Spider suggestions

Discussion in 'Skills and Combat' started by redfish, Apr 27, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. redfish

redfish Avatar

I'm expecting the devs already have some ideas on this. For instance, I'm thinking we'll probably see spider webs, and cutting through spider webs, in the release game. That's something that seems obvious and has been implemented in many RPGs, as well as would be a source for spidersilk. I'm expecting spiders will be able to poison you too, but poisoning isn't in the game yet.

Here's a few more suggestions, though,

* It would be cool if we could actually get stuck in webs, and have to struggle or use weapons to get out.
    * Aside from cutting spider webs, setting them on fire would be cool. The fire would spread to nearby webs and burn them all down.
    * Spiders that spit webs on the players in combat.
    * Spiders that spit venom on the players in combat. There exists a real class of spiders that attack like this; spitting spiders.
    * Perhaps some spiders that jump; there's a class of spiders called jumping spiders, which leap on their prey.
    * Scenes with many giant spiders also involving dozens of "baby spiders" several times as small, and easier to kill but harder to hit.
    * Scenarios where these baby spiders hatch from eggs to surprise the player.
    * Cocooned bodies, etc., like in Skyrim.
    * Maybe some use for the chitin obtained from the spider carapace (from skinning).

2. Browncoat Jayson

Browncoat Jayson Legend of the Hearth

Spiders that could actually walk on the walls and ceilings would be nice as well. The same coding could be used for insects, lizards, and other types of creatures. Its rare that games allow spiders to move like spiders.

3. redfish

redfish Avatar

@Browncoat, and they could crawl out of crevices.

Speaking of other animals in the game, it might be cool if some were able to camouflage (rather than becoming invisible).

It would also be interesting to discuss what the effects of poison would be like. Aside from just draining health, it would be nice to see in-and-out blurry vision.

4. redfish

redfish Avatar

Mother spider and babies

[​IMG]

Wolf spiders carry them on their back,

[​IMG]

Not suggesting that they be this small compared to the larger spider... in the end, it should be whatever looks good in the game.

Also, obviously, there's room for a Queen Spider.

[​IMG]

But at least three sizes of spiders would be good, so babies in comparison to the normal sized spiders. They'd make good "swarm" monsters, like insect swarms in the Ultima games.

Mercyful Fate likes this.
  5. Margard

Margard Avatar

Bump -

It would be cool - if in a hallway - they could walk on the ceiling ... if a player is not using a torch - the creature would attack from behind with an attack bonus

crossbowsoda likes this.
  6. Margard

Margard Avatar

I began playing Path of Exile (I know a year late .. lol)

There are some things that I love about this game - One being that set up of specific temples - where there are crevices where spiders crawl up from

Beyond it being cool and a little nerve wrecking ... this mob mechanic / level design encourages "careful / strategic " exploration of underground / indoor environments

It also reminds me of the Harry Potter and The Hobbit - where spiders are coming out of all nooks and before you know it you are surrounded ... and possibly dead

I think this would add a lot of value o the game - and definitely make me feel that I'm in a living and dangerous world

-

They also have monkeys climbing down trees ...

-

I know this makes a lot of sense in this game due to its nature but i think that it can be incorporated here to the pleasure of everyone except for those that hate spiders .. lol

redfish likes this.
  7. redfish

redfish Avatar

Yes, and often you don't see the spiders coming.

Necromancers are a fun part of the game, too :>

8. Margard

Margard Avatar

Yeah they are - specially on Hardcore mode ... lol

9. Browncoat Jayson

Browncoat Jayson Legend of the Hearth

Spiders are still bugging me in R6, and I think I figured out why:

# The legs are a bit too thick. They should be spindly; any extra mass should be hair or chitin spurs.
    # All spiders are the same size: giant. We need some regular-sized spiders and insects populating the world. Find a (small) web in a tree with a normal sized spider running around in it, or waiting for prey. Some larger, hand-sized spiders that crawl out from rocks. Larger, cat-sized spiders that accompany their larger kin. And some size variations (15-20%) of the each of the models. Can these simply be randomly scaled, or is scaling currently only for player models?
    # Wall crawling is a must for realistic spiders (and many other creatures).
    # Spiders should have some type of poison. Paralytic types that slow you down, or numbing that cause stun or disarm, would be more common that damaging ones, but all should be present.
    # Traps should be how they are activated, rather than just wandering around aimlessly. Hide in a tree (possibly webbed) or in a trapdoor, and react to someone coming close. Many spiders can boil out of a single bolthole, like noted above, and they should descent from the trees ala the Hobbit.

As an arachnophobic, spiders in most games creep me out to no end. SotA's don't (but the webbed up room in Ravenmoor is downright creepifying). I really want them to!

NRaas likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.