Starting Locations

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Kytail, Nov 23, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kytail

Kytail Avatar

Yet another question on my list that I couldn't readily find an answer to. Unless it's been covered elsewhere on the forums, I suspect that only a developer could provide an answer. If it's been covered, I would kindly ask that someone point me in the direction of such thread/post.

The Player Instructions indicate that, "Avatars now begin in the village of Soltown in Novia after completing their virtue appropriate tutorial." I'm wondering if this will "always" be true (or at least for Ep1).

Will avatars be "arriving" (spawning) in different cities other than Soltown?
    If true, will players have a choice of where their avatars start?
    Whether players can choose or not, can you provide us a list of what cities/towns avatars will be starting in?
    Thank you.

Aldo and Numa like this.
  2. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

they're only going to soltown right now because soltown is complete. i think jaanaford will be another starting area, and a third for the third virtue.

Logain, Numa and 4EverLost like this.
  3. Kytail

Kytail Avatar

Any official response on this? Even if the answer is "we don't know yet" or "we're not going to tell you yet", that would be fine.

I believe I saw something in the Tips that said something about starting in Norgard... But that's not a city. :p

Lastly, how popular is Brittany anticipated to be? Is it anticipated to be a hustlin' bustlin' city like Britain was in Ultima Online?

4. Solstar

Solstar Avatar

I can't get you a quote at the moment but Soltown is 100% only a placeholder for the other two virtue quests. Brittany is poised to be the major hub of episode 1.

Kytail likes this.
  5. Eriador

Eriador Avatar

Jaanaford will be added soon.

Kytail likes this.
  6. Kytail

Kytail Avatar

Thanks!

Now some "final" questions (yeah, right... I'll always have more questions, I'm sure!):
    1. Is the pathway (the boat ride) between Ardoris <--> Kingsport the only planned route between islands at this time? (Has there been any other discussions about more paths between these?)
    2. Has there been any discussion about where "more islands in Ep2" will connect to Novia?
    3. If changes are made to a POT via the submission form you speak of, when would the changes take place? I'm assuming in the next release or maybe 2 releases (depending on the build schedule)...

7. 4EverLost

4EverLost Avatar

1) there are already other places that connect Novia and Hidden Vale. Owls Head <==> Solace Bridge, Sewer to Sewer - forgets which one but they all connect somehow:rolleyes:, think inside Ardoris had a boat, and probably one other spot I'm forgetting somewhere along the line.

Other 2, no idea:p

Ice Queen and Kytail like this.
  8. Kytail

Kytail Avatar

Reminds me of T2A expansion for some reason. >_<

Neat! I did stumble through a moongate at Solace Bridge at some point. I fought some wolves and archers, walked out to the overland map.... and panicked. I went back to the moongate and waited for it to light up again. I say "waited," but I was only hoping it would open back up again. And, thankfully it did and I was back to familiar territory again.

This sewer-to-sewer you speak of: where's this at?

9. Traveller13

Traveller13 Bug Hunter

Ardoris-Soltown-Solnia and Kingsport-Owl's Head. There are other locations linked, as well.

Kytail likes this.
  10. Noric

Noric Avatar

Is this even the case anymore? I mean i started at Highvale and i think i had to walk back to Soltown..

11. 4EverLost

4EverLost Avatar

There are various entrances to the sewer - an underground connecting tunnel of confusion - might be good to go in with someone with a sense of direction:rolleyes:.

Some of the entrance I remember - Soltown, Owl's Head, Ardoris, - thinks also Solania, but not sure on this one - one in the pit of death mines - can't remember it's name (one of those mines with a lich, skeletons, spiders and killer bunnies).

Ice Queen and Kytail like this.
  12. 4EverLost

4EverLost Avatar

Gate thing? I hear there is a timer on it.

Ice Queen likes this.
  13. Kytail

Kytail Avatar

Seems to be related to moon phases, best I could tell by looking at it.

4EverLost likes this.
  14. Kytail

Kytail Avatar

Thanks for the answers, guys (and gals, if applicable). Hopefully I can get answers to the other questions I had, but it sounds like I'll only be able to get those answered by Devs, huh? :p

15. Traveller13

Traveller13 Bug Hunter

I can't remember its name right now, either. That's why I went with the "other locations linked" phrase. :D

4EverLost likes this.
  16. Noric

Noric Avatar

I didn't know that until later, and back when we only needed to go though one pass it was probably faster to walk it than to wait for it to cycle. With nightshade it might no longer be the case. Also, i think the tutorial section directed me to go to the overland map from Highvale rather than through the gate (it was actually behind where i started)

17. Lum the Mad

Lum the Mad Developer Emeritus Dev Emeritus

Paths for new players will be:

Solace Bridge -> Soltown -> Ardoris (Path of Love / ranger) (this is currently in, Ardoris needs narrative polishing)
    Blood River -> Aerie -> Vertas (Path of Truth / mage) (Aerie still needs to be added, Steve is working on it right now. Vertas needs a lot more narrative love.)
    Highvale -> Resolute -> Valhold (Path of Courage / fighter) (Resolute is currently in progress, Highvale needs some work)

This will all be in well before Episode 1 release; we send new players to Soltown now because that's the only part of Novia that contains content suitable for newer characters.

18. Kytail

Kytail Avatar

Thank you, @Lum - this is exactly the information I was looking for!

Roper Docholiday likes this.
  19. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

Dear Lum

20. Ice Queen

Ice Queen Avatar

Nice, that's good to know :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.