, the less that is going to happen. It's reasonable to want to take a resource that you're actively fighting an NPC over, but I don't think it's reasonable to prevent other players from using you as a way to obtain a resource they themselves probably couldn't fight over. One of the reasons I own a PVP POT is because I like the idea of players being able to handle all the situations that my occur in the game without the need for extra mechanics. If someone does something you don't like, you can kill them. Again, that's the ideal. It may not actually work out that way for everyone. Just as 100% consensual PVP doesn't always work out for people either. It creates opportunity for abuse that you'll just have to live with.

Quenton, mercster, Haz and 9 others like this.
  8. Lord Tachys al`Fahn

Lord Tachys al`Fahn Avatar

Let the swift gathering standoff begin! :D

Ravenclaw likes this.
  9. Lord Dreamo

Lord Dreamo Avatar

Yeah, a lot of games have moved towards shareable/instanced resources to kind of alleviate these issues. I think it would work well here but port might not want it for economic reasons.

10. Grave Dragon

Grave Dragon Avatar

Lol, resource stealing isn't "meaningful interaction". I vote for instanced resources.

11. NRaas

NRaas Avatar

They are. Simply start the game in SPO or FPO mode and have the entire scene all to yourself.

Works for me. :)

Vyrin, Retlaw, Ronan and 7 others like this.
  12. Drocis the Devious

It can be. It's not by default.

But sitting in a scene with instanced resources is also not "meaningful interaction" and that IS by default.

This is the problem with the modern MMO player. They want the large world, but they don't want the people that come with it. Multiplayer means you get multiplayer's. If you want an instance, go play in single player online mode.

13. redfish

redfish Avatar

I think random player-to-player encounters in the average wilderness scene should be more rare.

1. Its more realistic and gives a better sense of immersion. I don't expect to go into a deep forest and find five people every time I do. Forests, deserts, swamps, mountains, should feel remote and isolated.

2. Players stealing resources from each other will just cause people to log into the game with SPO, which isn't ideal. You want people to feel like they can log into OPO without worrying about these kinds of situations.

Though, you would obviously still meet friends and party members as often as you do.

Miracle Dragon and blaquerogue like this.
  14. redfish

redfish Avatar

Its fine if it occurs. It just needs to make sense. You'd meet people more often at places like crossroads and control points, and in towns. Forests aren't hubs of activity.

Miracle Dragon likes this.
  15. Grave Dragon

Grave Dragon Avatar

Religious opinion. It doesn't have to be chaotic and constantly competitive to be multiplayer.

HairballHacker likes this.
  16. HairballHacker

HairballHacker Avatar

Telling people to go to single player mode or whatever would avoid the problem but I am not sure we want to encourage people to always be going to single player mode to avoid these sorts of things. The reason why I feel that way is that I fear it will lead to very low multiplayer mode populations. Something very similar happened (and still is, last I checked) in another nostalgia-based, Kickstarter-funded game where people made the same sort of argument (and won) - Elite: Dangerous. There, players have fled from online mode to single player mode to the point where the online-only players cried out on the forums.

In summary, setting in stone opinions based on principle and ignoring the realities of human behavior, no matter how distasteful, isn't terribly wise IMO.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2016
  17. Womby

Womby Avatar

Seems people "voted with their feet". If the majority in Elite: Dangerous are in SP mode, then I'm guessing that the majority are now happy. You can't please everyone.

18. Alexandra Cornfellow

Alexandra Cornfellow Avatar

Well the reason I play is that I love PVE multi-payer. I agree with the snake skull, that its gonna happen, and I don't want that to change. I just think it's kinda classless. As for PVP, I see enough of that crap on the evening news--I'll leave it for the younger folks.

Cheers,
    Cornfellow

Gaelis and Cianna like this.
  19. Drocis the Devious

I think these two quotes are reasonable opinions but they both exclude the reality of multiplayer. No matter how hard we try, New Britannia is always ALWAYS going to be a simulation of medieval fantasy. The reality is that Shroud of the Avatar is a video game. That's just a fact.

So trying apply realistic logic or play nice rules to multiplayer doesn't make any sense to the actual world we're in. For example, Avatars never die. They just fade way (read: stop playing). That's a reality we could only code out of existence by adding perma-death, and even that wouldn't stop the same person from using multiple accounts. Do you see what I'm saying here? By asking to make instanced resources, all you're doing is making the world LESS multiplayer. You're taking the sandbox of the game and building up walls around it that makes the sand something you can look at and touch in very specific ways, but something that can't be changed or communicated through.

Grave GodsHammer is correct, multiplayer doesn't have to be chaotic. redfish is correct, forests aren't hubs of activity (in real life). But in the simulation we've created, these things exist for good reasons. Because without them, we might as well be playing in single player mode.

Miracle Dragon and Atmosfear like this.
  20. Roycestein Kaelstrom

Roycestein Kaelstrom Avatar

FPO and SPO will solve the problem right now.

Although, this is player behavior issue, not the game mechanic issue, though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.