SotATravelGuide.com

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by UnseenDragon, Jun 11, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kvothe Kingkiller

Kvothe Kingkiller Avatar

AWESOME-LOOKING PROJECT! I had posted a previous thread that touched on these ideas, but you exceeded what I was thinking immensely. If we can make our own signposts, we should make street names and/or addresses for plots, allowing easier navigation by the guides. OP here - https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/forum/index.php?threads/street-names-addresses.11515/
    Keep up the good work! I would be willing to help out with this in any way if i can, writing, reviewing, or anything else really. I've always thought player-made guides/directories that regularly update and show not only services and vendors, but entertainment and leisure points also, will bring a nice sense of community. You could also do a current events page to list festivals/shop sales/weddings/parties etc. for the whole realm and be THE spot to check.

UnseenDragon likes this.
  2. UnseenDragon

UnseenDragon Avatar

Street signs would be awesome, since as others have mentioned, directions are really important. The idea of the guide is to be immersive, so I don't want to rely on a mini-map.
    We are/will be looking for content provides as the base grows. For right now, reviewing/comments on the website are the best help, but also if there is content you wish to create, that's awesome. I was keeping 'Festivals & Events' for each of the individual city pages, but i'm also thinking of doing regional overview pages which I think is along the line of what you are talking about. This is going to be for a player-driven economy, but is also going to be sourced from the player-run economy. I know it will take a lot of effort to get the word out and then get information/content from all the upcoming players on their stores, festivals, etc...

Shoot me a Private Message if you're interested in getting involved.

3. Winfield

Winfield Legend of the Hearth

I can't answer if she will do maps for other areas. That's up to her. But she seems to follow her passion and always surprises us with the next map (and artwork too!).

I worked with Ashlynn on the Valemark (PaxLair R6) map. She is the artist, I just figured out who lived where and did the numbering. It was pretty hard to visualize the area since it's hard to see the whole area from the top down. It took lots of "run throughs" to see what roads went where. In the future, an overhead map will help. The compass helped a lot.

I believe she draws these maps in photoshop. She has a knack for these kinds of maps! Look!...

SOME MAPS BY ASHLYNN !!

Here are some specific examples:​
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The above UO Britannia Map is printed out and framed full size in a UO 15th Anniversary memento from PaxLair. It hangs at the EA/Mythic office in Fairfax VA.​
    [​IMG]

So... I also think Ashlynn's maps are pretty incredible!

4. stile

stile Avatar

Details for Sundries beneath. Vendor shop and plans for a public library as well as online tool to help coordinate the library efforts. At this time anything outside the About page is really just a blank page to have content put into it once game comes out.
    http://thecaverns.net/sfb/

UnseenDragon likes this.
  5. UnseenDragon

UnseenDragon Avatar

Again, anyone who has plans for a player run shop, restaurant, service (we've already had a few tour guides), festivals, or anything else, please contact me so we can at least get a placeholder for you. All we need to start is a name for your player-run content and a basic description of it.

Thanks Stile, we'll put together a page for you with some basic information.

6. Biblik

Biblik Avatar

Quick question - you have PaxLair listed on your site - is that a confirmed player town yet? From what I have seen so far it is not really a town yet just a couple of players placing houses together for beta.

7. UnseenDragon

UnseenDragon Avatar

Kadumel, short answer = no. We are in pre-alpha right now, so really all information is tentative. PaxLair was a proof of concept as they had done a great job of putting together some content and have a well defined plan for what they wish to do. If you read the write-up, it is discussed that it is within the town of Valemark, but be assured the Guide will be updated to reflect whatever reality becomes. :)

Again, everything in the SotATravelGuide is tentative right now. After all, who knows where most of the players will end up putting down roots.

Winfield likes this.
  8. UnseenDragon

UnseenDragon Avatar

In preparation for R8, SotA Travel Guide is looking for a couple people interested in helping with content development. All you need to have is an interest in writing and a willingness to travel a bit. If you look at SotATravelGuide.com you will get a good idea of the writing style we are looking for.

If you're interested, please drop me an email.

Thanks,

9. Dame Lori

Dame Lori Avatar

(*edit* Did the post I was replying to disappear or is it just me? If so, ignore the following responses :p)

There is no chance for any kind of secrecy in the age of the internet. Those days have been gone for almost 20 years. Walkthroughs and easter eggs are posted for every game pretty immediately. If a player wants to discover everything on their own, they can. It's pretty easy to choose not to read something called a Travel Guide if they don't want to know where everything is. ;)

smack, Duke Violation and kadumel like this.
  10. Dame Lori

Dame Lori Avatar

(I think the important bit is that the game itself doesn't hand you everything up front, and so far they've been doing very well with that)

smack and Duke Violation like this.
  11. UnseenDragon

UnseenDragon Avatar

You are correct, information is easily available and it can be hard to avoid secrets. That was some of my thinking behind the Travel Guide. It can help orient new players, give players some additional flavor, hopefully add to the immersion of the world, but not be a place one has to worry about spoilers. I would agree that if you are wanting to be a 'blind explorer', don't come to the travel guide. We shall see :)

Even maps is something I've gone back and forth on.

Dame Lori likes this.
  12. Prince Guni

Prince Guni Avatar

I like your guide. It is a great project that helped some of my friends get familiar with SotA R7 more quickly.

Ambrosius, Dame Lori and UnseenDragon like this.
  13. stile

stile Avatar

The stone mug. Are you an outlander? Rest easy and come to our underground speakeasy where only outlanders (and in rare circumstances loyal servants) are allowed. Youll need the password to get in!

The stone mug is a tavern i will be setting up. Im undecided if i will be using a village or town lot at this time (i have the lot, just not sure which one im using for this)

The tavern will be a basement. This allows for the above indicated RP as well as being its own instance allowing more people.

Most likely an arena basement, with seating around the balconies and events (of any type, including underground fighting but not limited to PvP) in the arena.

Above ground will be a house that is used for something else and that goes by a different name, hiding the speak easy underneath it. Above structure TBD but at this point im leaning towards an INN in which i rent rooms to players for gold. Its kitchens dumb waitering food to the servants below for the patrons.

Web page coming at some point.

14. UnseenDragon

UnseenDragon Avatar

That is music to my ears :)

Dame Lori likes this.
  15. UnseenDragon

UnseenDragon Avatar

Don't forget to bring your Travel Guide (www.SotATravelGuide.com) as you visit New Britannia in R8. We will be working to add additional content during the release.

I'll see you all there!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.