Steam Reviews and on sale for only $19.99

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Greyfox, Dec 22, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Greyfox

Greyfox Avatar

I currently have 294 Steam games in my Library. Many of the games are "MMO" sandbox types. They have ranged in price from about $10 to $60. Games such as Rust, 7 Days, ARK, Chivalry, H1Z1, Life is Feudal, The Long Dark, Stranded Deep, The Forest, Wurm Unlimited, and many full MMOs like ESO and LOTRO.

Many of my Steam games such as Rust, H1Z1 have been stuck in perpetual development with little progress. Shroud, each month, demonstrates significant progress. Occasionally they really screw things up with a bad nerf or a significant bug. Yet each time the team is quick to respond and either dial back an oppressive nerf or fix the bug.

For under $10 the amount of entertainment available right now in our game is significant and expanding. Without hesitation I'd recommend Shroud as the best value of any game on all of Steam. Even if someone spends a few hours wondering around Britannia its money well spent.

Considering $10 will barely buy you a burger, fries, and a drink these days. I spent $15 for a burger, fries, and a water yesterday at Five Guys.

2. Insinious FizzleThorpe

Insinious FizzleThorpe Avatar

best hamburger for the buck.. just saying

3. Baratan

Baratan Avatar

Try home made.

Barugon likes this.
  4. Greyfox

Greyfox Avatar

You ain't had a burger until you had a Whataburger. Unfortunately none on the East Coast. The great burger debate is a weekly occurrence in our office. Some freak keeps telling me In N Out is the best. Five Guys is the East Coast version of In N Out with better fries.

5. yobtar

yobtar Avatar

Fatburger for the win!

Duke Gréagóir likes this.
  6. MrBlight

MrBlight Avatar

Blah, you guys just ruined my Big Mac..

7. Insinious FizzleThorpe

Insinious FizzleThorpe Avatar

Yeah I grew up on Whataburger in Florida.. those too were good my friend!

8. Duke Gréagóir

Duke Gréagóir Legend of the Hearth

5 guys burgers in the Midwest suck! :(
    Yeech

9. Kabalyero Kidd

Kabalyero Kidd Avatar

this thread has turned into a "burger" thread... LOL...

Mirjhaf Uth\'Mathar and Numa like this.
  10. Roycestein Kaelstrom

Roycestein Kaelstrom Avatar

Whataburger was the best. Back in college years my buddies will puff some bong around 9-10 pm along with other pregame stuff, then head to someone house party hopping. Then we will end up at whataburger at the end of the night.

Too bad, my local branch got shut down, so we went to Denny's or pita pits instead.

Anyway $20 is really nothing considered you can't even get a carton of Marlboro for that price anymore. It's worth getting people to try. At least they will waste a few hours and one day of lunch money. Their liver won't be damage and their lung wouldn't have a chance of getting cancer stacked up.

11. MrBlight

MrBlight Avatar

20$ is nothing
    Except the fact they broke ranged before the sale.

So not only are 1/3 of the players logging in going to have massive ranged combat issues, on top of the absolutly frustrating tutorial...
    Bad Devs. Already had someone try it out, nearly quit during the tutorial, and then get VERY annoyed very quickly, Luckily i talked him into trying bludgeon.
    Comeon tho ..

12. Roycestein Kaelstrom

He has been baptized by bugs!

13. MrBlight

MrBlight Avatar

Just thinking for everyone who doesnt HAVE someone to talk them through that BS.
    Will be some bad reviews because that bug.

Sir_Hemlock and GreyMouser Skye like this.
  14. Roycestein Kaelstrom

Just worry about those whom you can reach out. For folks who run into issues and not willing to seek help on the forum or discord, then we can't do much to help them.

Sara Dreygon likes this.
  15. Duke Gréagóir

Duke Gréagóir Legend of the Hearth

Oh yea. Where I live we have an entire area just for bong lovers... [​IMG]

Numa and Roycestein Kaelstrom like this.
  16. MrBlight

MrBlight Avatar

=P Except my characters useless atm.
    So my reaching out isnt as goood as it normally would be.
    Im super super unimpressed its broke yet again. I dont know the reason behind it, but i think its pretty redicoulous that they are having a desync issue this far into development, to a point where ranged hits dont register.
    Having followed a lot of starter games.. between that and the aweful targeting system.. its 2 main mechanics they need to finish already as its .. frankly embaressing.
    (and i say this , as you know, as a huge advocate of the game. ) Very happy with the performance update, but the fact these issues still pop up is pretty nuts ( also this is 2 weekends now that i simply cant play my character ).
    Ah well, hope it doenst impact too many starting people..

Roycestein Kaelstrom likes this.
  17. Roycestein Kaelstrom

The range combat bugs could be mainly due to the change with the elevation-based damage bonus afaik. While some glyph attacks turned useless after the release, the charged regular attacks have become much more powerful based on couple range folks that I talked to.

One can just hope that people read the review before decide to make a purchase or at least post/read on Steam forum for "is it worth buying?" thread, then make decision based on that. I can foresee that the upcoming cover system may introduce some more side effect. People will play, then bug report issues as they found and the dev will work on fixing them. Given that development life cycle after each release seems to be like 1-2 weeks of bug fixes through patches, then push new changes to the QA and let people test it out a week before release. They are relatively fast in getting things done/fixed, but at this state of development, we'll just have to go through some rough bumps here as part of participating in early access.

18. Timmy Vortex

Timmy Vortex Avatar

First it was a review.. then about burgers..now about archery... i'm lost or it might be the beer :p

majoria70 and Numa like this.
  19. Ice Queen

Ice Queen Avatar

I never linked my account to steam, but if I linked to steam today, I couldn't leave a positive review in its current state or recommend it to anyone. I wish that weren't the case, I do. I have played Sota a lot for years now (except the last 3 or 4 months). I want it to do well and be a good game for me to play, but the reality for me currently is it just looks and plays like a free to play cash shop tablet game. I spent so much money on Sota that now I'm just embarrassed to admit to the amount anymore, so I'm not someone who wishes it to be unsuccessful.

In my opinion it's not worth $19.99. :( I don't say that to be mean either. For me Sota isn't old school or hardcore. Instead it's grindy and it looks and plays like a tablet game, is outdated, seems to lack solid direction, and adds no new innovation for the genre. It doesn't bring anything to the table that other games in the genre already don't do better.

I still hope it stays around for those that do love the game though and hope you get more people added to game. I myself still have my accounts and family's accounts to come back to, should Sota take a turn for the better, I still hope it does. I hope the best for the game and it's community no matter what happens though and wish everyone a Merry Christmas and a healthy and prosperous New Year.

Kaisa and Canterbury like this.
  20. Rada Torment

Rada Torment Community Ambassador (ES)

A counterexample to last comment, I want to say that I have been playing and testing SotA for more than two years now, and I have my account linked to Steam (I'm a big supporter of Valve and Steam). I already have more than 1600 hours played and I'm willing to write a positive review soon (maybe Q1 next year).

I'm loving the game, loving how devs are working hard and loving even more the community we have. Graphics are moving foward to a really good point, combat is x100 better than a year ago, and we finally getting new content.

With this all, I could not imagine moving myself to another MMO right now tbh, and I have been playing them since 97.

Keep up the good work Portalarium!

Last edited: Dec 24, 2016
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.