Teleport to Zone scroll

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Greyfox, Dec 14, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Traveller13

Traveller13 Bug Hunter

I'm old school. I walk across SotAWorld both ways. In the snow. Uphill.

Sentinel2, Gaelis, Greyfox and 2 others like this.
  2. redfish

redfish Avatar

Changes in game mechanics change a game, for better or worse.

And I'm going to leave it to the posters here to decide whether its for the better or worse, but the fact that they change the game <or future game> isn't really a question. They did in UO, they will in Shroud. In UO, runes became the way to advertise your shop, used to avoid PvP, etc. In Shroud, it further erodes regional gameplay, less people will meet overland or use it to find new places or people, lunar rifts will not be meaningful, it will affect the meaningfulness of mechanics around horses and pack animals, etc. etc.

So, saying "nobody is forced to use them" is always a weird argument from my perspective, because what we're talking about is what you want the game to be from a design perspective, not who benefits or loses from a design decision.

In which case, questions like : Is this really needed ? Is the game better this way ? Is there a better way to accomplish this ? are things that actually matter.

Gaelis and Bowen Bloodgood like this.
  3. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

So far, I have only used them when I run off to an area, and realize I have the damn wrong buffs on.... :oops:

FrostII likes this.
  4. craftymethod

craftymethod Avatar

If I want to travel I like games like Eve online where I can enjoy the experience and watch the world go by for 5/10 minutes. Please automate road travel on the overworld map! (as an option)

FrostII likes this.
  5. Turk Key

Turk Key Avatar

Surely this is tongue in cheek!! Everyone knows that the tortoise is among the most heavily armored. But I understand. The tortoise clan has imagined speed prowess ever since the great race was won.

6. Kara Brae

Kara Brae Avatar

Please don’t forget that some groups are very charitable and accept low level or (like me inept) participants out of the goodness of their hearts just to give them an XP boost. It would be ungrateful to keep them waiting. I’ve used teleport to friends scrolls almost exclusively for the purpose of joining groups, since I prefer to travel on foot.

Paladin Michael and FrostII like this.
  7. Paladin Michael

Paladin Michael Bug Hunter

So the question is:
    Do we still need a "Friend Teleportation" separate?
    I would say, no seperate teleport scroll, but the ability to choose a friend to teleport to...

Sure, we could also do without "teleport to friend", so the list would receive what it was thought for:
    A list of friends, to see who is online and to locate them...
    And if we wouldn't have the location, we must travel to him/her and than we could teleport the next time.
    Would be a good way to deal with - just my opinion (and to only have one scroll instead of two) ;)

But, what Kara Brae says above is also a good reason. May be we should get a "Teleport to Group" posibility instead of teleport to friend? ;)

Kara Brae likes this.
  8. Greyfox

Greyfox Avatar

If the population continues to decline teleportation scrolls won’t be an issue. I thank the Developers for changes such as this in an attempt to make SOTA more acceptable to a wider audience.

We tried a game which is tedious, unrewarding, repetitive, and masochistic. Let’s try changing course to ensure the future of this game.

9. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

Shall we just start everyone with a pool of 'levels' to assign at character creation?
    That would eliminate the grind... Level the playing field... No one would be better than anyone else.

We could also simply have a drop down menu for the zone you wish to travel to.

Black Tortoise likes this.
  10. Greyfox

Greyfox Avatar

Good ideas. We need to implement more hardcore options as well. Permanent death, die and start over with nothing. Realistic crafting a full set of armor should require you to "pound" on your keyboard for 4 to 6 years depending upon your skill and RNG until the armor is completed. Full implementation of sleep, and nourishment requirements including the need to eliminate waste, failure to do so will result in disease leading to perma death. Taxes on every earned income, including value added, 65% rate to the King. Lots more but I don't want to scare people away.

11. Addison

Addison Avatar

So is chocolate...
    So are puppies...
    So are the Ultima games...;)

Popularity sometimes does equate to good! :D

12. smack

smack Avatar

At the very least, this now finally gives the offline game a fast travel option.

And since we're going down this path...some further QoL enhancements?

Fix Teleport to Friend so that it also gives you the choice of the scene entry point
    Add Town Crier to the list of scene entry points...or heck, why not just list all discovered compass markers in the scene
    Allow you to increase the number of bind points for the Recall scroll
    Teleporting to Novia or Hidden Vale is a bit vague...perhaps one day it can somehow show you where on the Overworld that is (Region name? nearest Town or POI marker?)
    Come to think of it, why do you need to teleport directly into a scene...perhaps you might want to just teleport to the town on the Overworld? So maybe the list of entry points could also add Overworld location or something?

13. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

No, sometimes popularity coincides with good (or bad). Not quite the same thing.

14. redfish

redfish Avatar

That's cute, but I hope you realize there are survival games with 10,000x the active players that Shroud has.

Anyway, a lot of people think the direction the game is taking is that as it becomes less about role-playing and immersion in the sense SP Ultimas were, the more it will be about grinding. Which will not make the game less tedious, less unrewarding, less repetitive, less masochistic.

I think there are a lot of ways to make the game better that could please both camps, but these threads always get goaded into flamewars for some reason, same as PvP vs PvE threads.

Gaelis and Bowen Bloodgood like this.
  15. Addison

Addison Avatar

I disagree Mr. Pedantic :p. If anything those statements, for good or bad, are really subjective to the individual. Though anyone that doesn't love puppies and chocolate is suspect in my book! ;)

FrostII likes this.
  16. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Well at least I'm only half suspect. ;) But you do realize that if "for good or bad" are subjective.. that applies to your earlier comment as well. :) And yes so SOME degree that is true and in others you can only speculate. Others still are a little more clear cut. This particular subject? Time will perhaps tell.

17. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

Perhaps as an example of "some reason" that "these threads always get goaded", might just be snarky tidbit like - oh, I don't know -

this perhaps:

If telling someone their input is "cute" isn't goading.... then what, pray-tell is ? @redfish

Last edited: Dec 18, 2018
  18. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

And, thankfully.... the times of late are telling us where Port wants to put their money about now...
    And I'm a fan........................;)

19. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

I think that Port has finally come down on the side of - "popular" as coinciding with - "majority" - and let's face it....

It's the majority who'll pay the bills in the long run.

Right guys ?? ;)

Last edited: Dec 18, 2018
    Greyfox likes this.
  20. Black FjP

Black FjP Avatar

I really doubt the "difficulty" of the previous fast travel system was keeping away new players more than stuff like completely wrong tooltips, unintuitive character building that takes a long time to grind, boring repetitive gameplay refreshing the same buffs every 1 or 2 minutes (more often for new players), completely broken quest system full of bugs (the evidence of which is just stuck on the screen the ENTIRE time you play, staring you in the face). The most efficient end game seeming to be grinding the same spot over and over again forever with zero difficulty or attention required.

Ya, no one wants to play becuase you have to walk across the map for 30 seconds sometimes, that's a deal breaker.

redfish and Gorthyn like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.