SPO and SP Offline

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by rune_74, Aug 6, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

I have mentioned this in the past and it didn't get any traction. I'm not sure why there hasn't already been one if they consider it an important part of the game.

Ned888, Alexander, Trenyc and 5 others like this.
  2. High Baron O`Sullivan

High Baron O`Sullivan Avatar

You might be able to find some answers here....

3. Turk Key

Turk Key Avatar

Do you have this opinion regarding the Single Player Offline mode too?

4. Sir Cabirus

Sir Cabirus Avatar

I haven't the time to watch the video yet, but I will do this later. Anyway, thank you for sharing High Baron O`Sullivan :)

Alexander, docdoom77, Trenyc and 2 others like this.
  5. Trenyc

Trenyc Avatar

It never hurts to bring it up a second time. Maybe it'll actually happen if we ask for it enough times. :p

6. FireLotus

FireLotus Royal Bard & Master Dabbler Dev Emeritus

Beating those poor dead horses usually don't help bring them back to life.... and a reminder that the forum rules advise against this practice:

Badger Not thy Kingdom:
    Harassment or bullying of any type is not welcome in this community. We are here to encourage a collaborative spirit, not to shut it down by repeatedly invalidating others opinions or feedback. Consistently strong-arming others into the same discussion, or repeatedly posting the same ideas/opinions in multiple threads/forums also falls under this category and should be avoided.

7. docdoom77

docdoom77 Avatar

Thanks for digging this up. It's been a while since I've seen it and there are plenty here who never saw it.

Unfortunately, it doesn't do much to tackle the subjects we've been discussing. It had a much bigger focus on housing and the technical stuff between on and offline modes.

This was the video I mentioned earlier about companions. Where dynamic function is not even on the menu yet. I really hope that changes.

Ned888, Alexander, rune_74 and 2 others like this.
  8. Margard

Margard Avatar

Maybe we should take a break - and continue discussing this tomorrow (I'm being serious here)

Alexander and Sir Cabirus like this.
  9. FireLotus

We've said many times that the Single Player experience is the Foundation that the entire game is being build on. We've also said we are purposefully holding back elements of the story to prevent "spoilers". And we've stated that as we incorporate features, like combat and PvP, the focus will be ON those features and being what they are, that means also focusing on social aspects of the game. That does not mean we've forgotten about SPO.

There are many other threads on this subject, but creating new ones isn't going to do anything but flood the forums with duplicate topics, which just makes it harder for the team to access the feedback they need when they need it. We're not trying to be dismissive, we're just trying to let you know that we've seen the concerns, we've addressed the ones we can in other threads, and making a new thread a week is not going to help anyone get answers any faster.

10. docdoom77

docdoom77 Avatar

This is good advice. I know that I need to take it.

*walks off grumbling* :p

11. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

Nope. I think that it is a different crowd - but also that I'm not worried about single player whether it is on-or-offline.

to make an epic single player experience you need some really good ideas, then you need to conceptualize those ideas and populate the storyline.
    Since RG is not coding in this project his main purpose is leadership by proxy and content input. Just look at the food document, I'd bet some serious money that there are about 20ish such files for the story concepts sitting right there.
    given that I'd also bet that the scene locations are already set so that those are already having been built or is being built into Novia way ahead of time.
    Tjen at the end when the game-engine basic functionality is running like it should and we leave alpha it will not take devs any long time to pour such storylines into NPCs and quests and challenges. I'd guess at a single release, like a Jan release for a beta with such content. - Then they need to betatest that to work out kinks or blockages.

The only thing that would make me worry about single player is if RG suddenly says his account has been hacked and those files are gone or compromised.

Now if I'd venture a guess we won't be seing any advanced immersive companions in E1. instead fairly scripted ones that only react to specific input recipes - like first time in a new location or somesuch.

12. FireLotus

I absolutely agree! You guys can debate as much as you want, in the existing threads. :D Creating new ones just clutters up the ideas and feedback, meaning the team is more likely to inadvertently miss out on it.

13. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

Well now that the FireLotus bashing is out of the system...

Look at the goods from her post. (Keeping positive and productive)
    Yellow: As long as you can trust them and have the faith in their word. This should be enough.
    Purple: This reaffirms why we have not seen anything from the Yellow.
    Orange: Their current focus and reason for the topics being given attention.

Sure, wanting info/updates is always desirable. It's not always possible. Consolidated and productive efforts is all that is being asked. Not hard.

Dame Lori likes this.
  14. Koldar

Koldar Avatar

If your post was moderated, and you did not receive a personal warning from me, consider this your official warning. Your post was moderated because it was either off topic or argumentative.

Rather than argue with each other or get upset that the development team has gone silent on topics, mindfully consider what LB had to say earlier (I will link it for you):

As a closing thought before I open this thread back up and get off my soapbox, it took me less than 10 seconds to find the above quote by using the search feature in the upper right hand corner of the forum. My search string? "Offline". I refined my search by adding "RichardGarriott" to the posted by field. It was the - only - post.

Please keep it on topic, curb any personal attacks, and keep in mind the development team is hard at work building the game that we have all contributed to...which is why they are not answering every post in the forum (another reason to minimize the number of duplicate threads).

Ned888, TheMadHermit, smack and 5 others like this.
  15. Vyrin

Vyrin Avatar

Although that was a good things to reference, there were two things at the beginning that give one pause. LB mentioned that UO shed some story and elements of the SP games to get UO out the door, such as the virtues. Also, everything in the video has a disclaimer stated at least twice, that things may change. Thus, it doesn't truly provide any "answers". This generates concerns as much as it answers them.

The point is there is still a lot of room to discuss the dynamics of single player, as the information provided so far has been quite minimal and always with caveats. So I'm hoping that a few bad posts won't get this thread shut down, since a significant segment of the community still needs to have a voice. The discussion would be more positive if people took specific single player points and turned them into threads, or bumped existing threads on companions, etc.

Can I suggest a forum category for the single player dimension of SoTA? :)

Aldo, Trenyc, Alexander and 5 others like this.
  16. Sir Cabirus

Sir Cabirus Avatar

I agree, PvP has one, so a dedicated forum category for the single player topics shouldn't hurt anybody :)

Vyrin, rune_74, Trenyc and 5 others like this.
  17. Margard

Margard Avatar

Agree

Vyrin, rune_74, Trenyc and 3 others like this.
  18. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

I totally agree....

Vyrin, Sir Cabirus and Margard like this.
  19. Sir Cabirus

Sir Cabirus Avatar

For all the people who want to know more about companions, Gabriel Nightshadow has put two questions in the Week of September 12th Dev Q&A Thread so far, which treats this topic. Go and like it if you want to know more about this aspect. Thank you Gabriel Nightshadow for contributing this :)

20. Turk Key

Turk Key Avatar

I assume that the endpoint of Episode one will be the same for all the modes. Has anyone considered that the endpoint could be reached by completely different routes? For example, in the multiplayer mode, getting through a chokepoint, or killing a boss could absolutely require a multiplayer assault. In the offline mode the mechanics of killing the boss or bridging the choke point could be radically different. I bet that once you finish the offline mode, playing the online mode will have enough differences as to be a thoroughly enjoyable experience too. Discussions concerning the mechanics of the two modes is not even the same analogy as comparing apples to oranges. We have a clue so far about the oranges, but rather than apples, we may have broccoli.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.