STEAM

Discussion in 'New Player Experience Feedback' started by Aldornia, Jun 6, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aldornia

Aldornia Avatar

I'm wondering what the advantages of STEAM are. Except for the maps, the game seems to play okay now without it. Am I missing something by not downloading STEAM?

2. Pounce

Pounce Avatar

As faar i understand people like to do it over steam for community reasons (challenges, telling what you play and so on)

So kinda an twitter thing without the TWITT

3. Browncoat Jayson

Browncoat Jayson Legend of the Hearth

Steam can download updates for you automatically, so it can help you be ready to play when you get home. However, downloads there are typically larger due to the way they patch.

There are a few achievements on Steam, trading cards for playing, and digital bonuses (wallpapers, etc) but nothing substantial.

Playing on Steam does not affect the game itself.

4. Jens_T

Jens_T Avatar

Patching was much faster, steam bundles a couple of games and allows for easy access. Also Portalarium asked to test Steam years ago...

5. Baratan

Baratan Avatar

I use Steam for the in-game overlay which I use to communicate with people playing other games, FPS counter and to always keep the game up to date and manage my screenshots and upload them automatically.

Alleine Dragonfyre likes this.
  6. Aldornia

Aldornia Avatar

Thanks for response.

7. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

my main duke level account is on steam and I have an alt with the main client. I kick myself for using steam, you lose a lot of control over your account. Go with the main client from the SOTA site if not to late.

CrandalltheFoole and Arianna like this.
  8. Baratan

Baratan Avatar

AFAIK all you lose is the ability to sell your account.

9. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

Exactly, lets not minimize the importance of that key fact. You lose control over your account.

10. Baratan

Baratan Avatar

You're not losing a lot of control over your account you simply cannot unlink it from Steam to sell it. That's all.

FrostII and Duke Gréagóir like this.
  11. Katu

Katu Avatar

I have hundreds of games in Steam, not just Sota. One launch pad for all of my games. If this is your only game, its hard to recommend steam then. With friends, its nive, with the chat and voice communication.

HOWEVER, steam does offer 2 step verification ( strong password and phone authentication). So it offers more safety for your game collection.

MrBlight and Alleine Dragonfyre like this.
  12. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

If you bought a car and then were told you cant sell your car, would you consider that you have lost control over the ownership of your car? Your house? Anything you have paid for?

13. Baratan

Baratan Avatar

This is a PC game bro, none of the other things that people generally consider resealable investments. Reselling PC game accounts is the outlier here.

It's true that you can't sell a SotA account that's linked to a Steam account but that's a non factor to most players

14. Pounce

Pounce Avatar

What worries me, should steam fold for any reason your game collection is poof....

15. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

a torrent client that can read rss feeds can watch for updates and grab them too. you do still have to run the patcher, but the download is done.

16. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

I think you are making an assumption and conclusion that are not generally true. In fact, one of the best things about this game is to be able to sell off things.

I will use myself as an example. I have put $10,000 into this game and through sells I have gained $9,000 of that back.

That is a fallacy called "argumentum ad populum".

17. Alleine Dragonfyre

Alleine Dragonfyre Avatar

Steam is much better with patching. It's faster and does it in the background while playing the game without user interaction. Usually when there are multiple patches a day, the patch is already downloaded in the background when I find out we've patched. If anyone has concerns about uploading (throttling, speed, etc) Steam only downstreams so there is no upload concern where peer2peer might be a problem...such as satellite connectors or folks that have slow er connections.

Using Steam helps the game's popularity and presence as it shows when you're playing it. It's got a great overlay and superior screenshot sharing capabilities. If you're an ACTUAL gamer and not just playing one MMO, it's invaluable in keeping up with the latest releases, peer reviews and a way to explore games one otherwise would not know about.

There is a community on Steam. It's the kind you can build yourself, much like Facebook in that you choose what and who you interact with. It's great as a resource for information, guides, walk-throughs, and just a lot of stuff one would never think of if they just go buy a game itself.

It has a HUGE library of independent and small shop games. This is important and keeps things creative and innovative.

To answer the question about "What if Steam folds and you're left with no games?" That's a solid concern. I, for one however, know for a fact that once I finish a game there is about a 0.0001% chance I'll ever replay it. So, like watching a movie, I don't care if I own it unless it's REALLY special. We still buy collectors editions of games we truly love. Drizzet has all the Assassin's Creed boxes, for example. I own all the Sims. But most everything else? Feh, I don't need 200 old game boxes. Sell them? Sure when Gamestop still traded PC games MAYBE but it's a pain and their value degrades faster than a Chevy...so, no big loss there.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2018
    Montaigne, Baratan and Katu like this.
  18. Baratan

Baratan Avatar

I think this only matters if you're interested in selling your account and projecting yourself on everyone around you, which is fine. People on Steam can sell of things too, just not their account. So unless you're interested in selling your Sota Account it's a moot point.

Alleine Dragonfyre likes this.
  19. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Well one negative I've heard of is that you can't easily sell your property if you bind to steam well if you can not easily. I am sooo sorry I did this when we first got steam even though I had no plans to use steam with the game for some reason it made it sound like we needed to key bind it but that was totally my bad.

20. Alleine Dragonfyre

Alleine Dragonfyre Avatar

This may explain part of why Steam numbers are so low. There are many empty POTs and houses people bought in "speculation" and "to turn a profit" that they don't actually play. Sad, really, when the people who DO play might otherwise be populating all these NPC towns, etc.

Baratan likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.