Taming skill vs. Tamed Animal

Discussion in 'Skills and Combat' started by GreyMouser Skye, Jun 9, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rofo

Rofo Avatar

Yes, I don't think either one of us is really like your "placeholder numbers", but the general concept is something I could get behind.

I really don't think there is a need for original owner versus current owner tracking, simply that It takes more skill to tame than to control.
    That way there is still a market to Tame and sell, versus just taming your own.

If they don't want pets to be able to turn on their master, then equipping a taming collar should require a minimum taming/summoning skill.

I went out and bought a Ferocious Red spider last night. Trained my taming up to 10 to unlock heal, trained creature heal up to 10 to get rezz.
    Went to deep ravens woods and let the spider solo the wolves, bears and spiders.
    Worked great until ran into a pathing issue, and ended up in a fight with 4 Large red spiders, and 6 Red spiders I had to flee to save myself. My spider died (after getting all 10 spiders to half or better) and I wasn't able to clear spawn fast enough to rezz the pet.
    So it appears I lost him. I think I could have saved him, had I been more used to the taming mechanics. I think I should have dismissed him, or teleported him to me, simply kept running until I exited, or made sure he died in a better spot, or let myself die instead of the pet.

The whole point was, I didn't have enough skill to tame a bear from a 2 skull area (<1% chance).
    Yet I was able to effectively use the best taming creature in the game.
    He didn't even need my heals unless he had 3 or more on him.
    Personally I don't have a problem with the actual power of the spider, taming one is a feat and those capable of doing it deserve something for their trouble.

I think something will need to be done about no skill tamers having instant access to the top tier power of taming skills, otherwise we are all going to be playing CotA (Creatures of the Avatar).

Leelu and KuBaTRiZeS like this.
  2. EtherBunny

EtherBunny Avatar

This......and we mages can't even get a summon that can hold up against a few creatures in a 2 skull zone, and 3 in a 3 skull zone....your balls deep in crazy to think it would live. Honestly, pets in general (tamed or summoned) need to be looked at as a whole. I think, if they're going to allow level 1 people to run around with Ferocious spiders, I think that the spider should scale down to meet the players level. So that technically, it would be as powerful as the player, maybe a little better (so that he's not running around with a different named Small Wolf Spider). Same for summons, just make the summon actually scale it's "effectiveness" to the players level, so that it doesn't get popped when 2 things hit it with feathers.

3. GreyMouser Skye

GreyMouser Skye Avatar

I am just going to have to disagree then. Taming can still be exclusive and independent, but you have to know Control/Obedience to hang on to a creature. The reason for tagging the skill of the Taming is that the better the tamer, the more compliant the animal for the new owner. If it takes you nothing but taming 1 to go into Deep Ravenswood with a Ferocious Red, then maybe the spider should get all the XP. Definitely not you. I just do not see this as realistic or useful. And it totally does not balance the weak summons.

Moiseyev Trueden and EtherBunny like this.
  4. Sindariya

Sindariya Avatar

This shouldn't be only for the bad ass spider, but for animals. As we can't train the pets we have to make sure, that the beast master has to train itself to make the pet useful like every other combat skill. It is just wrong that you only need summoning on lvl 1 to have all pets available at full power.

5. EtherBunny

EtherBunny Avatar

No no, I agree. I'm just using the bad ass spider as an example, you know, since that is what everyone uses (see above). I've been harping about the mage summons for a while now, and taming honestly is right up there. With the mage summons we have squishy punching bags that last 3 hits, and with taming, well....we have bad ass spider that we can buy and use as soon as we can afford it. I personally think they need to make the pets from both scale with the player. This way, if the player would and should be in a 3 skull zone, then so should the pet. If the player can barely stand in a 2 skull zone, I think the pet should as well. This way, regardless of what you summon or tame, it's only going to be as good as you are, not level 1 taking on 5 skull zones, or level 60 with a pet that dies in less than 20 seconds at the start of an attack.

Moiseyev Trueden likes this.
  6. Rofo

Rofo Avatar

Taming pets really are a cliff, they go from utterly useless like Mage summons, to God-like with very little inbetween.

7. EtherBunny

EtherBunny Avatar

Stupid spider gods......making mage summons look bad since...forever :(

8. Sindariya

Sindariya Avatar

I don't think that works. All animals have lvls, so the bad ass spider is like a lvl 40 to 50 char. And I think it should stay this way. We get more animals in the range of this spider but the devs forgot to make them tameable yet *shakes a fist to the devs*

It is not the pet that has to adjust to the player, it is the other way round. As I said in a early post, they need to raise hurdle to call such pets. The simplest mechanic is to double the focus reduction. 220 Focus is just not enough for the high end animal, 440 is a much better hurdle. To bring a char on this lvl takes effort.

Ice Queen and Moiseyev Trueden like this.
  9. EtherBunny

EtherBunny Avatar

For tames maybe, but that does nothing to the other kind of pets/summons. Also, I really don't think someone level 1, or stupid low level for a ferocious spider, should be able to summon them period. No matter how you look at it, control has nothing to do with it. All you have to do, is go to a zone, summon spider, set to aggressive, stand around and wait. That's it. There's no commanding to it. If it dies, you just rez the spider, that's all you have to do. I think there should be a minimum level just to be able to summon the spider. Lets say the spider is 80 (just spit-balling numbers here), at minimum the player should be 40 just to attempt the summon/whistle/whatever. No matter how you look at it, currently, taming is OP. Magical wizard summons...they can probably be used at NPC children birthday parties....that's about how effective they are at anything. To sum it up: If you want a pet, go taming or just buy one, no difference really, and then you win at SotA.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2016
  10. GreyMouser Skye

GreyMouser Skye Avatar

Raise the focus *and* tie animal to control/obedience. I do not like the pet scaling idea. The creature should be the same always in my opinion.

11. GreyMouser Skye

GreyMouser Skye Avatar

@EtherBunny please edit the cursing in my thread. thank you. But I understand the frustration.

12. EtherBunny

EtherBunny Avatar

@GreyMouser2 Sorry about that, and actually my frustration came from me just dropping $120 on a new power supply for my computer because my previous one decided to esplode itself >.<# But I'll watch myself. :)

(Found and corrected)

GreyMouser2 likes this.
  13. Sindariya

Sindariya Avatar

Tell me just how a lvl 1 char should be able to get 440 Focus to be even able to summon it?

14. GreyMouser Skye

GreyMouser Skye Avatar

Now we need to be careful and clear about the word "level". Adventurer level or skill level? I dislike Adv level ties to anything, but the skill level of 1 is what I refer too.

15. Sindariya

Sindariya Avatar

okay I mean lvl 1 adv level^^

16. EtherBunny

EtherBunny Avatar

Honestly, they wouldn't. But at the same time, when they can get the focus, that's all they would be able to do; just summon it. That then limits the player on literally everything else it can do. Now, I get where you are coming from and that would increase the difficulty in summoning it, or at least make it more tedious, but that's kind of a bit steep. Either way, my main argument is all pets need to be looked at, magical or tamed, doesn't matter, because currently, none of them work as they should.

17. EtherBunny

EtherBunny Avatar

As did I, but I do agree that taming level 1 shouldn't be able to either.

18. Sindariya

Sindariya Avatar

you mean summoning and yes they should work on that too. Controlling a pet should require work and skills.

EtherBunny likes this.
  19. Rofo

Rofo Avatar

Actually at level 50 the tamed spider is still red to me.

And 440 focus is still in easy range of casuals.
    If I reroll Saturday morning, I'll have that by Sunday evening.
    And I'm not even a good powerleveler.
    Medicore at best

Leelu likes this.
  20. GreyMouser Skye

GreyMouser Skye Avatar

I just spent 1 hour and very minimal XP to confuse/torment Watchers so that I could summon a daemon. Obviously it is worthless like all the other summons, but seriously? So yeah, I open focus only and do some minimum adventuring and I can still pass the 440 focus. Of course I cannot do anything else that requires focus, but why would I need to? The beast will do the rest. Right?

Needs balance everywhere. And tie-ins. A magic appearing tamed animal is not that much different from a magic appearing summoned animal. Balance them please @Devs

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.