SPO, FPO, OPO which will you play most.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by JAMorton, Dec 5, 2013.

?

Which Mode will you play Sota in the most ?

1. SPO

12.3%
  2. FPO

10.8%
  3. OPO

76.9%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Owain

Owain Avatar

Offline means offline - I think that means no updates, perhaps, unless you buy an update CD. Updating offline is an extra expense, after all.

2. Owain

Owain Avatar

If you don't flag for Open PvP, you will never see PKs, so you can stay OPO.

3. By Tor

By Tor Avatar

I Believe The Devs Mentioned That Offline Play Would Not Be Able To Sync With The Online World.

4. BillRoy

BillRoy Avatar

It won't I believe but should include bug-fixes and re-balancing skills, monsters, and fine tuning.
    As to weather that will be regular or only patches when you buy expansions I don't know, but hopefully it would be regular.
    At least as long as the game is active and running.

jondavis and By-Tor like this.
  5. coder1024

coder1024 Avatar

No, I don't think so. Offline means you can play it offline without an internet connection and it doesn't need to "phone home" or anything. But should you choose to download updates/patches, those would likely apply for the offline game mode too. Not updates like someone placing a house obviously, but if the devs change a scene or add new contents, I'm sure they'll offer updates via download, and downloading and installing those would effect offline mode as well. Its not a separate game, its just a different way to play the game and so would take advantage of any updates.

As for a CD, I don't think they'd ever require you to buy an update CD. They'd likely offer it for download on their site.

BillRoy likes this.
  6. coder1024

coder1024 Avatar

Right, I wasn't talking about synch'ing with the online world, just major content updates. If they add a new area for example and provide an update for it, you could download and apply that update and offline mode would see that then.

BillRoy likes this.
  7. By Tor

By Tor Avatar

I Would Hope They Would! If They Don't, Its Punishing People For Playing Offline.

BillRoy likes this.
  8. Umbrae

Umbrae Avatar

Well the worse case example would be waiting for EP2. Really depends on how much they change things between episodes, but they seemed to indicate that's when the map would open up and new skills and features would be added.

BillRoy likes this.
  9. draykor darkale

draykor darkale Avatar

I would doubt I would step outside of opo much tbh, I like being part of a community.

Time Lord and BillRoy like this.
  10. Owain

Owain Avatar

It's not punishing people if you give them exactly what they are asking for. Richard Garriott initially never even thought of offline play, but during the Kickstarter, he got a lot of requests for exactly that from people who were mostly worried about games snooping on them if they play online.

11. By Tor

By Tor Avatar

I'm Just Referring To Patching Updates, Bug Fixes, etc.

12. Deus_Irae

Deus_Irae Avatar

OPO until perhaps some organized RP community takes off. But I do prefer a packed game world.

BillRoy likes this.
  13. Owain

Owain Avatar

Some people don't even want that if it's done online. Seriously.

14. By Tor

By Tor Avatar

Cyberphobia?

15. Owain

Owain Avatar

Yep.

By-Tor likes this.
  16. coder1024

coder1024 Avatar

One of the first things listed for R1 testing was the download/patching process. I think its safe to assume that by release they'll have a patcher in place where you simply fire it up and get the latest updates. The only thing you'd have to wait for until EP2 would be EP2 content! Any updates to EP1 will probably just come through the patcher and be available in offline mode as well as online mode.

17. Umbrae

Umbrae Avatar

Some people don't have internet or good internet or want their software connecting without their approval. There are many people in the DRM free crowd that feel this way because any form of "phoning home" could be considered DRM.

18. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

I am an OPO kinda guy. I want to feel a living world, be social, get the total experience. But I do have some old school RPG friends that will never step foot into OPO so FPO will happen from time to time.

BillRoy likes this.
  19. Mavro

Mavro Avatar

For sure with everyone, nothing beats true variety of different people. I like how everyone has a totally different style and way of doing things, makes a way more interesting world indeed.

Asclepius and BillRoy like this.
  20. Silent Strider

Silent Strider Avatar

Given that the game won't have a subscription, will have to update for players that are playing online, and that a single player can play both online and offline, I serious doubt this. Restricting updates would have no economical benefit; instead, it would require Portalarium to actually support two different and intentionally out of sync versions of the game, which means greater support expenses.

Now, if the player don't want to even install updates to his game, that is another thing entirely. But for those that are willing to install updates, I expect their offline games to be kept in sync with the online one as far as anything not directly created by players go.

Time Lord and BillRoy like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.