[SUSPENDED] PVP Series - it's time to get involved

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Gideon Thrax, Nov 10, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gideon Thrax

Gideon Thrax Avatar

11/29/2016 - I'm putting the PVP Series on the back burner until the newly announced PVP mechanics are brought into the game. Blood Bay should be a real treat, can't wait!

11/16/2016 - The cat is out of the bag - @Chris dropped a R36 major changes post where he talks about the PVP/multiplayer bonus people will be receiving for flagging. It's time to dust off that armor folks and get ready to party. Lots of other notable changes coming that may affect deck builds for some of you as well.

The PVP series is in it's planning stages and will continue to rally support for a full spread of events, discovery, and adventure. Post below to show your support and dial in your deck because the prize pool is already strong at 300 COTO and is bound to grow even more before the series kicks off. There will be opportunity for everyone at every level.

See you guys in multiplayer! Whoo-hoo!

========================

11/10/2016 - There are some changes coming to PVP starting with R36 - folks in Dev+ are already talking about it... so, me being me I thought it would be fun to promote a series of PVP events that expose players to all manner of immersive PVP gameplay... Thrax Bank is guaranteeing a minimum of 100 COTO for a prize package that will go to the Grand Champion of the series.

Now, to plan the events... does anyone have any ideas? :D

And of course there needs to be a greater number of prizes added to the pool... Anyone interested in pledging/donating a prize (gold, service, item, something else?) post it here or shoot me a PM. Prizes can be for the general pool (top ranked champions) or pledged for a specific win (ex. grand champion, best archer, worst thief ever, shardfall ninja harvester, roadrunner, guardian angel, etc...)

Prize Pledges and Donations
    100 COTO @Duke Avery - Thrax Bank RETURNED
    200 COTO @Hazard RETURNED

========================

I'm imagining a series of quests, shardfall events, tournaments, games, social activities - and maybe even some PVE style events with a PVP twist - all PVP events will have room in this series. A social event where the dress code is crafted wearables only, perhaps? And of course the obligatory tournament series - I'm hoping every tournament contributor and governor of a PVP town will sound off here for an event and contribution to the prize pool.

PVP Series Event Ideas
    Arena Tour - weekly event
    Full-Contact Gustball - limited glyph team event
    Shardfall Sprint - solo/team event
    Ruin Rampage - solo/team event
    Hunt for Red - virtue world event
    Capture the Flag - hosted by @Womby on the Isle of Ghosts

Social Event
    Flash Quest
    Adventure Quest
    Treasure Hunt
    Poker Run
    Castle Defense (PVE town)
    Castle Defense (PVP town)
    War

========================

Oh, if only there was someone that knew how to put together a PVP flash-quest... *cough *cough @Pikegirl

Here's the list of Open PVP Locations - and some of the PVP POT governors that might be interested: @Amber Raine @Acaelus Fireharp @ashmaul @Themo Lock @GraveDncer @Brickbat @Abydos @E n v y @Mal Hari @Elgarion @Necrotic Storm @Baron Drocis Fondorlatos @Turin @Dhanan @Senash Kasigal @Violation Clauth - get your guild involved - there's likely going to be some great PVP team events.

But don't think these events need to be restricted to PVP POTs... Any POT governor wanting to host some type of PVP event should speak up - the only theme here is PVP... social events, tournaments, scene sprints, questing, harvesting, grinding, arena combat, crafting, it's all on the table. How many ways can PVP be incorporated into the way we already play?

I have a number of properties throughout New Britannia that I'm ready to use to support events as well as a Keep in Celestis - but I'll need to decorate it and the arena. Hmmmm - any crafters/decorators looking to help me out, please shoot me a message.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2016
  2. null2

null2 Avatar

I think there should be a PvP arena tour. Weekly tournaments that change location. Go to Owl Sky City, Chaos Caverns, Rift's End, and other POT PvP arenas. In addition, we would tour the existing PvP arenas. There is one for team PvP in Ardoris, and one for Free For All / 1v1 in Owl's Head.

Audacity, Leelu, Numa and 2 others like this.
  3. Hazard

Hazard Avatar

I'm not a die-hard PvPer but understand its importance and the crowd it can potentially bring in. I'll donate 200 COTO to help you out and spread out this out a few events or such. I'm typically available in the late evening, Pacific time [or if not can dropbox to one of your Thrax bank locations].

Last edited: Nov 10, 2016
    Lace, Rada Torment, Leelu and 6 others like this.
  4. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

My PVP scene is always available to those who want to use it for events, just get a hold of me, Sean Silverfoot or Nanoc if you need things set up to fill your needs.

Leelu, Numa and Duke Avery like this.
  5. Ben_Hroth

Ben_Hroth Avatar

As a relatively new player who has only done PvE, this sounds interesting!

Could gustball be a full-contact sport? I'm not talking necessarily PK'ing but it would be nice to be able to use limited glyphs (gust, chaotic backdraft, ice field, confusion) on everyone.

6. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

we used to play it that way yes :)

x_Selene_x, Leelu, Vaentorian and 3 others like this.
  7. Vaentorian

Vaentorian Localization Team

I'm really not a PVPer but would love to play some old-style gustball, happy to be the ball if I'm free at the time!

I might also be a contender for the 'worst thief ever' since I'm generally devoted to the path of truth - can I be in the running if I just walk up to the mark and ask them if they wouldn't mind giving me a small donation? With zero points in subterfuge of course.

8. golruul

golruul Avatar

I can't wait to see the reactions of people if this goes live.

Leelu likes this.
  9. Gideon Thrax

Gideon Thrax Avatar

I know right! There are going to be so many new players interested in PVP now, this might actually break the internet. :) Very exciting times - R36 is going to be awesome!

Leelu likes this.
  10. golruul

golruul Avatar

Lol. That... is not what I imagine the reactions will be. I'm confident there will be a huge outpouring of negative feedback.

But, heck, maybe I'm too pessimistic. Maybe I'll be wrong and majority will react as you describe, but I really doubt it. We'll see.

Leelu likes this.
  11. Gideon Thrax

Gideon Thrax Avatar

I imagine the reaction will be something more along the lines of people logging into multiplayer :D

Leelu likes this.
  12. Numa

Numa Avatar

Dammit, the suspense is killing me :( R36 better not be late.

Duke Avery and Leelu like this.
  13. Numa

Numa Avatar

There's a sizable number of players (me included) that have been waiting for PvP to be more significant than the usual stalk-kill-loot-taunt thingy that usually passes for "immersive" gameplay. Make it worth our time & truly make it interesting then many of us will jump in.

14. Gideon Thrax

Gideon Thrax Avatar

I updated the OP with a link to the R36 major changes post. Good things are coming - and this is a great step in the right direction to balancing the world for meaningful PVP. Prep your kit and tweak your deck - PVP gets real in R36!

Numa and Fister Magee like this.
  15. Cinder Sear

Cinder Sear Avatar

TEASERS!!! GIVE ME MORE!

Duke Avery likes this.
  16. Audacity

Audacity Avatar

I'd love to see more low to mid level pvp. I totally want to do more, but I can't go toe to toe with the pvp gods from Virtue League (yet :) )

17. Alexander

Alexander Avatar

I think that this in itself scares some people away from PVP, because they then find themselves going up against super powerful players. I know that even with my character, I wouldn't stand a chance against someone who has built their character up and is a master at PVP strategy. Yet, I feel the desire to jump into it sometimes.

Numa, Audacity and Duke Avery like this.
  18. Gideon Thrax

Gideon Thrax Avatar

I've actually been thinking a lot about this and will propose weight-classes for some of the events/tournaments... I'll need input from the veteran PVP warriors on how to best separate folks - but this is definitely something that will be given consideration. Besides, the prize pool is just getting started - there's hopefully a lot more donations coming and I intend to see a wide distribution of awards so everyone can get in on the game.

Alexander likes this.
  19. Alexander

Alexander Avatar

Personally, I would consider my self a rookie as I really don't PVP, but would like to learn or try it out. I like your idea.

20. Numa

Numa Avatar

Quoting the relevant passage on PvP bonuses :

"We’re also trying out a few changes we’re just referring to as “Experimental”. These are changes we expect to tweak and are just looking to see how they impact some of our metrics. The first is that players who are flagged PVP and playing in multiplayer mode will receive a 25% experience bonus. The goal is to reward the extra risk that PVP players take since we still do not have systems in place for other measurable rewards in PVP. We’ll be looking to see how this impacts players playing in PVP and also multiplayer mode. My guess is this will change into something like a 10% bonus for players in multiplayer mode and 10% bonus for being PVP in future releases."

This is huge - why is there going to be negative feedback about this ??

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.