Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Tamed pet gone

Discussion in 'Release 26 Feedback Forum' started by Brightstar, Feb 14, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brightstar

Brightstar Avatar

I had a tamed Large Timber Wolf attack some elves and he died, then I died. By the time I got back to my dead pet, the pet body was gone and so I couldn't resurrect it. I noticed the summoning timer was counting down for several minutes. So I waited until the summoning timer expired and tried to summon my pet and it said call was unanswered. I looked at my summoning whistle and it doesn't have my pet linked to it. So it looks like I lost my pet. Is this a glitch or is this how its suppose to work? I'm somewhat upset because I spent a lot of time and money just getting that one pet. Also, if by chance this is how it suppose to work, then why is there a summoning timer if you can't get your pet back?

2. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

As is if you do not res them before their body expires they go poof. The summoning timer starts when you summon one. But if you die the timer clears . . . . .

stratigos likes this.
  3. Sindariya

Sindariya Avatar

Pets have permadeath here. Normally you have 3min to rez your own pet and if you press "N" you see nameplates, that includes also the pet. this helps finding the death pet. if the 3min are over your pet is really perma death.

stratigos likes this.
  4. niteowl57

niteowl57 Avatar

Brightstar, I too have felt your pain, more than once. I'll inadvertently adventure into an area with my pet that seems ok at first, then either we are suddenly attacked by too many, that are too high for my level in those numbers (maybe I could survive one or two at a time, just not 5 or 6), and sometimes it also gets dark...the next thing I know, the pet's about to die so I get as far as thinking to Dismiss Pet before that happens, but too slow, oops, pet is dead. I give it the ole college try to kill the mobs by myself so I can rez the pet, but it's futile since the 2 of us were failing to take them all in the first place. Avatar dead, float to Ankh, while trying to pay attention to the path back to the pet, but even when I manage to go the correct general direction to return, the mobs still must be dispatched before I can rez the pet, or worse, half the time I just get lost with no clue where the pet died, nothing on the compass, no glowing banner in the sky....and even if I do find the same area, by the time I die 2 or 3 times trying to kill the mobs so I can rez my pet, the whole ordeal has taken too long and poof, no more pet. I thought I had 5 minutes, but never timed it, maybe it is 3 minutes...for me, it is just not nearly long enough. I solo; no one is helping me except the pet.

A compass marker showing the direction to go to the dead pet would be very nice, as would the ability to rez myself at the Ankh, then cast Rez Pet and have it work anywhere in the zone so I can then Teleport Pet back to me, or visa versa, teleport the dead pet's corpse to me so I can then Rez Pet. After countless hours raising my skills to invade the mine and survive, many more countless hours farming the ore, wood, etc to craft the whistles and collars, and getting my first pet, I was pretty depressed to discover I'd lost it, despite trying to be careful. If I can't usually get the pet back after it dies (and I find that no, too often I can't), then I'm thinking I have no business having a pet, yet I often need its help exploring. Some of the pets are so beautiful, and it's fun while it lasts. I have seen my pet run away from a fight to survive once, but I think a lot of the time, it isn't (yes I turned off the skill making them stay and fight at a lower heath). So when we both die, trying to replace the pet isn't much fun.

Thanks for the tip to press 'N' to see nameplates Sindariya, I will see if that helps.

Kara Brae and stratigos like this.
  5. Attenwood

Attenwood Portalarian Emeritus Dev Emeritus

@Brightstar @Weins201 @Sindariya @niteowl57

This is currently by design. Brutal? Yes. But we don't typically go out of our way to hold hands. Using a pet should have a risk attached to it, and having permadeath is it.

That said, we already have some options for the savvy adventurer to protect their pet. Dismissing their pet before they die, aka commanding them to run away, is the first and current option. A new change that will be going live in R27 is that tamed pets will no longer die if you die first. Assuming you get into a tricky area and manage to get yourself killed while your pet still has health, your pet will dismiss itself (run away) instead of dying like it used to. This provides a little more compromise to protect pets from unreasonable permadeath that we feel comfortable with.

However, we're always interested in Feedback, and we look forward to the thoughts on the changes and fixes we're doing, so I'll move this thread over to the Feedback forum so that it doesn't fester under the debris and detritus of bugs.

There's a lot of Pet polish done for R27, so expect some changes to talk about then. :)

Attenwood

6. HoustonDragon

HoustonDragon Avatar

I may have a solution... :p
    [​IMG]

7. agra

agra Avatar

Taming in R26 is a bit of an odd situation, compared to the rest of the game.
    Taming collars require silver. Silver, to the best of my knowledge, is only found in one mine in the entire game, at the moment. Maybe it's found elsewhere, but that information is not on these forums or any wiki I've seen.
    So, gated resource acquisition for a skill. You can't just go into the mine at level 10 or 20, you need to be probably 40, to be really safe. Ok, so you start collecting silver at level 40.
    But then, summoning itself is time limited. You can only use the summoning skill infrequently, and that presumes you have the pet already.
    No other skill in the game is like this, and it's a real head scratcher as to why they've raised the barrier to entry to be so high.

Personally, I would have simply made it so you can attempt to tame anything without a collar (for skillups) but you need the collar for the pet to be saved in your whistle. No collar? No whistle? That's cool, the pet is only temporary, in that scene with you. Once you leave or logout, the pet returns to it's spawn point as a normal NPC. Way better than gating a popular skill by a rare resource, imo.

Malcipher and stratigos like this.
  8. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

im actually cool with the perma death thing for pets if you miss the rez timer. taming should not be easy but the whole required crating componate is a frrusterating.. here is my suggestion a craftable collar for each beast type, that crafted collar has a durablity each time its used durabilty takes a hit. the tougher the beast the bigger the durability hit and the more expensive ingreadents required to craft a collar.

rabits should not require silver, where as a purple wyrm silver might noy be enough.

9. Daxxe Diggler

Daxxe Diggler Avatar

I appreciate the fact that you guys don't want to hold hands and want some risk involved with tamed pets. But currently, the pet commands are pretty buggy and they don't always do as you tell them. This results in either lost (permadeath) pets or other complications that can cause you grief.

Half of the time, the pets start out fine and obey your orders (attack your target, stay here, etc.) but sometimes they start getting confused at some point and decide to do whatever they want. Here's an example of something that happens to me often:
    • You start attacking a mob and your pet joins in
    • Other mobs close by respawn by surprise and join in
    • Things get out of hand and you dismiss the pet in the middle of the fight... then you happen to die due to being overwhelmed
    • Ghost back to Ankh and you respawn
    • You summon your pet again to get back to work
    • Your pet still has aggro on the mobs you were fighting before and starts running back to fight them
    • You try to command pet to "Stop Attacking"
    • It returns to your side for an instant, then immediately runs right back for that mob
    • Repeating the "Stop Attacking" command creates a rubber band effect with your pet chasing/returning/chasing/returning
    • Only way to reset the aggro is to set your pet to Passive first, then command to stop attacking, then set it back to Defensive or Aggressive
    There are other strange things that happen too. Sometimes when I'm in mines where I go down ladders, I need to teleport the pet to me. When I do this, it occasionally gets stuck in that location and doesn't follow me after the teleport (even if I command it to follow me). It also gets locked into passive mode or something too because it won't attack anything even if I'm fighting right next to it. I typically have to cycle through all of the pet commands (Passive, stay here, follow me, defensive/aggressive, etc.) until it eventually starts listening to me and decides to help out.

By the way, the "Teleport Pet" command no longer teleports them, it just makes them run back to your location. However, this doesn't always work as they can run into mobs on the way and get aggro on them.

Most of the time, the biggest concern is the short duration on the rez timer when a pet dies though. If you are a solo player and rely on a pet to get to certain areas, it's usually really hard to fight your way back there after an Ankh run and get there before that timer expires. If that timer was extended just a bit it might help out a lot.

Anyway, I like the impending change that the pets will run away if you die first, instead of fighting to the death. That could save a lot of oops situations from becoming a disaster. Hopefully, some of those other buggy situations will get fixed too.

10. Malcipher

Malcipher Avatar

everything yes and then some I agreed with you on multiple levels a specific scene pet for taming and skill ups this I can't thumbs up enough

11. Attenwood

Fixes to pet AI behavior have been implemented for R27 to make them more responsive to commands.

PK U, Mata and Daxxe Diggler like this.
  12. Dirk Hammerstrike

Dirk Hammerstrike Avatar

R26 was my first run at taming... so far other than the silver demand, its been pretty cool.

I would really like to have different levels of taming collar / whistle ... perhaps a very cheap craftable set for non-agro / low agro pets: rabbits, sheep, mutts, doe, etc.. like the current wooden version. Then something that requires iron for low levels, maybe white iron or something for next level, then silver for harder and gold for most difficult?

Weins201 likes this.
  13. Malcipher

Malcipher Avatar

I hate to say it but so far in my experience I have had ZERO trouble stock piling gold and there are multiple places to mine it but silver is in 2 places that I know of and that is it both have mediocre respawn rates and sometimes large delays between nodes showing (the only other place that "had" silver no longer does). that said I do agree with @Dirk Hammerstrike the quality of the taming collar should coincide with the animal you are taming which would lessen the CRAZY amounts of money these current collars are going for i.e. make me poor. :)

on another note I really like an idea said earlier by @agra tamable pets that last as long as you are in that zone you are in or on a timer would rock as long as you did not need a collar to do it kinda like and animal friend.

agra likes this.
  14. Bluefire

Bluefire Avatar

@Attenwood Technically this *is* a bug. Tamed pets are not supposed to stick around until they die. They are supposed to dismiss themselves before they die unless we have leveled up Obedience. Pet death should be nearly non-existent for people who have not invested in obedience unless they pull their brown bear out in front of a dragon.

The changes in R27 sound nice, but it would be great to see the instructions since at least R22 applied as well: "Tamed beasts will also not fight to the death, fleeing when badly injured." It doesn't say, but typically they will stand there anyway until slain because they are so stupid that they don't realize that a 3 against 1 with each hit taking 30% of their health is probably going to kill them in 4 hits. They need to be fleeing more regularly.

niteowl57 and Kara Brae like this.
  15. niteowl57

niteowl57 Avatar

And currently, we are required to level Obedience to at least 10 to get to other skills. I did that and promptly changed it to not training. I don't want my pet to stick around and die but it is doing that anyway. I've only seen it back off from a fight once. Given the choice, I wouldn't get Obedience at all so the pet would run off and heal up before coming back to the fight. A hot key command for dismiss pet would help some too. With several enemy pounding on us, by the time I notice I need to dismiss because it's not running off and is about to die, and I get my mouse to the upper left of the window to right-click and dismiss, I'm often too late, but if I could react as soon as I notice, I would successfully dismiss a lot more often.

agra and margaritte like this.
  16. Attenwood

@niteowl57 @Bluefire
    This is interesting feedback for how players want Obedience and fleeing to behave. Thank you. Will bring it up with the team.

Bluefire and Lord Dreamo like this.
  17. Roycestein Kaelstrom

Roycestein Kaelstrom Avatar

There is already a hot key command for dismissing the pet, but you need to bind it yourself.

However has anyone notice that hot key commands for pet dont work at all in R26?

18. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

Already reported and fixed in R27 bug reported it a while ago :oops:

Roycestein Kaelstrom likes this.
  19. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

Pets are NOT supposed to dismiss themselves, they are supposed to disengage, DO NOT MAKE MY PET DISMISS ITSELF. I do not wan that and I don't not think any other tamer does, ;ets just let the fixes for R27 go in and see how they work.

but again do NOT make pets dismiss themselves!

Roycestein Kaelstrom likes this.
  20. Roycestein Kaelstrom

Roycestein Kaelstrom Avatar

I'm ok with them running away, but no auto-dismiss please.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.