SPO and SP Offline

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by rune_74, Aug 6, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

Personal opinion here - I think that they need to launch the game spring 2015, with live servers. Even if it still has the "beta" disclaimer. Given the nature of kickstarter and people using these forums I'd say that the village mob will be looking for pitchforks and torches by the ides of march. Given that this is a relatively small project a bad rep will not heal easily.
    As long as they don't do character/account wipes people will be fine with a few kinks left in some areas for the first months as long as the overall game is fun.

Ahuaeynjgkxs, Sir Cabirus and Margard like this.
  2. Alexander

Alexander Avatar

The opposite is also true in that releasing a game too soon my may also hurt this title if it isn't finished. Of course, i wouldn't want to wait too long either. I hope that they can get it completed by next spring :)

Vyrin, Sir Cabirus and Margard like this.
  3. Alexander

Alexander Avatar

My apologies and agreed.

4. Margard

Margard Avatar

The only problem with no character wipes is that this game is viewed by many / and I think its a fair assessment - as a competitive game (housing / trading / PvP) ... so it may be a hard sell for the new entrants / maybe you get a two week head start? or something that is not too impactful for brand spanking new entrants

5. Margard

Margard Avatar

yup - I get it - its more like this for me "don't corner yourself" if you can't meet the deadline don't set it / or set one you can meet - its more of a "managing player expectations" thing for me - I'm getting restless and I get it :) ....

Sir Cabirus and Alexander like this.
  6. Margard

Margard Avatar

you didn't do anything malicious / no need for apologies :)

ok - folks - back on topic

Sir Cabirus and Alexander like this.
  7. Alexander

Alexander Avatar

At this point, I really think that we need a dev hangout for the 'single player' dynamics. This way, at least we will know were we stand on this from an official perspective. It would also allow us to ask the important questions that need addressing.

Ned888, smack, rune_74 and 7 others like this.
  8. Gabriel Nightshadow

Gabriel Nightshadow Avatar

Hmm...as someone who has played only single player RPGs prior to SotA, I understand how you feel ;) Be patient. They are still concentrating on getting the base systems (i.e.,combat, food, crafting, housing, etc.) done first. Things which would appeal to single players (i.e., engaging companions, interesting side quests, and an exciting main storyline) will come later. Remember we still have a long way to go. (I wouldn't expect to see Episode 1 of the game in its final state before next spring or summer o_O).

Lord Lonn R-10 WOLF and Margard like this.
  9. docdoom77

docdoom77 Avatar

I agree, in principle. IF we could arrange it, I believe it will still be difficult to get answers to our concerns. Past questions along these lines have been met with answers that are not actually answers to the question. More along the lines of variations "the story will be great, don't worry." When we do get an answer, such as about the dynamic nature of companions, they seem (in my mind, pure opinion and speculation) surprised. As if such ideas had never occurred to them.

But a hangout or deep dive would be a GREAT step in the right direction. Such a request might deserve it's own thread actually.

10. docdoom77

docdoom77 Avatar

I'd love to agree with you, but I can't. Being pessimistic by nature (hope is the breeding ground for disappointment :p), I see this aspect of the game as something the devs really don't consider important. As I've said, it's a feeling, one gained from the tone of numerous responses, but it's a strong feeling. I'd love to be proven wrong, but it really does seem to me that the features we've been discussing in this thread are, at best, an afterthought.

But I do hope my instincts are way off base. You know what they say: Hope for the best, expect the worst.

Ned888, Vyrin, Alexander and 3 others like this.
  11. Gabriel Nightshadow

Gabriel Nightshadow Avatar

Well, I think that the developers do value the importance of the single player experience, but, quite frankly, I don't think there is much in the way of detailed information they could share right now (in a dev hangout) without spoiling it :eek: for us ...

12. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

Somewhere underground waiting to get you!
    I guess for me, with all the donations that I have given to this game, I would rather see it done right, so if it takes a bit longer, I can wait. I would hate for it to be rushed and made poorly because of time constraints. This is just my opinion though and I also would love to play the game as soon as possible, but I do not want to play a shoddy underdeveloped one. :) I love what it is so far!

13. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

Uhm? People in the alphas and betas will have an advantage regardless since they know the system. I don't know what they could for us not to have an advantage?
    But such things could easily be limited by a skill cap debuff and minimizing the rare drop rate, plus higher vendor taxes etc as long as the KS founders and benefactors get to play.
    Then if people want in during that live beta they so far only need to pay $45 ($25 right now).

14. Margard

Margard Avatar

You are right in terms of advantage - buts its a "time" thing - and a perception/reality - of gaming : if your game that has persistent housing is essentially "filled" with players at max level / whom have taken over trading - it simply would not be "fair"

I'm making the assumption that Port wants more players beyond their current player base

15. Sir Cabirus

Sir Cabirus Avatar

I would appreciate such a dev hangout - but otherwise, in this thread are enough questions already, which are unacknowledged. Why not just answer these questions?

Ned888, smack, Joviex and 5 others like this.
  16. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

Somewhere underground waiting to get you!
    anyone who starts the game after launch will have the same problems. I do not think it is that big of a deal personally. Some people will start 4 months after launch, do you think they will feel cheated because they are behind? Some people might feel that way but for the most part people will just join in, find some friends and play the game. :)

Trenyc and Gabriel Nightshadow like this.
  17. Margard

Margard Avatar

Nah - they won't .. but its all about / we all start at same starting line .... no one is mad if you already know the course ( lol ) and no one is mad if they came late to the race :)

18. Lord Lonn

Lord Lonn Avatar

My only thing about the Cooking Hangout is that I'm hoping sometime the Avatar can make up their OWN RECIPE!!
    I think the Avatar can be quite creative to concoct a healthy meal....
    Maybe some day ;)

19. Alexander

Alexander Avatar

I also would like to see a response to our questions. However, I still remember the last thread on this topic "SPO and SP offline" where RG dropped by to reassure us and not to worry. And although I appreciated the fact that he did comment in that thread, I still would have liked a follow up afterwards by at least one of the devs with more detailed information or a 'road map' so that we have a good idea of where this is going. I suggested the Dev Hangout as one possible alternative if they don't want to comment here for some reason. Either way, I would like a clear picture of where this is going.

rune_74, Joviex, Vyrin and 3 others like this.
  20. Vyrin

Vyrin Avatar

There are many things they can talk about that are not spoilers. Only lore/story elements are spoilers not mechanics.

I think the point trying to be made is that the amount of time spent on something indicates its relative value to the developers. We don't have any information that they are even working on things behind the scenes. Is there a plan for testing solo offline in a future release yet? Who knows at this point? A simple plan or statement on what's being done behind the scenes or when they plan on getting to it would be a great small start.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.